Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 20-05-2021, 06:10 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
Having practiced Nada Yoga for years, I really appreciate your comments here.

The sound does indeed seem to be "beyond thought", as you duly indicated.

Thanks, Still_Waters. Always good to hear from those who do this practice.

And along the way I have tried various meditation practices, but none of them compare to listening to the Nada.

Peace
Old 20-05-2021, 06:17 PM
Master

critque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Just looking at it critically, it first comes across to me as 'internet ga-ga' (to steal a phrase from Queen).
I am amused at your description though it may be true also . I really haven't dug deeper into . Just from the face of it , I can say blogger/link owner has lot of educational/professional background . However that may not always mean merit for subject in the hand (understanding of meditation & yoga and that too from Patanjali perspective)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
The section titled how to meditate is typical of the contradiction which is common in meditation narratives. On one hand it says the mindfulness approach is best to start, but then it says do pranayama before, and thus recommends two approaches which are not compatible.
Mindfulness being ability to be in present without thoughts of past/future about anybody(including self) and to be able to dive deep in the moment to the fullest (and that too effortlessly naturally), link owner may be suggesting pranayama as a preparatory / catalyst activity to be skilled in it. In fact achieving mindfulness in every circumstances with any kind of people with any subject matter may be very difficult without meditation . So it may have been suggested as preparatory catalyst activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
The object part isn't specific and does not differentiate between experiences that 'just happen' and experiences that are volitionally fabricated. Then it gives a preference like focus on God, which I think will lend itself to the imagination rather than something 'real' in current experience.
To me, it's sub-par and falls in the realm of internet click bait that uses the name of a famous teacher for 'likes', as if Patanjali endorses their products for sale.
While you are entitled to your views , I would say when tries to focus on God, psychologically it derives some qualities of it . In the absence of God or in absence of any other object , it simply is very difficult and painful psychologically to veer your thought train in desirable directions . Many times we our though train becomes wayward directionless . Of course there are and there can be exceptions to this.
Old 20-05-2021, 06:17 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
iamthat, I don't recall us talking about this before. :)
It's fun that the Old Testament refers to It, also....like ---the rushing waters, etc.
We know that Kabir speaks of the unstruck strings....yup, many references to the Nam, Naam, Celestial Harmonies, Divine Music, Primordial vibration, the Tao.
Fun when you hear Krishna's flute, crickets, thunder, babbling brooks and whole orchestras, individual instruments, repeating melodies you can then transfer to an instrument later...
Quite wonderful! And It ''takes' you.
Fun subject... yes, more to the right. Not so faint for me.
Ha, next yr would be 50 yrs since I became aware of It.
Easier for us 'Right Brainers", too.

Yes, it is fun, Miss H. And it has been over 40 years for me.

But I am a "Left Brainer", which is probably why my first year of meditation on the Nada/Shabd/Sound Current was so difficult. Once I stopped trying to understand it I then began to appreciate it. Perhaps I am just a slow learner!

Peace
Old 20-05-2021, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
But I am a "Left Brainer", which is probably why my first year of meditation on the Nada/Shabd/Sound Current was so difficult.
Once I stopped trying to understand it I then began to appreciate it.
Being a Right Brainer, for those that don't get this ..when I read the bold,
I got a furrow between my eyes, cocked my head like my dog ---my thought, was, "You tried to understand it?"
THAT is a typical Right Brain attitude to that ...so funny how we're
all made so differently!!

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 20-05-2021, 10:09 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Being a Right Brainer, for those that don't get this ..when I read the bold,
I got a furrow between my eyes, cocked my head like my dog ---my thought, was, "You tried to understand it?"
THAT is a typical Right Brain attitude to that ...so funny how we're
all made so differently!!

https://youtu.be/6o7UDpn1mKI LOL!

I see it from both hemispheres. By the way and strictly speaking the whole right-left brain thingy is hugely exaggerated. But if we're going to talk about it metaphorically...

I understand the technique and purpose from a left brain perspective and my aim is to not bring that understanding into the depths of practice, to just go with the flow of it, and I do mean that literally as in flow state.

Here's an analogy. In order to hit high-level pitching one must understand enough about the technical aspects of pitching and batting to achieve success however one cannot dwell on that in the batter's box.
Old 21-05-2021, 12:12 AM
Thumbs up

Pitchers need to be Left brainers.
Artists more right brainers.

I want my surgeon and pilot to be BIG Left Brainers.
I love Left brainers!

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 21-05-2021, 12:21 AM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Pitchers need to be Left brainers.
Artists more right brainers.

I want my surgeon and pilot to be BIG Left Brainers.
I love Left brainers!

I'm a technical IT nerd and some of my best work is right brain. Don't get me wrong, my left brain technical and analytical skills are very strong but I also have an artistic flair for solutions. Then there's the intuition I get with real sticky problems. I find myself sometimes being drawn to look in places that defy a left brain, eliminate possibilities one by one, structured approach. It's uncanny how often my intuition is spot-on and leads me to a place no techie in their right mind would first look. Sometimes I even amaze myself. LOL!
Old 21-05-2021, 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
I'm a technical IT nerd and some of my best work is right brain. Don't get me wrong, my left brain technical and analytical skills are very strong but I also have an artistic flair for solutions. Then there's the intuition I get with real sticky problems. I find myself sometimes being drawn to look in places that defy a left brain, eliminate possibilities one by one, structured approach.
Are you single?

Old 21-05-2021, 01:55 AM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:
Are you single?

No, I'm non-dual. LOL!

Okay, serious answer. Yes, single.
Old 21-05-2021, 02:45 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
Perhaps what changes is how we experience the inner Sound as we go deeper into it. From my own experience, I first heard it as similar to distant rolling thunder during an initiation through shaktipat. This was in the right side of the head, and for the first year it was subtle. Indeed, part of me was a bit disappointed - I had expected more from meditation on the inner Sound.

As I learned to sit for longer periods the mind would become quieter and the Sound became louder. And on rare occasions I experienced the Sound as vibrations which filled the body to the point of overwhelming bliss. And I would see brilliant white light. Which is why I have to dismiss the idea that the Sound is just movements in the ear stimulating the auditory nerves.

Nowadays, forty years on, the Sound is still very loud and I still see brilliant Light within, every day. This is more than just dressing it up in spiritual robes.

Peace
Sounds like a good experience, but personally I prefer to play down experience because it comes and goes/ changes. Hence the 'so wonderful' experiences have no more significance to me than what my big toe feels like. Look at it this way, if I said what my toe feels like doesn't chance but the way I experience it does - that sounds stupid - but it's reasonable when referring to a special sound? That's just robes, and obviously we are dressing up mantra as a special thought and dressing the sound up as the voice of God.

If the mind has become entralled by the special compared to the indifference to what my toe feels like, it has kinda gone off the track, which would be, the vibration is the same as how my toe feels by virtue of its impermanence or changing quality.

During my training if a person went to the teacher and told him about their special experiences, the teacher would say, just be careful of your desires and maintain your equanimity. Hence I think the indifference to the mundane and the high significance of the special can indicate imbalances relating to certain cravings, and it is best to maintain a steady the neutrality - 'this is how it is' - regardless of what is being experienced.