Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Science & Spirituality

Old 12-03-2022, 08:04 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatMan
I wonder, when we have an experience of the onesss of all things, how can the mind even have such an experience if according to the naturalistic view ( if I remember right the term ), consciousness is produced by the brain ( even though there no real proof as far as I know ) ?

Not all brain research points to the brain producing consciousness. There is also the problem (for instance) of those few people who can remember everything not losing their rememberances even though the body (all bodies) exchange cells for new ones every 7 years. Odd to think that memories could jump from atom to atom or cell to cell.

The Canadian scientist Penfold could show that the brain is crammed full of life's memories.

I'll join you ThatMan. I know what it's like to experience Oneness. It happened to me when I was twenty. I was fully awake at the time and moved into a scene of what I can only call universal fullness. Not being religious I cannot, with a good conscience, call it a mystical experience. There was no god present and nothing but unending horizons. I have never forgotten it and think about it almost every day. This understanding of oneness was also accompanied by another - the knowing of everything. I knew the answer to any question. It's all available to an awareness which somehow opens to a totally experienced universe. I wasn't 'shown' this condition or state - I lived it.
That was 63 years ago, in the meantime, at various intervals I have had other experiences stemming from (as I am convinced) that which we call consciousness. I have always been thankful for each moment - and each of them (a total of sixteen) has been impossible to explain in the light of day.

The constantly promoted belief (induced by religions) that we are born to be good and obey (in order to enter heaven) is a tragic error in the concept of the universe's plan and an insult to mankind's intellect.

'A clear conscience is the sure sign of a bad memory'
- Mark Twain.
Old 12-03-2022, 08:24 AM
Seeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjob
I'm all for a scientific approach in trying to actually prove the reality of what I understand and what I have no difficullty accepting.

All the sciences you've mentioned relate to this physical dimension but why do you think the sciences of this dimension apply in other immaterial ones, the dimensions folk often term 'spiritual'?

If those sciences don't apply, where does that leave scientific investigation here on earth of the immaterial - not of our earth or of this particular physical universe?

the sciences i mentioned:
"quantum physics, neuro-science, epigenetics, finding the "god" particle, etc., the origin of life, the beginning of consciousness, the origin of "you"
have mainly to do with energy, transmission of energy, information and transmission of information.
spirit is energy that contains information.
Old 12-03-2022, 08:21 PM
Master
Science is a great tool alternative worlds/ universes - time continuums - jumping, teleportation- all in reach of our nature I’ve experienced a few of the continuum my self but can’t control it yet…

Arabic first language (English)—- bear with me and please be patient)
Old 13-03-2022, 01:31 PM
Master

soul at the time of sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyman

Soul is just function of brain activity, and nothing else. Electric shutdown, then soul is gone.
At the time of sleep , brain is not doing anything and all power has gone at the time of sleep. Mind-body soul is still there and available next day. How do u reconcile inactive mind (shutdown mind) at the sleep yet still breathing without soul. Does mind have any control over the the time in seconds when it will go to sleep and time it will awake . To me , soul is beyond mind which can/may produce electric charge in mind.
Old 13-03-2022, 05:56 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITESH SHAH
At the time of sleep , brain is not doing anything and all power has gone at the time of sleep. Mind-body soul is still there and available next day. How do u reconcile inactive mind (shutdown mind) at the sleep yet still breathing without soul.
Yoga teaches that the Soul is connected to the physical body via the sutratma, and the sutratma has three threads:
  1. The creative thread which connects to the throat chakra.
  2. The consciousness thread which connects to the brain.
  3. The life thread which connects to the heart.
When the body sleeps the consciousness thread withdraws from the brain - hence the body becomes unconscious.

The life thread remains connected to the heart for the duration of the incarnation. Thus the body continues to function even while asleep.

Even during sleep the brain is surely not totally inactive - theta and delta brainwaves are still present.

Peace
Old 14-03-2022, 07:03 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITESH SHAH
My point is that soul is beyond brain - it's the source/power which energizes all activity including that of brain. While all of u said happens in sleep but none is under our direct control , so all that is done due to our association with soul (which is beyond brain circuits ) and if that soul goes out , our body becomes dead body which people do not keep even for a day.
Indeed, the Soul or Consciousness is beyond the brain. But the Soul gives both life and consciousness to the physical body. The withdrawal of consciousness does not mean the withdrawal of life. It is only when the life thread connection to the heart is broken that the physical body dies.

You say that none of what happens in sleep is under our direct control. Surely this applies to most physical functions even when we are awake. My various organs do whatever they do quite automatically, without needing me to intervene and control how they function. So it is with the body in sleep - there are automatic functions which occur without us being aware of them.

Peace
Old 16-03-2022, 05:48 PM
Master

Thumbs up life & consciousness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
the Soul gives both life and consciousness to the physical body. The withdrawal of consciousness does not mean the withdrawal of life. It is only when the life thread connection to the heart is broken that the physical body dies.

Yes subtly life and consciousness are different . And your clarification on the same very correct and apt herein this context of the point raised

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
Surely this applies to most physical functions even when we are awake. My various organs do whatever they do quite automatically, without needing me to intervene and control how they function.
Yes your clarification on this correct and very much apt here. Thanks for making it more clear .
Old 16-03-2022, 10:53 PM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyman
On the other hand I don't trust "science" much either. I mean, I can trust math,..but critical topics in other science may be taught incorrectly, and some science can be hidden.
The point is that genuine scientists know they haven't arrived at any definitive answers. They know they must keep searching. They also know that their hypothesis today is likely to be knocked over tomorrow.

Quote:
For example until I recently, I would think,
1. in ancient Egypt, kings used their slaves to build those pyramides as gorgeous tombs for themselves.
This is interesting on another tangent but it's rarely considered. There is no way that the Egyptians could have cut the stones for their pyramids and more so the granite blocks used to build their temples, with any of the tools found by archaeologists. They only had copper tools, maybe iron and that would never have cut granite.
Then there are those Egyptian flasks and bottle also made of granite - the ones with a thin neck and a bowl shape at the bottom. Aside from being cut (turned?) with an accuracy that raises eyebrows even today, how did they do those undercuts to get the inside of the bowl? How did they get the thickness of the neck consistently to 1 mm or so?
Even now with the most advanced tooling, the technique can't be reproduced in granite.

Where did they get the tools and technology from? Where did it go? Because the archaeologists have found no traces?
Old 18-03-2022, 12:57 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen
The point is that genuine scientists know they haven't arrived at any definitive answers. They know they must keep searching. They also know that their hypothesis today is likely to be knocked over tomorrow.
the problem with that is we never hear from genuine scientists on boards like these. Usually the proponent of science (for purposes of a place like this) is little different from a proponent of Faith, just different subject matter.

But it doesn't matter anyway, if you choose one at the expense of the other you've hosed yourself. You need a little of both to make the best brew...
Old 21-04-2022, 02:02 AM
jaminhealth

For me after I finally left catholism in my later 30's I searched and searched around for a church community and stayed with Unity for some time, and then Unitarian Universalist and finally found Science of Mind in the 1980's which finally felt like I arrived....then I had to let go of the god habit and found Julia Sweeney and she did it in her one woman play, Letting Go of God...... and that's is where I've stayed and I'm 83....and feel OK with it all.

Sleep good and lots of great dreams just about every night....some good supplements help me there including HGH homeopathic gel into my skin.