Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 07-06-2011, 01:06 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by athribiristan
Yes, I have considered this. The being I met was Christ. You can't fake that. I don't believe Jesus ever said that he was the only way to God. He knew too much to make such an obvious error. Certainly he never said anything like that to me. Which would you have me believe? The direct word of God, or the misremembered, mistranslated and purposefully altered text called the Bible? I have been taught to trust direct experience over the truth of others. This is what led me to God, and later to Christ. Should I discount that, then God would be false...Christ would be false.

I have had many messages from God himself and the two from Christ, his son. Does that make me a Christian? No, it does not. It makes me nothing but based on those messages I have chosen to be the servant of God. He has never required that I worship or in any way follow Christ. I am grateful for the beauty and Truth that has been shared with me by the Christ Consciousness, but part of that Truth is that wisdom carries no obligation to serve. He has given a great gift without requiring anything of me. That is Love and that is part of his message. If he required that I serve him then he would not be teaching Love.
athribiristan while respecting your choices and beliefs I wont attempt to correct any of it with regard to your beliefs in Jesus because they are yours. There is one thing that I would like to share with you I learned when questioning the way the bible was written and the way the gospels were written 70 years later AD.

With Ancient history, say for example what we know of roman emperors and famous people recorded in historical writings, it was very normal for a time period of years to go by after events and their recording in paper as paper was incredibly expensive then and they didn't just write stuff down like we do.

The way stories were transferred was Oral traditions. At that time A lot of stuff recorded in the gospels was common knowledge. Jesus fed thousands via miracles which means thousands knew. More ancient documentation exists regarding Jesus life than any other person in history. Its really worth the exercise to understand about how the ancients recorded things to help you put more faith in older writings. Nicodemus a roman historian also recorded things about Jesus independently that also correlate to the writings in the bible.

The same method of recordding the life and actions of Jesus was also used with Nero and Julius Caesar.

something like this helps a lot

http://www.amazon.com/Investigating-.../dp/0745953506

I have just been through this as i was discouraged a few years ago when I began to question it all but understanding this returned my faith much more than when I started. I have no doubt now.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:54 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triner
The missionaries also came in, ripped families apart and destroyed cultures. It's very similar to what missionaries did on the Native America Indian reservations. It's basically cultural genocide in the name of religion.

I'm not saying ALL the missionaries did was bad. But their arrogance and distain was very destructive.
Good post ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworkerAu
More ancient documentation exists regarding Jesus life than any other person in history.
Actually, outside the Gospels there are few ancient sources that mention him.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:47 AM
Master
The problem which runs through this, and other threads, is the mistaken idea which equates Christ with Christianity. One has little to do with the other. Christ - one of the teachers of man. Christianity - a political organisation and a source of much evil in the world.
Now add the bible. A collection of writings which has been revised, edited, extended, abridged, translated over and over again, yet is taken as the "word of God" when it clearly is the work of many men over the centuries.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:00 AM
mattie

Tolerance

In having read many such replies as well as posted them the objections about Christianity aren’t about the positive teachings such as Jesus’ authentic message of respect, love, tolerance, & equality for different classes of people.

Many view discussing religions’ (all of them) to be useful. They don't feel required to accept ALL of the beliefs as a package in a take it or leave it manner.

My perspective that includes a thorough traditional organized religion background. My parents’ religion included intensive bible study even for youngsters. I’ve read the bible cover to cover & many sections multiple times. I know it thoroughly, & have, as an adult, chosen my own belief system that I’m much more comfortable w/.

I began to actively reject this religion’s mainstays such as the hell business & all that is connected w/ this idea by the time I was 9 years old even though all around me were Christian. Nobody was exploring other religions, even others types of Protestant Christianity. As an adult I’ve come to the belief that ANY belief system or religion that preaches that we are inherently flawed (sinners) is damaging to people’s self worth.

Others have the right to select the belief system or religion that works for them. Many have an issue w/ ANY religion that displays intolerance, insisting that others adopt their beliefs or that they are inferior for selecting other beliefs.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:03 AM
mattie

Tolerance

Duplicate post.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:04 AM
mattie

Tolerance

Duplicate post.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysaetos
Good post ^^

Actually, outside the Gospels there are few ancient sources that mention him.

I think this was supposed to be a nice positive thread about the good it does.

The 4 gospels were written after the some of the other books of the new testament there are 23 others besides the gospels.

Matthew mark and luke are virtually the same except they are written to different audiences. Matthew is for Jewish cristians to understand. Mark is for greek christians. luke I cant remember. John is different again

Thessalonians were letters to the church in Thessalanonia It was the first document written. Then came others. The remaining books of the new testament also have Jesus as a central theme. Those are pre 1st century

Dead sea scrolls, Apocrypha ( books not in the bible but still of value). Gnostic gospels too but those are unreliable, but not a bad read regardless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacitus...sh_translation

http://www.facingthechallenge.org/josephus.php <<< read that one guys

http://www.facingthechallenge.org/serapion.php

There is also a record of some important lady in persia who notes the sun going dark or something like that. I wish I had my book I lent it to my brother in law Cant back this one up with links until I get it back sigh claimed forever I think.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:15 AM
mattie

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prokopton
Personally I don't oppose it at all, but I do oppose its exclusivism. (That is, its claim to be the 'only true path' -- it isn't.) ...

Respecting others' beliefs is a huge issue. This religion chose to present it's religious stories as HISTORY rather than as teaching allegories. This has created a huge problem for it as this stance requires it to be invested in converting others (least they suffer everlasting hell & damnation) if they aren't saved.

Adopting a position of tolerance & respect for others' beliefs could save it, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:18 AM
mattie

Protected Section

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworkerAu
I think this was supposed to be a nice positive thread about the good it does. as usual everyone drops bad things in . ...

There is a section of the site where one can post w/o opposing opinions being offered if one chooses.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:36 AM
Experiencer
Location: Adelaide, Australia - but born and bred in Ireland:)
I was brought up in a Catholic family - my parents weren't too religious, though we had to attend church on Sundays and were in a Catholic school, they weren't too strict, but my grandmother is a real fundamentalist. When I was approaching my Confirmation (so around 12) I started asking questions, like "how do we know there is a God?" Well, I got thoroughly told off and basically shunned by my grandmother until only a few years ago. I was just a child, trying to learn, but when she couldn't come up with an answer for me, she decided I was the black sheep of the family.

That part of my life has very much tainted the way I see the Christian church - I spent many years thinking there was no God, because the only option I had been given was the God that would allow children to be punished and shunned for asking questions.

Since moving to Australia I have made one really good friend who is a Christian and she has very much changed my views. She is a wonderful person, she does so much to help others all in the name of her church. She, along with many of the people here on SF, have made me realize, the good side of Christianity.

I believe that some Christians get so caught up in trying to save everybody, they forget to be Christian-like themselves.

I have a lot of respect for Christianity, but I do wish that Christianity would have more respect for others.