Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Judaism

Old 16-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Master
The beginning of it all

According to Judaism, how did creation begin? Is it the same story as in what Christians call the Old Testament? Did G-d create light and then Eden and then Man/Woman?

Did Man & Woman actually fall from grace according to Judaism? Is humanity considered to be 'fallen'? Do we need to restore our perfection and grace, as it is in Christianity?

I'm confused by the apparent discrepancy between Judaism and the Christian Old Testament. What are the differences?

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 16-04-2011, 09:24 PM
nightowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
According to Judaism, how did creation begin? Is it the same story as in what Christians call the Old Testament? Did G-d create light and then Eden and then Man/Woman?

Did Man & Woman actually fall from grace according to Judaism? Is humanity considered to be 'fallen'? Do we need to restore our perfection and grace, as it is in Christianity?

I'm confused by the apparent discrepancy between Judaism and the Christian Old Testament. What are the differences?

This is a great post I have been wondering the same thing for awhile now.
I think that as for the creation question it is pretty close to the OT, but interpretation is different. I think that much of the Christian interpretation of Judaic text are flawed.

I do think, but I am not for sure but the whole interpretation of Adam/Eve and the fall are not the same. I do know that Judaism does not believe in a hell and Satan is so different in Judaism as compared to Christianity.

The messiah in Judaism is a physical leader/king not a savior concept as portrayed in Christian doctrine. In Judaism man can reconnect with G-d by simply changing their lives in such a way as to follow the laws of Torah and participating in helping others. I am not Jewish so these comments are from what I have researched so I am sure there are more differences and I hope others will help clarify the differences because I too would like to know.

nightowl
Old 16-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Master
Thankyou nightowl. That was very helpful.

Old 18-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza

Working with a dead computer is no fun and so I am behind in my responses, public and private, for which I apologize. And now, with Pesach (Passover) about to begin, I won't have the opportunity to post for a bit.

Therefore, to be brief, and in response to your first question, the Old Testament and the Tanakh are the same, some books being ordered differently. For example, the Tanakh ends with Chronicles, the OT with Malachi.

Your other questions can't be answered with a simple yes or no and terms need to be defined. I will have to get back to you.

B'shalom,

Peter
Old 19-04-2011, 02:42 AM
Master
Thankyou Peter. I look forward to your reply.

Old 19-04-2011, 02:46 AM
Shim

Welcome back RabbiO!
Old 06-07-2011, 02:36 PM
avenger

Genesis 2, written by the Jahwist (J), is the oldest account of creation in the Jewish tradition. Genesis 1, written by the Priestly source (P), is a refined account.

Rashi's commentary on Bere**** (Genesis) should be of immense value to you.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:40 PM
Time

You have to remember Honza, the OT is a jewish book written OFR jewish people, not the whole wide world. It wasnt talking abotu humanity as a whole, just the jews, and romans, and a few odd other civs around at the time...

There is no worl wide paradigm in the bible, we only think there is
Old 11-07-2011, 01:13 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time
You have to remember Honza, the OT is a jewish book written OFR jewish people, not the whole wide world. It wasnt talking abotu humanity as a whole, just the jews, and romans, and a few odd other civs around at the time...

There is no worl wide paradigm in the bible, we only think there is

I find this very interesting. Might you elaborate?
Old 11-07-2011, 08:04 AM
Master
Me too. I'm pretty sure the Bible was written with a world wide paradigm in mind.

is that what all religions aspire to?