Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 07:51 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Atheist, naturalist, agnostic or ultimist?

https://youtu.be/7R63uYEbhXI

Is atheism a belief system, a new 'faith' as it were, in the same way that atheists claim that theism is a belief system? Atheists reject this attack asserting that they are just using critical reasoning to expose irrational theism. What would make atheism is a new 'faith'? Does atheism, like theism, have its own assumptions and ways of thinking?
Old 04-03-2021, 09:18 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
It's beyond me how difficult it is for many to understand lack of belief in something isn't the same as believing in something. There's no such thing as a believer in the non-existence of something.

not really true. While it is true that lack of belief in something isn't the same as believing in the lack of something, that doesn't imply you can't still believe in the lack of something if you want.

So it becomes a question, how good are you at splitting hairs?

Personally I'd rather just quit using the words than trying to force fit myself to be in the realm of words I fancy myself in...
Old 05-03-2021, 03:13 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
Atheist, naturalist, agnostic or ultimist?

https://youtu.be/7R63uYEbhXI

Is atheism a belief system, a new 'faith' as it were, in the same way that atheists claim that theism is a belief system? Atheists reject this attack asserting that they are just using critical reasoning to expose irrational theism. What would make atheism is a new 'faith'? Does atheism, like theism, have its own assumptions and ways of thinking?
As the default, that is prior to the religious construct, but as the religious construct is brought into being, the counter position needs to be created. Basically, when you identify into a religion you become party to an 'us' which is defined and identified in contrast to 'them'. This applies to everyone who isn't identified with that religion including other religions and the irreligious.

After one identifies with the religion they unwitting force 'the other' into positions that provide the contrast said religion needs to orient its identity. Becoming religious therefore entails unwittingly imposing your will over the 'others' whom one needs to provide a self-defining contrast.

If someone identifies as an atheist, they have unwittingly succumb to the religious imposition that influenced them into the contrasting position, and thereafter, both the religious and the atheists partake in the same game of using each other as contrast for their respective identities. Then they are trapped in inter-reliance because without their contrasted 'other' they have no way of orienting their identity and knowing who they are.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:22 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
We will have to agree to disagree.

Atheists have their own set of beliefs - for example, the universe just happened and life on Earth is the result of random chance. The conviction that there is no Higher Intelligence behind the Universe is a belief, not a lack of belief. Rather it is a case of believing something different.

Peace
Most commonly an atheist would say they don't know how the universe came to be, but accept that it has happened. That is completely different to the religious view that 'God did it'. They can believe there is no God, but they usually hold that view in contrast to the God of religion - a defined and personal God. Hence, the the contrast we so obviously allude to is completely artificial, which really does imply the fallacy of religion.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:47 PM
Master
If one has an opinion either way about the existence of God then it's based upon a belief.

For some reason, having beliefs is like emitting a bad smell in spiritual circles.

Nuffin wrong with beliefs. You can't put one foot in front of the other without entertaining a belief that you will move forward for doing so lol .

Speaking about the topic of being an atheist even entertains the belief in knowing what it means ..

x daz x
Old 05-03-2021, 07:52 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
But...... an Atheist has a belief. Probably...... many beliefs. Because they do not believe in God/Gods/god/gods/Angels....... and on and on. That, in of itself, are beliefs.

Zackley ..

Not believing in Santa doesn't mean you don't have a belief in that Santa doesn't exist .

x daz x
Old 06-03-2021, 04:38 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
But...... an Atheist has a belief. Probably...... many beliefs. Because they do not believe in God/Gods/god/gods/Angels....... and on and on. That, in of itself, are beliefs.
No its not, they don't believe there is a god, because there is no proof, the same as I don't believe in big foot, because its never been proven, that is not a belief system, how hard is this ??.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:22 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
No its not, they don't believe there is a god, because there is no proof, the same as I don't believe in big foot, because its never been proven, that is not a belief system, how hard is this ??.

A belief is a + or a 1. Lack of belief is a 0. There is no “I am a believer in the nonexistence of the tooth fairy”. Atheists don’t believe in nonexistence of god(s), they just lack belief. And we are all atheists (to a degree) anyway. Atheists may believe in other things, but not in god(s).
Old 06-03-2021, 12:21 PM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by God-Like
If one has an opinion either way about the existence of God then it's based upon a belief.
Hi there Dazza

So what if I don't even have an opinion? As far as I'm concerned people use the word and have all kinds of beliefs that simply contradict themselves, but I'm devoid of belief or opinion as to the existence or non-existence of some supreme being.

Did God done it or did karma done it?
Old 06-03-2021, 01:28 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenslade
Did God done it or did karma done it?

We need neither to explain stuff.
Everything that occurs happens because of natural reasons, and there is a lot of randomness too, such as comets crashing into the earth. A huge one could come down next century, or 10 million years from now. It does not matter who or what lives here, or how well mannered and obedient to a religion we are, lol. The bubonic plague of the 1300s killed a third of god-fearing Europeans and much of the Asian population as well.

Even spiritually, there need not be God nor karma. You could grow up and become a person in the UK, or in North Korea, or perhaps as a housefly or a giraffe. Does it all really matter? All our fancy explanations that involve God, karma, morality, and so forth are man made and as there are numerous personalities there are numerous spiritualities. Some are just 'better' able to adapt to the times, which is why those beliefs (i.e. Christianity, karma religions) became the winners. Until of course, they cease to be relevant. Then we'll come up with a new religion again and our ideas about God change accordingly. First we thought God was Nature or natural forces, then God became more human like, and next up God became a specific 'state of being' only specific humans can achieve. Each to their own, I kinda like the old 'pagan' beliefs... God as a big Fireball in the Sky or a Big Storm!!