Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Aromatherapy

Old 06-05-2012, 06:08 AM
nama_adrift

aromatherapy for newbies

i dont know a lot about aromatherapy, but i like using essential oils in an oil warmer. i really like peppermint and eucalyptus, they are very cleansing/ clearing for me. however, i think i might be doing it wrong? when i first light the candle the scent is nice, but after awhile it fades or smells slightly off. i think it gets too hot? my warmer is ceramic and i use a tea light candle in the bottom.

also, when you mix your essential oil with a carrier oil, do you need to mix them or is it sufficient to just put a few drops in the carrier oil? what ratio (carrier oil to essential oil) should you use? is there a better way to use essential oils?

i was also wondering if anyone could recommend certain scents/ blends for heart opening/ healing? third eye? root? i really cant stand patchouli... it makes me nauseous.

lastly, was wondering if anyone had any tips on buying essential oils? what should you look for to know it is quality?

Old 07-05-2012, 10:18 PM
Master
Hi nama, im not a trained aromatherapist, however i have blended my own shampoo's oils etc for years and would like to do a aromatherapy course in the future.
A daft question but do you put water in your warmer first and then add a few drops of essential oils before burning?, if not then this is maybe why it is smelling slightly off.

for opening up the heart chakra i would use rose otto or absaloute but it can be very exspensive, i will get back to you on oils for roots and third eye.
I would reccomend you buy a aromatherapy book, i have a few and there are lots of blends and guidlines in them on how to blend etc. The aromatherapy bible is a good book to have aswel.
As for buying essential oils i would seek out a trained aromatherapist who will only use the best grades of essential oils, you could also try holland and barrett.
Im sure other's on here will be able to give you some advice.
I hope this helps.
Love GA ;) x
Old 07-05-2012, 10:24 PM
Master
Some books to have a look out for, they have these on amazon.
Aromatherapy bible: Gill farrer-hall.
Encyclopedia of essential oils: Julia lawless.
Aromatherapy: A guide for home use: Christina westwood.
The fragrant mind: Valerie ann worwood.
I hope these help.
Love GA ;) x
Old 10-05-2012, 04:47 PM
Candle Holders Today

Color Scented Oils

I am really just starting to become familiar with aromatherapy. I've always loved the smell of lavender, eucalyptus and now I have another favorite - Ocean Breeze which I use in candle oil warmers. The oils I use are considered fragrance oils but I believe for this type of use they are fine. Some of my favorite oil warmers can be found at candleholderstoday.com/ as well as some of my favorite fragrance oils.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:58 PM
nama_adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Angel
Some books to have a look out for, they have these on amazon.
Aromatherapy bible: Gill farrer-hall.
Encyclopedia of essential oils: Julia lawless.
Aromatherapy: A guide for home use: Christina westwood.
The fragrant mind: Valerie ann worwood.
I hope these help.
Love GA ;) x

oddly enough i have looked at all of these you have recommend except for the last one. i just never got around to actually buying any of them. i think i will.

i figured i would ask here instead of just looking in a book or online (which i have done a bit of actually) to see if anyone has any personal experience.... ya know? you can read about stuff all day but i am curious to see if anyone can make recommendations based on their own usage kind of thing.

thanks!
Old 11-05-2012, 05:01 PM
nama_adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Angel
Hi nama, im not a trained aromatherapist, however i have blended my own shampoo's oils etc for years and would like to do a aromatherapy course in the future.

A daft question but do you put water in your warmer first and then add a few drops of essential oils before burning?, if not then this is maybe why it is smelling slightly off.

Love GA ;) x

i thought i was just supposed to mix with a carrier oil? i will give it a try and see if it helps. thanks for the tip!

i have thought about trying to mix my own shampoos and such, but it seems like a bit of a hassle. how has it worked out for you?
Old 11-05-2012, 05:03 PM
nama_adrift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle Holders Today
I am really just starting to become familiar with aromatherapy. I've always loved the smell of lavender, eucalyptus and now I have another favorite - Ocean Breeze which I use in candle oil warmers. The oils I use are considered fragrance oils but I believe for this type of use they are fine. Some of my favorite oil warmers can be found at candleholderstoday.com/ as well as some of my favorite fragrance oils.

i love eucalyptus as well. i will give the site a look.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:06 PM
Master
Hi nama adrift. I tend to use water and essential oils for my burner and not with a carrier oil. I tend to add essential oils to carrier oils ie for massage or when using in the bath.
I have made plenty of shampoo's, face cream, hand creams etc and it is really easy and simple to blend and it is not very time consuming to blend them.
When i make shampoo's i tend to use a non scented shampoo base then add certain essential oils to the shampoo, shake well and leave to mature for around 24 hour's and shake well before use.
I hope this helps.
Love GA ;) x
Old 20-05-2012, 12:16 PM
Ascender
Thanks for the books recommandation,some are already on my list of book to buy :)

-This is either madness or brilliance !
- It's remarkable how often those two traits coincide ...
[Captain Jack Sparrow ]
Old 20-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Master
you are welcome vicky ;)
Love GA ;) x