Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 25-06-2011, 03:52 AM
Master
a hole of needle

Jesus says a camel can pass from a hole of needle but not a rich person. Do you believe in this statement?
Old 25-06-2011, 03:58 AM
nightowl

Hey Thinker,
I beleive the statement is;

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven...haven't checked but I think that is how it goes...

nightowl
Old 25-06-2011, 04:21 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinker108
Jesus says a camel can pass from a hole of needle but not a rich person. Do you believe in this statement?

In the early 70's, I read one of the Sunday family supplements from the Sunday newspaper and Dale Evans was explaining what this meant. The "eye of the needle" is one of those long tall archways in the walls of the ancient cities where the camels could get in and out. And it went like this. When the camels were leaving and they had no goods on their backs they could walk through the arch without a problem, but when they came back carrying many things, they had to literally get on their knees to clear the archway. So it simply meant that a man has to humble himself, that is kneel before god, that sort of thing. I am blown away that nobody else has heard that story or seems to give it any credence, but it sure makes a whole heck of a lot more sense than just to be some off the wall mysterious statement.

Old 25-06-2011, 04:24 AM
nightowl

Hey SG,
I heard a similar explanation sometime back...I agree I believe it speaks to humility before God.

nightowl
Old 25-06-2011, 04:27 AM
Master
That was a great story, but the only doggone time I've ever heard anybody use that to explain it.

Old 25-06-2011, 04:27 AM
Master
It just means if your materialistic and you love your materials more than who you truly are, then yes it can keep you out of heaven, heaven within, that is.
Old 25-06-2011, 04:30 AM
Master
Right, exactly slice. It's just I remember as a kid in sunday school hearing that mysteriuous eye through the needle story and was very puzzled over it until I read the story that explains the terminology they used back then to describe the camel and the doorway in the city walls. It reminds me of the Indiana Jones movie where Sean Connery played the dad and he was trying to avoid getting his led lopped off by the booby trap, "...penitent man will pass..." then he kneeled and ducked and got through the first trap, lol. Great movie.

Old 25-06-2011, 04:32 AM
nightowl

Hey psychoslice,

Yeah, I agree it is a material minded vs spiritual minded is another way of putting it as well...

nightowl
Old 25-06-2011, 04:36 AM
Master
Also it has been debated that the word camel was actually meant to be, rope.
Old 25-06-2011, 04:38 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoslice
Also it has been debated that the word camel was actually meant to be, rope.

How does that fit into the story? Now I'm puzzled all over again, slice!