Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 24-07-2021, 10:16 PM
Molearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by A human Being
This is a great point - it brings to mind a quote by Craig Holliday that I saw a while back: 'Many people get confused about speaking the truth; they think speaking the truth means saying whatever it is you're feeling egoically, and that's not speaking the truth, that's vomiting your ego on the world - that's being a slave to your ego, that's being a victim.'

A human being,

Someone else called attention to this and it caught my eye. It is great….thanks for posting. I immediately thought of the forbidden fruit of the “tree of the knowledge of good and evil”. That knowledge gives life to the ego, our sense of separation and acceptance of duality.

I linked this to scripture from 1 Corinthians 8:9-13…..a short version: “Be careful that the exercise of your freedom does not become a stumbling block to the weak….this weak brother is destroyed by your knowledge….” It is worthwhile to read this passage in its entirety. Specifically it is speaking about eating meat and idols. But if you look at it metaphorically you will arrive at a symbolic understanding. It is how certain knowledge if carelessly deseminated can be dangerous.
Old 24-07-2021, 10:28 PM
Master
You're welcome, Molearner :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
I linked this to scripture from 1 Corinthians 8:9-13…..It is worthwhile to read this passage in its entirety. Specifically it is speaking about eating meat and idols. But if you look at it metaphorically you will arrive at a symbolic understanding. It is how certain knowledge if carelessly deseminated can be dangerous.
Interesting, I'll give the full passage a look - thanks :)
Old 25-07-2021, 08:41 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by A human Being
'Many people get confused about speaking the truth; they think speaking the truth means saying whatever it is you're feeling egoically, and that's not speaking the truth, that's vomiting your ego on the world - that's being a slave to your ego, that's being a victim.'
I find these kinds of out-porings brilliant because if your Craig Holliday knew so much about the ego, he'd realise that what he's talking about here is not Spirituality but pseudo-psychoanalysis. And this is what's in HIS ego. Unless people have some knowledge of psychology the discussion of the ego is just more ego-vomit, and wearing the label doesn't qualify anyone.

So in all honesty, in the discussion of ego how many people are talking about something that they've made up themselves?

If the discussion is one of Spirituality and not psychology then the subject discussion should be about the Sanskrit Ahamkara, because that is the wisdom of the ancients. Ahamkara is known as the I-Maker or the "I of invented things." Aham means 'I' and a kara is an 'invented thing', something that is created from perceptual reality and has no place in Absolute Reality. Which is what the ego is.

Last edited by Greenslade : 25-07-2021 at 09:39 AM.
Old 25-07-2021, 06:34 PM
Nick96intent

I have to agree with Greenslade that ego is a psychological term that, at least according to my own path, little has to do with spirituality

FairyCrystal, I didn't dismiss your reply. As my time gets limited I didn't find a soulful way to comment and reply to you..

Thanks
Old 25-07-2021, 09:38 PM
Guide
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick96intent

I have to agree with Greenslade that ego is a psychological term that, at least according to my own path, little has to do with spirituality
When it comes to spirituality, I have found that many tend to 'pose'/assume a pious facade that can easily become transparent. It's one thing to gravitate to your higher self but, if you're not really there yet, there's often cracks that give tell-tale signs of the true situation. I place a high regard on honesty and being authentic so have a good radar for detecting when this is lacking.

An easy way to detect how spiritual someone truly is how often they refer to I/me/my. Dominance of such conversation reveals the focus still to be the ego. Being an empath also affords other (non verbal) ways of detecting the truth of the situation.
Old 26-07-2021, 02:05 AM
Nick96intent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliorate
When it comes to spirituality, I have found that many tend to 'pose'/assume a pious facade that can easily become transparent. It's one thing to gravitate to your higher self but, if you're not really there yet, there's often cracks that give tell-tale signs of the true situation. I place a high regard on honesty and being authentic so have a good radar for detecting when this is lacking.

An easy way to detect how spiritual someone truly is how often they refer to I/me/my. Dominance of such conversation reveals the focus still to be the ego. Being an empath also affords other (non verbal) ways of detecting the truth of the situation.

Agreeing.. ...Because in a way there is 'feeling' involved... Maybe the lack of it is what's killing me in the path I traverse , the path of my life as it has evolved and is still in progress. .......... (Personal, honest and difficult (one)).
Old 26-07-2021, 06:44 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick96intent
Spirituality is the "What? and psychology is the "How?" The ancients didn't have a word for psychology because they didn't see it as something different from their religion/philosophy as we in the West do, and I suspect that's as much about agenda as understanding. Jung's model of the ego is a Westernised Ahamkara, Chitta is Lower Mind and packed full of all kinds of psychology as is the Eightfold Path.

If you can't process psychology as being part-and-parcel with Spirituality then that's either a lack of understanding or cognitive dissonance. If you choose not to then it's destructive cognitive behaviour - Spiritually it's known as Right Thinking. Much of your Spirituality is decided by your unconscious, which is some 90-95% of your consciousness.

You are here because of your ego - everybody is, including me.
Old 26-07-2021, 06:57 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliorate
[color="Green"]When it comes to spirituality, I have found that many tend to 'pose'/assume a pious facade that can easily become transparent. It's one thing to gravitate to your higher self but, if you're not really there yet, there's often cracks that give tell-tale signs of the true situation. I place a high regard on honesty and being authentic so have a good radar for detecting when this is lacking.
If you're going down this road then Jung calls it the Persona, it's a mask that we create to relate to the external world. Playing the part in a job you hate is a Persona, and declaring yourself as a Spiritual Being is another one. Playing the part but dropping it when you're not in work is normal and we all do it, when the Persona becomes the self/reality then it's a whole different story.
Old 26-07-2021, 08:03 AM
Nick96intent

You are here because of your ego - everybody is, including me. - Greenslade.

I get what you mean.
Old 26-07-2021, 08:09 AM
Nick96intent

I suppose tho that you are here, because of your Spirit too...

Something has to connect you with -however you want to say it- what is above...

true?