Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 30-07-2021, 09:32 PM
AbodhiSky

Kolita Sutta Metaphors

Last edited by AbodhiSky : 30-07-2021 at 11:28 PM.
Old 31-07-2021, 05:54 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobbler's Apprentice
Me, I'm normally silent.
(Note totally unsubtle attempt at one-upmanship)
Noted ......
Old 31-07-2021, 06:29 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbodhiSky
Kolita Sutta Metaphors
That Sutta relates to personal Noble Silence,sought in seclusion.. What is often called the Noble Silence of the Buddha is in another context....relationship with others, transmission of the dharma.......ooops, Dharma.

(Obviously the first can relate to the latter)
Old 04-08-2021, 02:15 AM
AbodhiSky

Quote:
That Sutta relates to personal Noble Silence,sought in seclusion.. What is often called the Noble Silence of the Buddha is in another context

Very insightful. I noticed in one context Buddha used to end philosophical discussions he felt would not lead to anything.
Old 04-08-2021, 01:36 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbodhiSky
Very insightful. I noticed in one context Buddha used to end philosophical discussions he felt would not lead to anything.

My understanding of the Buddha's Noble Silence seems to be consistent with yours. Buddha refused to encourage philosophical discussions on metaphysics that "he felt would not lead to anything". He would simply maintain the Noble Silence in that specific context and simply say that all he taught was a way out of suffering. He encouraged disciples to first do that ... and then see if they had any questions.

Buddha was very wise and didn't engage in theological/philosophical discussions. I call it "methodology without theology".
Old 05-08-2021, 06:47 AM
AbodhiSky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
Buddha was very wise and didn't engage in theological/philosophical discussions.

I can't think of one modern guru who does it either. They talk and people listen. There is no back and forth. A few take questions sometimes but even there, it's the guru who is fully in charge of what is answered and the questioners listen and are very respectful to the guru. They have no interest in debates. It's basically, here is my teaching and truth, if you don't like it go somewhere else. A lot of guru's on youtube have comments turned off. They have no interest in replies or feedback etc.

I can see where they are coming from. It's like carrying a rare jewel. It's not your job to convince others of it's worth. You show it and those who can see the value will and those who can't won't. There is no reason to give any attention or interest to those who see no value in what you show.
Old 05-08-2021, 08:54 AM
Deactivated Account
There is an incident recorded where the Buddha explains to a second person exactly why he had given no answer to sanother persons enquiry. Given the nature of the question ANY answer in the "yes" or "no" category would not have been conducive for progress in "living the holy life."

Many of us seem to want conclusive answers that "sort it out" once and for all. I think "masters" realise there are no such answers as such.

(Thinking about it, what questions we actually ask are often as important as any possible "answers")
Old 05-08-2021, 09:10 AM
AbodhiSky

Quote:
what questions we actually ask are often as important as any possible "answers"
so true. it's like the questions we sometimes get on these forums. so much can be seen, felt, known from the questions, the intent and goals and energy of the one asking the question for example. what is the purpose of the one asking the question? why was it asked? is an answer even what one is seeking? many times not at all.

if Buddha was here, would we ask him a question or just ask for a hug? ask to sit at his feet for a spell. just listen. bathe in his energy.