Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 10-01-2023, 02:49 AM
Molearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn

One thing the resurrection does is provide hope and is something I suspect many look forward to.

BigJohn,

Theoretically many probably look forward to it……but logically and realistically they cannot visualize it in the foreseeable future. If you took a vote I suspect more people would prefer to reach the state of enlightenment…….
Old 10-01-2023, 03:27 AM
Master
What I found on the subject holds my interest:

When I do a google search for "enlightenment for Christians", the first thing that comes back is "In Christianity, the word "enlightenment" is rarely used, except to refer to the Age of Enlightenment and its influence on Christianity."

Conversely, the first thing that comes back for "resurrection for Christians" is "Jesus' resurrection is a central belief within Christianity."

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 10-01-2023, 07:32 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
If you took a vote I suspect more people would prefer to reach the state of enlightenment…….

As did Jesus who imo was an 'Enlightened being' (Bodhisattva) who out of compassion, forgoes Nirvana in order to save others.
Old 10-01-2023, 08:07 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
"In Christianity, the word "enlightenment" is rarely used, except to refer to the Age of Enlightenment and its influence on Christianity."

I think there's a big reason for that. Christianity emphasizes putting others before yourself. Seeking enlightenment seems like a selfish self centered activity so it doesn't mesh well with Christian teachings for most I would say. Helping and serving others, surrendering fully to God, being giving, loving to all others. To seek nothing for oneself. Help the poor and downtrodden.

I saw a cartoon book once from one Christian group illustrating their beliefs and they believed everyone (well the ones who are saved) in a grave rise up out of it in their bodies on reresection day or when Christ comes in the end times. I can't remember what group it was.
Old 10-01-2023, 08:12 AM
Master

.....what "is" ...
.....what "was"...
.....what "will be".....

All irrelevant to each individual's perspective...

All will become apparent in time ....
Old 10-01-2023, 08:17 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
If you took a vote I suspect more people would prefer to reach the state of enlightenment…….

No one takes anything from this physical life at death, not even one hair or one penny, so seems like what we will be is so different from what we are now. Most cannot even live without their cell phones now. Sure be a different world when we pass. Maybe enlightenment is just what happens when we leave this body and plane of existence. "Everyday experience and what we are in heaven" in other words.

If enlightenment exists, I think it's not up to me if I get it or not. It's up to God. The grace of God. For God to light the way and let me see the path back to God. To let go and let God. God's will, not my own.
Old 10-01-2023, 09:37 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maisy
Seeking enlightenment seems like a selfish self centered activity so it doesn't mesh well with Christian teachings for most I would say.

Enlightenment is a state of 'awakened' understanding which enables one to be free from the tyranny of the mind and therefore experience deep spiritual peace, presence and wholeness. 'I and my Father are one' is a statement from a Enlightened/Awakened mind, imo.... One shouldn't actually 'Seek' enlightenment but 'Awaken' to that which is already there (Our true nature).Jesus obviously felt no gap between observer and that which is observed.
Old 10-01-2023, 09:40 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBlue
.....what "is" ...
.....what "was"...
.....what "will be".....

All irrelevant to each individual's perspective...

All will become apparent in time ....

What.... wise words
Old 10-01-2023, 10:13 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky
What.... wise words
Hi Sky.... ( What's up ?.... ( We got to pretend to be gangsta rappers !!)...... )

"What " is relevant , but not as relevant as "is " ...
Old 10-01-2023, 05:19 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky
Enlightenment is a state of 'awakened' understanding which enables one to be free from the tyranny of the mind and therefore experience deep spiritual peace, presence and wholeness.

Regarding the theme of this thread: in my opinion, enlightenment in Christianity is muchly expressed in the Gospels as the name implies with the Resurrection being one of the key cornerstones.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.