Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 26-07-2021, 03:30 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Was Yaśodharā's husband also a folk story?

If you are asking me, I would say it is because I am not a devotee of the Buddhist faith. I am an American who relies on academic research of Buddhist scripture. The central myth of Buddhism is the life of the Buddha.

Just because it is a folk story doesn't invalidate the practice of Buddhist doctrines. Similarly, the Jesus story is a delivery device for transmitting the meaning of life and the nature of reality to Christians.
Old 28-07-2021, 09:46 AM
Deactivated Account
Angry

I developed a habit on another forum of posting "Memo's from the Pure Land", often a bit tongue in cheek. Some, not quite catching my sense of humour would possible think "who does he think he is, speaking from the Pure Land." They just didn't know the Pure Land as I do, full of foolish beings ( bombu's in Shin Buddhist parlance) whose reliance upon Other Power (tariki) is almost legendary.

Well, here's a memo, wherever its from. Not really off-topic as we have spoken of the coming of the Dharma to the West on this thread. I write my memo's in Costa's where I enjoy a large cappuccino (extra hot, to make it last, being a skinflint at heart) this after a walk into town taking in the sights (empty cans and crisp packets strewn across the pavements etc etc) While appreciating the ardent advice of some that "when walking just walk" I tend to muse and on arrival at Costa's have a few random thoughts to expound upon, for better or for worse. I find sitting in Costa's genuinely therapeutic and now that the wearing of masks is no longer mandatory I enjoy seeing the lovely Costa girls drinking in my fine chiselled features (I've always seen the winks of course)

Anyway, today, I was musing on the coming of the Dharma to the West. In the past it was often one form that arrived anywhere, but now in the West, with mass communication and the internet, its all coming at once. Personally I have always been glad that I had the peg of Theravada first in my meeting of the Buddha's teaching. Virtually "fundamentalist" teachings as in Rahula Walpola's fine book, "What the Buddha Taught", the Dhammapada, and various other Theravada teachers such as Nyanaponika Thera (aka Sigmund Feniger...... They're all at it...... ) and Bhikkhu Nanamoli (Osbert Moore......where will it ever end?)

I would'nt seek to dictate how anyone should approach the Dharma but as I say, personally I'm glad I had that Theravada grounding before being exposed to the Mahayana, zen etc......lets not mention the more obscure forms of tantric Buddhism.

I've been getting back to some Theravada works recently, re-reading Nanamoli's fine "Life of the Buddha" which is based solely upon the early Pali texts. It is excellent and if you take your zen or whatever with you, you can see the seeds of future Mahayana developments (what can you call them?) in the words.

"Unenlightened Bodhisattva" for instance, in describing the Buddha prior to enlightenment. How suggestive! Easy to look at Bodhisattva's and think of them as being above and beyond. But "unenlightened"? It give's hope to us all. No need to wait before seeking the salvation of all! Just get on with it.

I love the Mahayana teaching of expedient means (Upaya), expounded well in the Parable of The Dharma Rain found in the Lotus Sutra.....

I bring fullness and satisfaction to the world,
like rain that spreads its moisture everywhere.
Eminent and lowly, superior and inferior,
observers of precepts, violators of precepts,
those fully endowed with proper demeanor,
those not fully endowed,
those of correct views, of erroneous views,
of keen capacity, of dull capacity -
I cause the Dharma rain to rain on all equally,
never lax or neglectful.
When all the various living beings
hear my Law,
they receive it according to their power,
dwelling in their different environments.....

..The Law of the Buddhas
is constantly of a single flavour,
causing the many worlds
to attain full satisfaction everywhere;
by practicing gradually and stage by stage,
all beings can gain the fruits of the way.

(The Lotus Sutra, Parable of the Dharma Rain)

Hopefully the quote will be allowed. The words are echoed in other sutra's such as the Vimalakirti Sutra and the Hua-Yen Sutra. Obviously upaya can be expressed variously.

As I read recently, Dharma practice is grounded in reality itself. Help can be found anywhere, often from surprising places and in surprising ways. Best not to anticipate just where illumination can be found.

