Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 01-09-2021, 07:04 AM
Newbie ;)

What is the difference between your spirit and your soul?

People say these words are used interchangeably but I think they both have different meanings to a person spiritually and as a whole person. Can you tell me the difference between a person's spirit and their soul? please give definitions!!
Old 01-09-2021, 11:19 AM
The Anointed

The scriptures equate the ‘MIND’ with the ‘SPIRIT’, in one place it is said, “You must love God with all your heart, with all your mind, and with all your soul:” In another place it is said, “You must love God with all your body, with all your spirit and with all your soul.” The invisible mind that develops within that body of yours, is the evolving spirit that is 'YOU'.

Your body in which you the mind develops is created from the universal elements and must return to those elements. The soul is the divine animating principle which pervades the entire universe activating all within and must return to God who gave it. The mind that is you, grows or evolves from the information that is gathered into the brain through the senses of that body, and you the invisible mind or spirit, are all that matters, for flesh and blood do not inherit the Kingdom of God. 'YOU" the mind are the potential child of God.

The body in which you, [The mind] are developing as the supreme head and controller of that body, is made up of the universal elements, which is activated by the soul, [Animating life force] to which all the spirit [gathered information] of all your ancestors, human and pre-human has been gathered in its evolution to become ‘WHO YOU ARE’, and that gathering of parental spirits, dwells behind the veil of the flesh to the inner most sanctuary of its temporary earthly tabernacle or tent, which is your physical body, as it awaits the creation of its glorious temple of incorruptible Light. [THE SON OF MAN] who stands on the highest and final rung of the ladder of evolution in this period of universal activity.

If that body in which your parental spirit dwells, were born without the sense of sight, hearing, smell, taste, touch, etc, then no information whatsoever could be taken into the brain, and “YOU” who are spirit [Gathered information] could never have begun to develop and the living body, in which the parental spirit dwells, would soon die, never having developed a personality or “CONTROLLING GODHEAD” to that body, which godhead should be an obedient servant to “WHO YOU ARE.”

When the body in which you [the mind] are being formed, dies, [This is the first death] and your body of “skin, flesh, muscle, blood, bone, brain matter etc, etc,” has returned to the universal elements from which it was created, all that remains, is a shadow or rather, a facsimile of YOU, the mind or spirit, that has been imprinted into the universal life force or soul, which returns to ‘THE GREAT THOUGHT,’ [The collective consciousness of all that exists] from which it will be resurrected in this cycle, or the next cycle of universal activity.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:31 AM
Deactivated Account
Hopefully this will be received in the way intended. I see any dissection of reality as part of the way of "calculation", of seeking to plot, manipulate and attain some sort of progress toward "enlightenment" / "salvation" or at least the coming to be of some sort of "self" we can give a pass mark to or be satisfied with.
If all that is truly valuable is given, as I understand it to be, then all such calculation can preclude realisation or what could be called the surrender of self.
Dissection of reality into this and that, in this case of "spirit" and "soul", juggling the concepts about, perhaps rearranging them, working on one rather than the other......whatever. I just can't see it or even understand the whole scenario.
I try to open to the "whole" and a zen "master" I have some time for, Dogen, spoke of a certain "mystery" of Reality, yet also said that "nothing throughout the entire universe is concealed”. I find those words liberating, for Dogen did not see "mystery" as that which is hidden or unknown in darkness or that which would be revealed or made known in the future. Rather, it consisted of the present intimacy, transparency, and vividness of thusness. Though nothing is concealed, the mystery of emptiness and thusness had to go beyond this: "intimacy had to be ever penetrated."
The road goes on forever. Dissection of the "mystery" hinders the unfolding of all that is "never concealed."
Old 01-09-2021, 02:33 PM
Master

Though I use the words interchangeably, what is the difference of you living and your body. Spirit has been referred to by our early ancestors as breath. The quality of life, not physical. Seen versus unseen. The body is not the source as we know. Spirit is that which animates.
Old 01-09-2021, 02:43 PM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobbler's Apprentice
...Dogen, spoke of a certain "mystery" of Reality, yet also said that "nothing throughout the entire universe is concealed”.
...Dogen did not see "mystery" as that which is hidden or unknown in darkness or that which would be revealed or made known in the future.
...Dissection of the "mystery" hinders the unfolding of all that is "never concealed."
This might be your best post, my friend. From Post #3.

