Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Nature

Closed Thread

Old 18-05-2007, 07:30 AM
merlin

Angel1 Birds!

I'm a huge fan of birds.
I feel they're so underrated in our world. People are into their cats, dogs.....REAL pets.....yet they get a bird..shove it in a cage and park it somewhere to be forever ignored. Then you hear how dumb they are...they dont 'do' anything.
Have you ...You, who thinks they are dumb, boring, irrelevant..........held one, watched one....learned about him/ her. Studied him, cooed to him...helped him , calm him soothed him.
Have you really invested in a bird and came out the other end thinking they are worthless?
One for the birds...........................
Old 18-05-2007, 10:26 AM
cosmic

I've never had a bird but I would like to have one, and often take my 12mth old baby girl to the petshop to look at them (since she loves the ones she sees in the street so much).

I'll never forget teaching a life-coaching course a couple of years ago and one of the students (not the most outstanding by any stretch.. say no more... ) on the last day, got up to give her speech about what lifecoaching meant to her. She went on and on and on and on and on with irrelevant details as she normally did, not connecting with anyone (she never did), being all about herself as she always was. Anyway (judgemental cow aren't I?) her story was about a bird she bought for her grand-daughter against her daughter's (ie the mothers) wishes. That was enough to get my goat.

The story went on about this bird and how the grand-daughter loved it. Long story short.. the bird was left outside in his cage on a freezing night and was found dead the next morning. This she thought was an amusing anecdote.

I had to get up and leave the room I was so upset. Anyway - that's a longwinded way of saying I agree. Birds are under-rated. If a puppy or kitten was found dead the next morning there would have been shock and sadness, not the twitter of giggles I heard that day. I'll never forget it.
Old 18-05-2007, 11:25 AM
Moonflower

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
I'm a huge fan of birds.
I feel they're so underrated in our world. People are into their cats, dogs.....REAL pets.....yet they get a bird..shove it in a cage and park it somewhere to be forever ignored. Then you hear how dumb they are...they dont 'do' anything.
Have you ...You, who thinks they are dumb, boring, irrelevant..........held one, watched one....learned about him/ her. Studied him, cooed to him...helped him , calm him soothed him.
Have you really invested in a bird and came out the other end thinking they are worthless?
One for the birds...........................

Hi Merlin & Cosmic

Birds are beautiful creatures I feed my birds some eat grain, fruit, meat, insects that you can buy that are dried, peanuts, they are all wild free flying every day morning & night the best fed bids around lol.. They have a sand bath & a waterbath it is great to see them spalshing around in the water & rolling around in the sand.

I get Rooks, ravens, robins, chaffinch, blue ****, starlings, blackbirds, sparrows, doves & 3 big fat pidgeons. sadly Ialso get a goshawk who trys to get a bird or two for his lunch he sees it as his larder but if i see him shoo him away but he is fearless even of me ..

Love em all.

Moonflower x
Old 18-05-2007, 10:07 PM
merlin

Even that great big eagle I see a few times a year is so amazing. Once I saw a flock of birds dive into a hawthorn tree and go instantaneously quiet. Then I noticed a swamp harrier (hawk) about. I realised this is what they were running from...only he swooped and took off faster again...as an eagle was right above the both of us. It was literally above me.
I know there's lunch out there for birds of prey.....thats OK..Beats the farmers taking a shotgun to these birds any day.

Cosmic: yep....hysterical...****!! NOT!

Last edited by merlin : 19-05-2007 at 03:45 AM.
Old 22-05-2007, 09:46 AM
Richie

I just read a book, like 10 minutes ago.

It stated that birds are often used by our passed loved ones a signs to the living. For example: a bird may perch in a tree singing while a grieving person sits below, the person will almost certainly notice the bird and feel a slight peace.

A bird symbolises freedom ! (the ones not in cages that is) they sit high in the trees and look down on us, they observe us. They are lovely and wonderful. Much like angels.

Richie
Old 22-05-2007, 11:27 AM
Master
At the age of about 10-18 I used to be an avid 'Birdwatcher'. It used to bring me closer to nature which I love dearly. Watching Birds in the wild in their natural habitat is fascinating. There are so many different types and when you see a rare one you feel elated. Spent 2 months on an RSPB bird reserve in '84/'85? at Loch Insh in the River Spey Valley in Scotland; It was an amazing experience.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 22-05-2007, 09:58 PM
merlin

That they are Ricjie!!!
EXACTLY my point..though I didn't actually MAKE it!!
My husband heard a kookaburra say "everything will be alright" to him as it sat in the near in our yard. he was going through a hard time..(prolly with me!!pfffttt!!) and his eyes popped out of his head.
I have a butcher bird that has come here to my house over the last 8 years. She brings her offspring, they bring theirs.
She used to come (this is a WILD BIRD!! Remember this!) and bring me a lizard..sit on my arm and want something else in return to eat. Often it was mince we always had in the fridge! Bizarre!
My white budgie once by mistake came outside with me sitting on my white robe. I didn't notice him!!
The butcher bird was there..very excited with this new offering!! When I realised I screamed and 'Kevin' flew up in the rafters just above me. The BB was excited and fluttered in anticipation.
Not once did she charge him. I manage to get kevie and bring him inside..followed by a nervous breakdown!!

Honza: I think mostly we s****** at 'birdwatchers"...but your right: There's something in it isn't there!!
Old 23-05-2007, 01:38 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin

Honza: I think mostly we s****** at 'birdwatchers"...but your right: There's something in it isn't there!!

Yes, Birdwatchers do have a bit of a funny reputation. A bit like Trainspotters!! lol. Don't really know why, I guess most people just feel they can find something much better to do. Mind you if you get into birdwatching it can be really enjoyable; theres more to it than just spotting birds, its all about nature and the great outdoors. Like rambling etc. Its been a long time since I've been out with my binoculars and bird book!

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 23-05-2007, 09:07 PM
merlin

Ominous formiddable group those birdwatchers!

I love my bird reference books.....what a dag!!
Closed Thread