Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Nature

Old 21-03-2011, 01:45 AM
nightowl

Lightbulb Lightning Bugs

I am not a bug person but I think the most absolutely coolest bug ever is the lightning bug. Anyone have any folklore or stories they want to share about these little power plants of nature?

nightowl
Old 21-03-2011, 01:51 AM
Master
Only that they're just the coolest, like you said, when I was a little girl, when we lived on 10 acres, when they'd come out at night it was so magical. Unfortunately,I had a girlfriend who would catch them and squish the glowy abdomens and paint her fingernails with them. Eww.

Old 21-03-2011, 02:01 AM
nightowl

that is just sooooo wrong in sooooooo many ways...ewww factor off the charts!
Old 21-03-2011, 02:16 AM
tmf

Did you know lightning bugs each have 1 perfect mate? Their flashing lights are to attract there one and only mate. Talk about twin flames! There light are as unique as finger prints.
Old 21-03-2011, 02:23 AM
nightowl

now that is really neat! tmf, so are there lightning butts like in sync with one another, is that how they know who is their mate?
Old 21-03-2011, 02:47 AM
tmf

Yes somewhat in sync but different like pieces of a puzzle. Cool but also sad to never find your mate if your piece of the puzzle is missing.
Old 21-03-2011, 04:06 AM
luvblooms

Oooh, they are so cute! I used to catch them and put 'em in a jar. It has been SO many years since I've seen one.

It never, ever crossed my mind to squish them so I could glow. :(
Old 21-03-2011, 04:12 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvblooms
Oooh, they are so cute! I used to catch them and put 'em in a jar. It has been SO many years since I've seen one.

It never, ever crossed my mind to squish them so I could glow. :(

Yes, that blew my mind and grossed me out!

Old 21-03-2011, 04:13 AM
nightowl

I live out in the sticks and on a summer night (no street lights) I can sit on my front porch and the field across the street is afire with lighting bugs. It is like stars in the sky only you can touch um if you want.
Old 21-03-2011, 04:15 AM
tragblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl
Anyone have any folklore or stories they want to share about these little power plants of nature?

Ever seen "Grave of the Fireflies"?

Seen them once, when I visited Washington D.C.

Didn't know they only had one mate...