Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Hypnosis

Old 06-01-2012, 03:38 PM
njbr1111

Hypnosis - Bad Experience ?

I have a friend who recently went for some past life regression hypnosis and had a very bad experience. He woke up cold, shaking and somewhat traumatised. I don't have all the details but is this somewhat common ? Would it be of fault of the hypnotist ? I'm not very familiar with hypnosis but looking for a few answers.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:50 PM
Krishna-prem

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbr1111
I have a friend who recently went for some past life regression hypnosis and had a very bad experience. He woke up cold, shaking and somewhat traumatised. I don't have all the details but is this somewhat common ? Would it be of fault of the hypnotist ? I'm not very familiar with hypnosis but looking for a few answers.

What you're describing sounds like an abreaction. It isn't super common but it can happen from time to time. In some cases it can be the fault of the hypnotist, in other cases it just happens. It's not the end of the world when it happens as long as the hypnotist handles it correctly.

Cheers!
KP
Old 15-01-2012, 11:25 AM
Master

I know nothing about hypnotism. I read in a hypnotism book that if the person has a bad experience then the hypnotist did not do a good job and you should find a different hypnotist. Better still I would not go to a hypnotist. Years ago I spoke to a hypnotist and she said she hypnotized someone to a past life experience. The person had a very bad experience. She was about to be hung or something similar. The hypnotist said to me, I do not know why people put themselves through that.
Old 20-01-2012, 10:20 AM
Aquarian

As a hypnotherapist, I agree. We're remarkably good at making stuff up under hypnosis. Also, there's rarely a need to examine past lives.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:31 PM
Nebulous

I agree with astralsuzy and more - going to a hypnotist to "recover memories" is a TERRIBLE idea! It is all suggestion - even accidentally - that will do nothing but put memories in there that don't belong. If you're going to find memories, past lives or whatever else, do it on your own. Never, ever ask a hypnotist to do it for you. You don't need to be traumatized by events that never happened AND fork over money for it.

I have seen a hypnotherapist make a woman forget the number 5 before. When he corrected it with a second hypnosis, she said afterward that after that first one it was like she knew somewhere in her mind she must have been counting wrong (when he asked her to count his fingers, holding up both hands, and she skipped right over 5) but couldn't figure out what was wrong and was effectively 'blocked' from using that number. Just one small example of how powerful hypnosis is.

Hypnosis is a fringe therapy at best, and when you are in such a suggestible state of mind, it is so terribly easy to steer you! The hypnotist should never ever suggest anything to you such as "Did the man look like this?" or, "where was he standing?" - in a hypnotized state you are all too willing and eager to follow their lead, and it becomes a permanent part of your subconscious. People have found themselves taking anxiety pills and going through therapy for what was implanted during hypnosis.

This "past life regression" hypnosis stuff (as well as things like "alien abduction" memory recovery and others) is a quack hoax. These hypnotherapists are making money by literally implanting memories into you of so-called past lives. Find your own memories of past lives, I guarantee they are far more legitimate. And if you can't find them, just trust that either you weren't ready for them, or who knows, you may just be a new soul! It's okay not to have past lives - we have new souls coming into being all the time. Not everyone is thousands of years old you know, and that's okay!

As for your friend, I am so sorry to hear that - he is one of many many many people who have been hurt by this profession! I honestly would suggest an understanding therapist for him (one that won't judge his beliefs in any way for example or that he feels safe discussing it with), because the trauma is very real, even if the memory is not. He may need help working through it.
Old 23-02-2012, 12:48 AM
BwellBTR

Therapist of any kind are still very Human and it is that factor that can either help or hinder. Simple truth is, how can anyone give you an answer to a question they are yet to recognize? Mind reading is not a scholarly pursuit. Do No Harm? Perhaps it would be better if Humans were more Humane. If you help people for Money, your motivation is based in self interest... There is no shortage of "experts" sadly the truth is all knowledge is free spiritual or otherwise... Help because you will, not because your time is worth more than another discomfort...