Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Interfaith

Old 29-08-2021, 07:08 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
QUOTE 2 EXCERPT:As with Miss Hepburn, your last sentence caught my attention most.

While there is admittedly at least some degree of compassion in each of us, it has been my experience that it is difficult to radiate compassion for all until one has at least some awareness of the inter-connectedness of all.
Hi, as I have already explained to Miss Hepburn, I was actually - owing to a degree of exasperation - "contradicting" my own long held insight/opinion - which basically agrees with what you say. i.e. Any genuine compassion/empathy for others will be
a "by-product" of wisdom.

As far as "teachers" are concerned, I seek to learn from each and every moment. I'm not waiting for anyone "to appear when I'm ready". (Which you in effect say, so once again we agree)

Last edited by The Cobbler's Apprentice : 29-08-2021 at 07:51 PM.
Old 29-08-2021, 07:53 PM
Legrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobbler's Apprentice
As far as "teachers" are concerned, I seek to learn from each and every moment.

Just beautiful

A flower opening to the sun in the morning as so much to teach us. And they are so many flowers opening all the time.

Wish I could see them all in their unique details all at the same time.

But seeing one at the time, within my own limitations contents me.

Antoine
Old 29-08-2021, 09:00 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legrand

A flower opening to the sun in the morning as so much to teach us. And they are so many flowers opening all the time.

I think its important to understand that it is each and every moment. Not just flowers opening, but weeds growing.

As I understand it, Buddhism sees ignorance (seeing the world falsely) as being at the heart of suffering/dukkha. Therefore Buddhism can be seen as a path of supreme optimism, for it in effect says that if we see truly then dukkha will be transformed. As the Pure Land writer Taitetsu Unno has said, no human life or experience is to be wasted, abandoned, or forgotten, but all should be transformed into a source of vibrant life, deep wisdom, and compassionate living.

"Transform delusion into enlightenment".

The Pure Land way is to say "thank you" each moment, whatever that moment holds or brings. It is the poor persons way of bringing to be, without calculation, the Great Way of the Hsin Hsin Ming, that the way "is not difficult for those who have no preferences." Or again, "Make the smallest distinction, however, and heaven and earth are set infinitely apart."
Old 29-08-2021, 10:47 PM
Legrand

Quote:
I think its important to understand that it is each and every moment. Not just flowers opening, but weeds growing.
As you I see a flower just waiting for the sun to open in every weed growing, in every spark of dust.

Antoine
Old 30-08-2021, 02:03 AM
Master
QUOTE 11 EXCERPT:

Quote:
Any genuine compassion/empathy for others will be a "by-product" of wisdom.

As far as "teachers" are concerned, I seek to learn from each and every moment. I'm not waiting for anyone "to appear when I'm ready". (Which you in effect say, so once again we agree)

Yes. We are indeed in complete agreement on both points.
Old 30-08-2021, 06:22 AM
Deactivated Account
"A flower falls, even though we love it; and a weed grows, even though we do not love it"

Dogen
Old 30-08-2021, 06:29 AM
Deactivated Account
Looking up the exact words of Dogen I found this site....

http://https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/dogen_404949

Some fine quotes there for contemplation and reflection.

Old 30-08-2021, 09:33 AM
Deactivated Account
I was thinking (or is that "mentation"..... ) of opening a new thread on hakarai AKA "no-calculation". But there seems to be enough threads. With a woolly mind like mine most words tend to blend into each other, as the threads do. We murder to dissect, said William Blake, who spoke to angels, and once reported seeing his brother's spirit, upon that brother's death, leaving his body and ascending "clapping his hands with joy". Anyway, enough of Blake.

This thread was on the pre-eminence of Grace. Grace is a word that for me blends into many other words. Grace is the Reality in which I live and move and have my being. Most things follow, including the way of no-calculation.

Hakarai is a technical Shin Buddhist term. It can be looked up in the Glossary of Shin Buddhist terms on the Collected Works of Shinran site. (But as the zens say, better to see the face than to hear the name.)

Shinran, one "father" of Pure Land Buddhism, used hakarai as a synonym for self-power. It refers to all acts of intellect and will aimed at achieving liberation. "Specifically, it is the Shin practicer’s efforts to make themselves worthy of Amida’s compassion in their own eyes and of clinging to their judgments and designs, predicated on their own goodness, for attaining religious awakening.

Pure Land is often confused with Christianities "salvation by faith" but Pure Land arose from the fog of the non-dual East. For Pure Land, "salvation" is faith - or, looking up the glossary again, "shinjin".

No-calculation fits with all this. Plotting one's own "salvation" (or enlightenment) when such has already been given as pure gift seems to be a waste of precious time. Just say thank you and get on with it.

The "battle" between self-power (jiriki) and Other Power (tariki) is another problem you can look up in the Glossary, but really "calculation" is self power, and being devoid of calculation is Other Power.

(Note:- Other Power in no way refers to a power "up there" or outside of us. No theists allowed in.... )

As my master Saichi has it (to whom I am apprenticed)

O Saichi, will you tell us of Other Power?
Yes, but there is neither self power nor Other Power.
What is, is the Graceful Acceptance only

Often you find yourself calculating when on the hakarai path, but that is all part of the way. It can even be part of the fun.

"My eyes being hindered by blind passions,
I cannot perceive the light that grasps me;
Yet the great compassion, without tiring,
Illumines me always"

(Shinran, from "Hymns of the Pure Land Masters")

.....or, for my Christian friends, here is Mother Julian of Norwich:-

If there be anywhere on earth a lover of God who is always kept safe, I know nothing of it, for it was not shown to me. But this was shown: that in falling and rising again we are always kept in that same precious love.
Old 30-08-2021, 11:14 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
No theists allowed in....

I was tempted to write, " no theists aloud in" but decided against it..... not wanting my grammar corrected...

Those not familiar with Finnegans Wake (note the lack of an apostrophe) would probably not quite get what little joke there is.

Samuel Beckett, when asked what Finnegans Wake was sbout said that it wasn't about anything, but was the thing itself.

James Joyce wrote the book over a period of about 15 years. With his so poor eyes he scribbled late into each night. His long suffering wife Nora would hear him chuckling to himself and often chastised him in daylight hours, asking him why he could'nt just write something that others could simple read and understand. I think she had her eye on possible royalties. But not understanding has a fine pedigree, including my master Saichi, who once exclaimed:- "Not knowing why, not knowing why! That is the namu-amida-butsu! Not knowing why!"

Meister Eckhart had the same idea, with his "Love has no why". Once we think we understand, or even make the attempt to understand, we inevitably begin to "calculate".

Anyway, here are a couple of lines from Finnegans Wake for those who might like that sort of thing:-

"Let us leave theories there and return to here's hear"

...and...

"The Gracehoper was always jigging ajog, hoppy on akkant of his joyicity."
Old 30-08-2021, 11:56 AM
Master
Quote:

"The Gracehoper was always jigging ajog, hoppy on akkant of his joyicity."

Whack fol the dah now dance to yer
Partner around the flure yer trotters shake
Wasn't it the truth I told you?
Lots of fun at Finnegan's Wake