Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Poetry

Old 27-04-2019, 06:26 AM
Master
So I just had a look at the haiku wikipage, I thought I remembered that haiku wasn't this easy, and lo and behold there were more 'rules'. Not sure I will adhere to them, but maybe someone else is interested.

Short version:
Haiku is a very short form of Japanese poetry in three phrases, typically characterized by three qualities:

1. The essence of haiku is "cutting" (kiru).
This is often represented by the juxtaposition of two images or ideas and a kireji ("cutting word") between them, a kind of verbal punctuation mark which signals the moment of separation and colours the manner in which the juxtaposed elements are related.

2. Traditional haiku often consist of 17 on (also known as morae though often loosely translated as "syllables"), in three phrases of 5, 7, and 5 on, respectively.[3]

3. A kigo (seasonal reference), usually drawn from a saijiki, an extensive but defined list of such terms.

Long version:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku

Guess I'm gonna read some examples and try again... :)

And we turn our attention to the world, not away. We receive our learning from the songs it sings and the choir of One we're all in.

And while we walk gently, we generate love, healing, the most powerful energy of all, Life!

Soaking in life, we spread the light <3
Old 27-04-2019, 06:37 AM
Master

Know if You let go
Is to help me learn balance
In playful dalliance

Old 27-04-2019, 06:40 AM
Master
Trying to rewrite a short poem I just posted:

Floating now
Hands in cherry blossom trees
Ground never leaves me.

(Oh now I got confused by the japanes way of counting 'word sounds' rather than syllables... Fe-lo-ting Ne-ow... - and counted that way ONLY in the first line, hahah oh fun and random, sorry)

And we turn our attention to the world, not away. We receive our learning from the songs it sings and the choir of One we're all in.

And while we walk gently, we generate love, healing, the most powerful energy of all, Life!

Old 27-04-2019, 09:35 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realm Ki

Floating now
Ground never leaves me.

(Oh now I got confused by the japanes way of counting 'word sounds' rather than syllables... Fe-lo-ting Ne-ow... - and counted that way ONLY in the first line, hahah oh fun and random, sorry)

5-7-5

Keep Haiku simple
Freezing turbid thought spindle
Our light rekindle

Old 27-04-2019, 06:10 PM
Ascender
Quote:

Floating now
Ground never leaves me.

Japanese Haiku counts `on' sound, which is somewhat equivalent to syllables in English.
They use 5-7-5 rules with 'on' sound.
Nonetheless, we are talking about two extremely different languages.

Btw, I know nothing about Japanese except how to say Thank you.
But I trust Google search.
Old 27-04-2019, 09:26 PM
Master
I trust google too, and I don't mean to say it should be something else than syllables. For myself though, i'm already playing with 'a japanese way of expressing words' so it is close at hand for me to carry the playfulness into the poems of course.... For the experience of it.

What I like about that, my 'japponification' of syllable count is that the lines get shorter. The japanese haikus I found as examples are quite a bit shorter than ours. Just another way to play, nothing serious at all. I'll keep it in my own thread to avoid confusion <3

But the other things were interesting, no? The point about a seasonal word, and about two words, often concrete and everyday, bound together with a 'cutting mark', which was tricky to even grasp what that was...

- - -
Drops of snow rising
Pushing frost leaves now aside
Freezing toes sneezing

Old 28-04-2019, 05:36 AM
Master

Pure loving intent
Placed in the divine current
Miracle moment

Old 28-04-2019, 02:44 PM
Ascender
Quote:
I trust google too, and I don't mean to say it should be something else than syllables. For myself though, i'm already playing with 'a japanese way of expressing words' so it is close at hand for me to carry the playfulness into the poems of course.... For the experience of it.

What I like about that, my 'japponification' of syllable count is that the lines get shorter. The japanese haikus I found as examples are quite a bit shorter than ours. Just another way to play, nothing serious at all. I'll keep it in my own thread to avoid confusion <3

But the other things were interesting, no? The point about a seasonal word, and about two words, often concrete and everyday, bound together with a 'cutting mark', which was tricky to even grasp what that was...

- - -
Drops of snow rising
Pushing frost leaves now aside
Freezing toes sneezing

I guess that the reason why actual Japanese Haiku is shorter is one word can mean a whole sentence in English. Same with Chinese.

I have to Google about seasonal word, two words, etc.. My Google did not mention anything about that.
Old 29-04-2019, 04:40 AM
Master

Enchanting perfume
Imbibe but cannot consume
Divinity blooms

Old 30-04-2019, 02:03 AM
Master
Little fish swimming
The lake so cool and so deep
A boat approaching