Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 07-12-2022, 06:53 AM
Master
I imagine it as an underlying vibe which is created by intents, so often I know of danger and can see things are going to blow a while before it really happens. Other people usually don't see it coming, and they don't even notice how they themselves are brewing up a storm. Even when it's in their heads and on the outside it doesn't show, it still gets into the air, and we probably shouldn't underestimate the unrealised power of our thoughts.

Since most of my training is according to Buddhist principles, we have ways of getting around this, because you'd think everyone at the ashram all good, but actually, there's quite a bit of contention, and since it's a pretty hard place to be and people are dealing with accelerated rates of purification, everyone's pretty sensitive, but we practice mindfulness and metta meditation every day which prevents things from getting wild-minded and of hand.

The contradiction we like the most is believing metta can be of immense benefit to everyone, but our negativity can't do any harm. That is a contradiction that makes no sense.
Old 07-12-2022, 07:15 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem

The contradiction we like the most is believing metta can be of immense benefit to everyone, but our negativity can't do any harm. That is a contradiction that makes no sense.

Who are the 'we' Gem ?
Most people know that 'negativity' does harm oneself and others....
Old 07-12-2022, 03:52 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
I found what was said and believed stood out. It is indeed a contradiction because negativity creates. We create We create to create.

However, no creation happens if not allowed and does no harm if the thought is (made) transitory, meaning not acted upon through being mindful. Being mindful is not denial. But the main problem I see as the problem is not suffering per say, but this....we allow it plain and simple. This is the real problem. The mind is the solution and problem at the same time. We allow it for various reasons. Reasons (attachments) also a problem. This is such a strange phenomena. Very few have mentioned intention, ie true intention.

I thought post 28 mentions a good example of harm given. This mean we give. Think about the I gives. It also shows imo proof which does not seem at all to agree with the above but is difference of if transitory or not. Make it transitory, be mindful of thought. Just because a person knows that it is negative does not mean it will not be done.

People affect people.
Old 07-12-2022, 05:17 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redchic12
I was talking more about the GENERAL thoughts we have about people eg I cant stand this person, I wish he would shut up and I wish this person would leave us. stuff like that.
Indeed, many of our thoughts are just random and reactive and passing. And much of such thinking is ineffectual because most of us lack the power and focus to do any real harm.

But even so, the kinds of thoughts you mention (eg I cant stand this person, I wish he would shut up and I wish this person would leave us,) still have energy. And maybe they reflect something about ourselves. And if they become a habitual pattern we repeat often enough then they might manifest in some unexpected way.

Peace
Old 07-12-2022, 05:38 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
... because you'd think everyone at the ashram all good, but actually, there's quite a bit of contention, and since it's a pretty hard place to be and people are dealing with accelerated rates of purification, everyone's pretty sensitive, but we practice mindfulness and metta meditation every day which prevents things from getting wild-minded and of hand.
Yes, a shared spiritual environment has its own pressures which push everything within us to the surface to be examined and released. Having been through it myself I can recognise that it was a necessary process but not one which I would want to repeat.

Peace
Old 07-12-2022, 05:54 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem

Gem,

I had to copy something of your post to reply directly to you…. I could not copy your tag line of “transcend entirely” which is what really catches my attention. Perhaps you will explain what that means to you.

For me it means to transcend the ego. Now I view the that the essential function of the ego is that it serves as our survival mechanism. To speak of survival implies that we harbor fear….fear that our existence is threatened. This dictates that at some point we must become competitive with others to survive. It would seem that that a mark of ‘transcending entirely’ is to know(not just believe) that ‘all is well’. In Christian terminology this is called faith. Meaning faith in the Divine…faith in the eternal life….knowing, indeed, that faith can ‘move mountains’. With this faith what is there to fear ?

“Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the earth”. This is easily misunderstood…..people can read ‘meek’ as meaning weak. The reverse is true…the meek are the humble. And to be humble denotes recognition of the divine….the recognition that one can declare that all is well. One can say that when they realize that ultimately there is nothing to fear or to be angry about. The one that lives without fear or anger is actually the strongest of souls. To ‘inherit the earth’ means that they are deemed as the best custodians of any inheritance. They are the best to protect a legacy.

If one thinks about it they should realize that fear and anger cannot be a trait of a true guru or enlightened soul. Those negative traits have been transcended and are no longer a component of their DNA.
Old 08-12-2022, 11:15 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
“transcend entirely”means to you. transcend the ego.
The one that lives without fear or anger is actually the strongest of souls. To ‘inherit the earth’ means they are the best to protect a legacy.

Yes.Transcend ego. I'm not sure that all is well, but there can be a realisation that you are... indestructible. I think that is a healthy faith to have and I have to encourage it, but there can be understanding or irrevocable knowing which is without doubt.

Complexes like fear, anger, doubt and so forth are a bit too much to unpack, but it has to something to do with reactive tendencies, and this subject should be addressed along with real-life practice so that one can see within themselves in addition to having theoretical knowledge.

I don't try to meek or humble, but I like those qualities because I think they represent a genuine deep sense of confidence. I mostly try to be truthful. I think truthfulness is the pinnacle of virtue.
Old 08-12-2022, 11:25 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
Yes, a shared spiritual environment has its own pressures which push everything within us to the surface to be examined and released. Having been through it myself I can recognise that it was a necessary process but not one which I would want to repeat.Peace
Yes, it can get rough when the means and the function by which you remain distracted are removed, but it is inevitable the inner contents will surface and be emptied out one way or the other sooner or later, but it still requires the 'right conditions'. Hence, in our tradition we have the 'refuge' which sets up the protection, safety and the trust that enables the purification to proceed as smoothly as possible, but it's a delicate process that can get messy if it's not 'handled with care' so to speak.
Old 08-12-2022, 12:13 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemex
People affect people.
In my training in metta meditation, it requires a mind that won't slip into mal-intent. The meditation is not like the prayer I was taught in Christianity, like 'God Bless the people' etc. because metta doesn't involve a mediator God. It involves your own intent.

However, there are times when we become a bit overwhelmed with the stress and it is beyond our ability to bring our agitations to cessation, in which case, we can't practice metta effectively. In prayers, you just make words and God takes care of the rest, but in metta, well let's just say it's easier said than done - and it shouldn't be done if you find your agitations are getting the better of you. In that case, reverting to simple breath awareness is best as that lets the agro pass without empowering the intentional emanation of bad vibes. On the other hand, if the mind is calm, then the radiance should be felt for reals rising in the heart, and radiated intentionally with the underlying wish that all living things be happy.

In our ashram community, it's common that a person will have ill-feelings toward someone else during the day, become irritated with them, jealous about something, be offended or have their feelings hurt by them in some way, and the metta meditation can effectively heal such hard feelings through letting it go, having forgiveness with the understanding that one's own reactivity has caused some suffering in themselves this day. In that case a more directed intent with the sincere wish 'may he/she be happy' is very effective at resolving hard feelings, and if this practiced daily by everyone mutually, it's a very powerful thing.

The metta is also like a healing substance where the mindfulness practice opens a wound to get the impurities out, and metta is the way in which the love the universe flows through the lifeform. It is 'love itself' so to speak. When a group of adepts who are undergoing accelerated purification get together, we know what the others are going through and how they generate suffering in the exact same way as we do, and this understanding gives rise to tremendous feelings of understanding and compassion.

So it all comes back to the purification, because taking out the impurity, releasing the blocks, clearing the obstacles and so forth opens up the channel through which universal love flows, and that is the unending outpouring of metta.