Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 06-06-2022, 09:24 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritTony
Yeah I do too remind myself of this concept sometimes! I follow someone called Dr Joe Dispenza I love all his work and he mentions looking at it as a ‘date with the divine’ and that when you truly are devoted to whatever it is you may want you will bring your all to the ‘date’ and show up as a noble being! I suppose this is kinda along the lines of what you have just mentioned
I was wondering about that (Joe Dispenza). So you will know it is very good & healthy to mind & body & literally the brain and how it functions to meditate.
Very good to start at a young age with that!

OT - I myself always do visualisations, whether with guided meditation or a bit of music.
Even when without those, I still do visualisations. Never silent meditations if you mean the quieting & emptying your mind with that..

I regularly do the webinars that Diana Cooper offers. Got one tonight on the 5D Solar Plexus. The things she offers are amazing and very high vibrational!

Sometimes I do meditations done by Joe Dispenza, but I have to be in the mood for those as his way is still quite odd to me. I understand it, the why, but I always feel it's a masculine way of going about it.

Sometimes I go to my Sacred Garden which I created years ago. Sometimes it is to get answers, sometimes to meet someone (energy being) etc. etc.

Currently back to doing transmissions from the spiritual centre I've done workshops at years ago. She records some of the transmissions she gives and offers them online.
I sometimes feel called to do one or more, never on the same day as they are very high and intense and the body needs time after one. Lots and lots gets released, often very old energy and patterns that were for instance stored in the liver or kidneys or other tissues. It takes time for the body to release that, also for the body and energy systems to adept to the higher clearer vibration. These transmissions always help bring in tremendous healing and through that, growth.
Old 06-06-2022, 12:44 PM
Master
QUOTE 9 EXCERPT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat

If you want to embrace a more yogic practice then some kind of silent inwards meditation may be more effective. In the eight steps of Raja Yoga as advocated by Patanjali the fifth step is pratyahara or the withdrawal of the senses, leading to concentration, meditation and union.

You're one of the few people here who have even mentioned Pratyahara. It's a practice that I do when walking in a park or walking on the boardwalk as well as at other times. It's particularly interesting to watch what thoughts do break-through ( ) when practicing Pratyahara.
Old 06-06-2022, 01:51 PM
Quote:
... Dr Joe Dispenza I love all his work and he mentions looking at it as a ‘date with the divine’ ...
Well, he stole that from me!

PS The Admin has asked us to only quote 3 sentences tops when quoting members.
Once you know that they are pretty strict here.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 06-06-2022, 08:51 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
You're one of the few people here who have even mentioned Pratyahara. It's a practice that I do when walking in a park or walking on the boardwalk as well as at other times. It's particularly interesting to watch what thoughts do break-through ( ) when practicing Pratyahara.
I am impressed, as personally I find Pratyahara very difficult when walking. The attentions of the senses are continually being pulled outwards.

So when it comes to meditation I don't use guided meditations or listening to music. I prefer the silence of going within.

Having said that, I do listen to binaural beats but for me this is something separate to meditation. It is more about exploring the possibilities of brainwave entrainment.

Peace
Old 07-06-2022, 09:02 AM
Pathfinder
As you have already stated, I don't think there is a right or wrong. Sometimes environment may play a factor. Sometimes I am not in a place of silence so guided meditations play over the background noise and allow me to tune out of my surroundings. Other days it's silent or just the birds singing in the background and therefore silent meditation is preferred etc! I think our body/soul knows when to do which one for the best advancement
John 3:16
Old 07-06-2022, 12:02 PM
Master
QUOTE 14 EXCERPT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
I am impressed, as personally I find Pratyahara very difficult when walking. The attentions of the senses are continually being pulled outwards.

I prefer the silence of going within.

Like yourself, " I don't use guided meditations or listening to music. I prefer the silence of going within." However, as I mentioned in a previous post, I did enjoy guided and group meditation ... in the beginning but no longer.

Pratyahara (Abstinence from the food of the senses) is indeed a challenging practice especially when walking in a public place like a park since "the attentions of the senses are continually being pulled outwards." Normally, it is a solitary practice but I have occasionally done it with friend where we walk together and voice any distraction that triggered a thought. Then we return to the Silence of Pratyahara.

As you pointed out in a previous post, it is indeed a preliminary practice before dharana (concentration), dhyana (meditation), and samadhi.
Old 20-06-2022, 11:31 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
I consider pratyahara a side effect to practicing dharana. Should it really be considered as a separate Limb? Its purpose can only be ancillary to samyama...
Old 21-06-2022, 01:54 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagner
I consider pratyahara a side effect to practicing dharana. Should it really be considered as a separate Limb? Its purpose can only be ancillary to samyama...

You raise a very valid point and that is precisely why Pantanjali's Yoga Sutras are also known as Asthanga (Eight-LIMBED) Yoga. The implication is that one can be working on several limbs simultaneously as you suggested in your post when you said that you considered pratyahara to be a side effect to practicing dharana (concentration). One can indeed work on the two (pratyahara and dharana) simultaneously.

In practice, however, pratyahara is often recommended as a preliminary (5th limb) to dharana (6th limb). By "abstaining from the food of the senses" (pratyahara), one essentially wards off external distractions and this facilitates concentration (dharana). It sounds as if you essentially combined pratyahara and dharana thus making pratyahara seem like a side-effect to concentration.
Old 06-07-2022, 08:02 PM
Knower
Quote:
I feel sometimes as if with guided meditations/relaxed music I feel more present but at the same time I do enjoy the stillness of a silent meditation. What’re your guys takes on this?

Have you asked yourself what your goal is with meditation ? Relaxation, deepening of awareness, resting in stillness, enjoyment, getting used to silence, enlightenment ?

For every goal, there is a different suitable meditation. For relaxation and enjoyment, guided meditation may be suitable. But for enlightenment and deepening of awareness, etc it is silent meditation that is more suitable, IMO.
Old 28-02-2023, 09:59 PM
Seeker

Whatever works works. Some days you cannot focus on one or the other so take the path of least resistance. Muse is my first series of Guided Meditations that I have designed to help you unlock and expand your creativity. I hope you find them of value. Thanks!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8uH...Zs&pp=gAQBiAQB