Whatever, my drink is finished. Shopping to get.
Old 29-07-2021, 11:30 AM
Deactivated Account
Another Memo from the Pure Land is coming. Those of a nervous disposition should look away now. I'll try not to be too ernest, not really wishing to gain anyone's appreciation.

Back in Costa's (and the barista definitely gave me the eye, not my imagination I assure you. The problem was, it was a guy)

I have two ways into town, the road way and the scenic route, overland. However, the scenic route can get a little bit boggy at times at the first drop of rain so often I must come along the road, under a subway (the graffiti is rather fine, I just wish the artists could learn to spell)

When walking just walk........but again I was musing. Today on the quote I have given now quite a few times, from Meister Eckhart:- "Love has no why". I think it speaks of not-self. Giving a "why" to love must necessarily invoke a self that calculates. Worse, some sense, however light, of moral achievement. At least, that is how I know it. The Pure Land path is one of "no-calculation" (Japanese hakarai)

As I see it, "why" also suggests a purpose beyond the moment. The bringing to be of something. This brings to mind the dialogue between Suzuki and Merton, "Wisdom in Emptiness" and a parting of the ways in their own search for "answers". Merton finally breaks away from "suchness" and speaks of some future transfiguration of the cosmos, some idea, grounded in "faith" of a "new creation". Merton acknowledges that we are here back in the realm of concept and image. Yes, indeed we are. Suchness has been left behind for what I would say the Buddha would have called a "view", which of necessity throws us out of the Middle Way (as I understand it)

Dogen speaks of casting off body and mind, which if understood correctly points to concrete human existence fashioned in the mode of radical freedom — purposeless, goalless, objectless, and meaningless. This is in no way nihilism, but as a commentator on Dogen has suggested, "we must live co-eternally with ultimate meaninglessness", which allows the fullest expression of love.

"Love has no why".
Old 07-08-2021, 04:02 AM
AbodhiSky

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobbler's Apprentice
As I see it, "why" also suggests a purpose beyond the moment.

"Love has no why".

There is no beyond this moment. Both the past and future are only pondered now. What is the purpose of this moment besides to dwell in the divine? To let the divine love and peace flow within and without.
Old 07-08-2021, 06:29 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbodhiSky
There is no beyond this moment.

Yes, which is why love has no why. No "purpose" beyond itself.

As a commentator on Dogen's thought has said:- Radical meaninglessness.

Old 07-08-2021, 08:19 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbodhiSky
There is no beyond this moment. Both the past and future are only pondered now. What is the purpose of this moment besides to dwell in the divine? To let the divine love and peace flow within and without.
In Buddhism 'to dwell in this moment' does not refer to dwelling in the divine but to just 'Be' , moment to moment.
When drinking, just drink...
Old 07-08-2021, 12:17 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
In Buddhism 'to dwell in this moment' does not refer to dwelling in the divine but to just 'Be' , moment to moment.
When drinking, just drink...

Yep! Things keep moving rather than just basking in job done!

Old 07-08-2021, 02:21 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobbler's Apprentice
Yep! Things keep moving rather than just basking in job done!

Well a Womans work is never done so they don't have much choice
Old 08-08-2021, 10:27 AM
Eelco

The just Be might be a clue though.
What does just being entail? On the one hand I gues basking in the experience of the present moment. drinking, thinking writing etc. I wonder if gaining insight in the present circumstances may have something to do with it. The past is indeed gone, but accumulated Karma of past action Combined with your current actions are birthing the present moment. The future as yet unfolded gives us a chance to take present action moment to relieve future suffering. Now I am not suggesting fretting about what to do now in order to "escape" future suffering, but gaining insight into what parts of the noble eightfold path are applicable now.

Just being and suffering life is different than just being and taking right action yes?

For a more elaborate view on this I just came across the following dhamma talk by Thanissaro Bikkhu called " the present moment is not the goal"

With Love
Eelco

Last edited by Eelco : 08-08-2021 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:51 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelco
What does just being entail? [/url]

With Love
Eelco

The key is pure acceptance...... "Whether heading for the Pure Land or heading for hell, all is in Amida's hands."

This can appear passive, yet "acceptance" can be the catalyst for genuine transformation.

I experience no "basking" in anything.