Welcome here, The Anointed

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 01-09-2021, 07:00 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritualNovice
People say these words are used interchangeably but I think they both have different meanings to a person spiritually and as a whole person. Can you tell me the difference between a person's spirit and their soul?

Here's my two cents:

Spirit is our true limitless unchanging Being, while Soul is Consciousness.

Spirit expresses through individualised Consciousness. Thus the Soul is the vehicle of Spirit.

Consciousness in the worlds of form expresses through personality (the mind and the emotions expressing through the physical body) Thus personality is the vehicle of the Soul.

The spiritual journey is the progression of Consciousness from identification with personality to identification with Being.

Peace
Old 01-09-2021, 09:11 PM
The Anointed

Quote:
the Soul is the vehicle of Spirit.

The soul is the vehicle of the spirit that is you, the potential child of God, and after the first death, it is the soul upon which 'YOU' have been imprinted which returns to God who is all that exists, and the collective consciousness of all that he has become.

This body that you see It isn’t really me
It’s but the womb in which I’m being formed
For I am spirit, I am mind
And it’s the only place you’ll find
‘Who I Am’ until the day I’m finally born
For I will not be free, until this body that you see
Has returned to the earth from whence it came
It’s then that I’ll be born from this womb in which I’m formed
To carry on in life’s eternal game. …. The Anointed.
Old 02-09-2021, 07:00 AM
Greenslade

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritualNovice
People say these words are used interchangeably but I think they both have different meanings to a person spiritually and as a whole person. Can you tell me the difference between a person's spirit and their soul? please give definitions!!
But then you'd also have to define 'Spirit' and 'Soul', and you'd end up with two different threads and out of a dozen pages of posts on each, only two or three people are going to agree with each other.

Maybe the question is, "What are the reasons you're asking?"
Old 05-09-2021, 02:44 PM
Ghaleon

I've posted about this before how spirit and soul are used interchangeably in the spiritual community when they re in fact two different things.

The soul is made up of trillions of tiny bioelectric units and these make up the overall "fire" (soul) It is created from stardust ie from the sun and this is why we are all "star beings" and a star race alike with they're being many different star races in the Milky Way Galaxy (and beyond because im convicted that the universe is teeming with life that we are cut off from because of our limited senses). The soul is you, the personality, the ego. The soul however is not the whole you and only part of you. The soul/mind is one unit and this is why the "mind" is the thinking unit and not the brain in which the brain is storing memories and experiences which are transferred into the soul/mind. Therefore consciousness is so much more than YOU the personality, it is an expedited cumulation of experiences as the Oversoul or Higher Self. The soul can/does die but soul/spirit/mind as one unit is the "real" you as being the whole.

Spirit is who we are at our core being. It is the conscious, heartfelt part of us and this is where the terms "spirited" and "heart based" people come from. Spirit is non physical, immortal and thus cannot be destroyed. The divine sparks of spirit we have in our body come from the divine. The body and the soul are intermediaries to search for spirit inside. It is the spirit within that allows us to connect to the spirit of others. Humans on Earth are unique in the sense that spirit exists here however far from all humans are spirited. This is evident in our world where we see the extreme narcissist, psycho paths and sociopaths of the world. Its easy for these people to kill and or torture animals and other human beings and think nothing of it because they lack spirit. This applies to the Global Elite as well.

There is no such thing as "evil spirits" or any other term that has to do with beings whom are negatively oriented because spirit is not evil. There are evil souls, curious and or evil ghostly apparitions and demons alike but none of these have nor will ever have spirit. The Elite from the beginning have tried to know what spirit. They themselves lack it and don't understand it at all therefore to keep the "spirited" population in check they created the artificial soul whom are the mentioned above and have they're souls envelope these people to further traumatize the spirited population. Its true that some people have spirit but the spirit inside them is buried so deep that they take on the narcissistic personality.
Old 06-09-2021, 02:50 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
What is the difference between your spirit and your soul?

That is a good question.
I'm still trying to figure out what it means.

This is what i got so far:

The book "A Course in Miracles" / "Jesus Course In Miracles" states that:
1. the "Soul" was never born.
2. The "Soul" was created perfect. (in eternity)

If i look on the fact that humans are living in duality, then following thoughts come up:

The soul, if it is perfect, is unchangeable. - this can be called the non-moving part.
The Spirit, then, must be the moving part, (the action part ?) of the soul ?

(Use the parable of sun and sunbeam, it is easier to imagine the correlation )