Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 02-09-2020, 05:10 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
Still Waters,

Thanks....:) Just a word of caution when we say 'question everything'. That is OK if everything actually means everything. Our questioning IMO generally exhibits a bias to the negative. We often question the very things we see or experience unless it can be demonstrated to be scientifically true. IMO this is limiting.....it becomes impossible to believe the miraculous unless we personally experience it. It becomes an impediment to believing 'that all things are possible'. Admittedly some things simply suggest taking a step of faith. Many things have been achieved by 'dreaming the impossible dream'.

I was struck by your honest words in a previous post: "I was a Phi Beta Kappa top student in college and getting past the "intellectual" was one of my most formidable obstacles." Perhaps getting past the intellectual is also getting by science ? We should not be restricted by what we know or what we think we know. Even as broad and comprehensive as it might be our POV is always limited to extents that we cannot realize or comprehend>

It isn't necessarily an ''obstacle''. One can have an interest in science and also do spiritual practice daily. When we sit down and calm our mind, and achieve non-thought we aren't having any 'intellect' getting in the way of things.

Just because people don't preach the standard beliefs that surround mysticism does not mean they cannot or do not achieve beyond-mind state of being or don't do any spiritual practice for years that have improved them. It would be rather arrogant and morally self-defeating to assume those labelled as ''intellectual'' or ''materialistic'' can't 'do' spirituality.

Some harp on about it all the time, obsessed with people they brand ''intellectuals''. I would argue that it would be more fruitful to have an open mind to alternative explanations to spirituality and spiritual phenomena. Yes, read those old texts, do the practice(s), but also have an interest in science.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:26 PM
Master
Quote:
Still Waters,

Thanks....:) Just a word of caution when we say 'question everything'. That is OK if everything actually means everything. Our questioning IMO generally exhibits a bias to the negative. We often question the very things we see or experience unless it can be demonstrated to be scientifically true. IMO this is limiting.....it becomes impossible to believe the miraculous unless we personally experience it. It becomes an impediment to believing 'that all things are possible'. Admittedly some things simply suggest taking a step of faith. Many things have been achieved by 'dreaming the impossible dream'.

I was struck by your honest words in a previous post: "I was a Phi Beta Kappa top student in college and getting past the "intellectual" was one of my most formidable obstacles." Perhaps getting past the intellectual is also getting by science ? We should not be restricted by what we know or what we think we know. Even as broad and comprehensive as it might be our POV is always limited to extents that we cannot realize or comprehend>

When I first questioned what my spiritual mentor was saying, it was indeed with a "bias to the negative", as you duly indicated. In time, as her words rang true despite my initial skepticism, the questioning took more of a "don't rule this out" flavor as the negative bias slowly but surely vanished. Eventually, instead of questioning, I started to check out ways to validate what was being said as the pieces to the puzzle of life gradually started to fall into place.

Good point though !
Old 02-09-2020, 05:31 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
It isn't necessarily an ''obstacle''. One can have an interest in science and also do spiritual practice daily. When we sit down and calm our mind, and achieve non-thought we aren't having any 'intellect' getting in the way of things.

Just because people don't preach the standard beliefs that surround mysticism does not mean they cannot or do not achieve beyond-mind state of being or don't do any spiritual practice for years that have improved them. It would be rather arrogant and morally self-defeating to assume those labelled as ''intellectual'' or ''materialistic'' can't 'do' spirituality.

Some harp on about it all the time, obsessed with people they brand ''intellectuals''. I would argue that it would be more fruitful to have an open mind to alternative explanations to spirituality and spiritual phenomena. Yes, read those old texts, do the practice(s), but also have an interest in science.

For me personally, the intellect was initially an obstacle. In any case, however, I still investigated science and psychology in addition to my meditations in order to make sure that my paradigm of the Reality was consistent with all (as best as possible).

I agree completely with you that it is "fruitful to have an open mind to alternative explanations to spirituality and spiritual phenomenon. Yes, read those old texts, do the practice(s), but also have an interest in science." YES! That is precisely what I do with the current emphasis being the practice(s) but not to the exclusion of all other research. One learns from all.
Old 03-09-2020, 12:55 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
When I first questioned what my spiritual mentor was saying, it was indeed with a "bias to the negative", as you duly indicated. In time, as her words rang true despite my initial skepticism, the questioning took more of a "don't rule this out" flavor as the negative bias slowly but surely vanished. Eventually, instead of questioning, I started to check out ways to validate what was being said as the pieces to the puzzle of life gradually started to fall into place.

Good point though !

Still Waters,

Yes to validate has also been a key for me. One selects a mentor suspecting that they have trod the path you aspire to. The selection is intuitive in nature. I have trusted those with patience and humility. They have allowed me to absorb at my pace. When you validate the truth of others it becomes your truth because each step of the path were small epiphanies.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:37 PM
Master
Quote:
Still Waters,

Yes to validate has also been a key for me. One selects a mentor suspecting that they have trod the path you aspire to. The selection is intuitive in nature. I have trusted those with patience and humility. They have allowed me to absorb at my pace. When you validate the truth of others it becomes your truth because each step of the path were small epiphanies.

Exactly ! Well-said !
Old 27-10-2020, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
I'm not a Baha'i and am wondering if anyone here is either a Baha'i or familiar with the Baha'i Faith. If so, please share your impressions.
Aw, I had a friend that was ---greatest person ever.
Moved away----good memories.
That's what I know.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru