Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 06-06-2011, 03:39 AM
Master
The Christianity I experience is like...

It seems to me at every mention of christianity on forums strong negatives are sometimes thrust into thread replies by some who oppose it and it made me wonder if people really do understand christianity as would someone who lives and breathes it daily as Living faith and relationship with God.

Write the positives of your christianity experiences for all to see through the eyes of a Christian.
Christianity isn't the only force for good in the world but it can be a very good one.

it
Old 06-06-2011, 04:06 AM
Master
My belief is of the evangelical Christian one like Pentecostal. I am writing this as an observation of what positives I see.

Many don’t understand where Christianity is growing fastest now.

Christianity is powering in Africa and Asian countries. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christi...External_links

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_r...s_demographics

The Africans send missionaries to western countries now like Australia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Yonggi_Cho

That’s a background to help you understand the next bit.

Its really alive and happening in those countries. These are not nominal Christians. Christianity is really changing these countries in a good way (our pastor in Australia here went to the Congo to help with the churches there and the corrupt government was so impressed with the message that was changing lives on people there it is creating peace and honesty.

The government got him in to talk to officials about morals and honesty,because they want to stamp out the current dishonest ways. They teach destitute street women to sew and read which is a HUGE achievement to them. They are giving people dignity and sense of self worth their society robbed them of because of lack of resourses. The churches name in that country is highly esteemed by the people as it has improved their way of life and ability to interact more peacefully

Last week some Africans- a band came to our church to perform from the Congo. Half way through the lead singer said to us parts of the band were his family. He said as a child his one and only dream was to have more than one meal a day and his mother cried every week because she could not afford to feed them. One day a Christian mission picked his brother as a sponsor child through something like compassion.

That sponsorship was like winning the lottery to them 20 bucks a month in the 70's and 80's The christians in Africa educated him too through this which was a high privilege for any kid to get. The 2 brothers and their friend shared this sponsorship. Christians and charity workers made that possible, as did whoever paid for the sponsorship. They said Christians were the ones teaching them language skills and helping them.

Christianity in its proper form is a powerful work of good in the world. I live it and see it. Because of that church, with luck next week they will take me to help out street kids and prostitutes get off the street.. And our standard drunks on Saturday night.. I think I might get those. I cant wait to go it wil be fun they are such nice people both my Christian friends and those they help are :). My church is constantly doing things to benefit the community and build up people in it to go back and make appositive difference. This weekend all the guys will renovate a house as best they can to help a poorer family. Just to be nice.

I cannot help but be proud of my association with this group of people.

People with good natures and honorable intentions.

I se my Christianity that influences me change lives. But besides that I enjoy it myself.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:00 AM
Ascender
Lightworkerau,

Interesting that you should post about how wonderful the spread of Christianity is in Africa... You should read "Of Water and the Spirit" by Malidoma Some for an African's point of view on the Christian missions in Africa, quite saddening.

I also see Christians living in Love and Compassion and helping others quite often. I think that's wonderful.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triner
Lightworkerau,

Interesting that you should post about how wonderful the spread of Christianity is in Africa... You should read "Of Water and the Spirit" by Malidoma Some for an African's point of view on the Christian missions in Africa, quite saddening.

I also see Christians living in Love and Compassion and helping others quite often. I think that's wonderful.
Thanks for your reply.

From whats happening in 2011 the feed back I am getting is one of thankfulness. I was in Fiji a couple of years ago, and it was the same story there. Every village had church and it was pride of place it was their choice to have it. The missionaries that died and got eaten that took the bible in there helped stop them killing and eating each other. Because of what they did it helped bring peace and prosperity to that country. and also the English took in some indians which they are not so fussed on but you take the good with the bad.

One guy I was talking to at the resort said he went down to a village. In it he met the chief. "The chief sad to him we have much to thank you for"
The guy said Iv done nothing what am i getting thanked for?
Bringing the bible here was his reply. Then he said if it wasn't for that book it would be you in that pot for dinner. Thats what stopped it.

Cannibalism stopped there in something like 1927. The place has virtually no crime and its safe to walk around anywhere. I didn't see it coming till the locals told me all about it. it was the first time I saw first hand what it could change in a culture.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:20 AM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworkerAu
Thanks for your reply.

From whats happening in 2011 the feed back I am getting is one of thankfulness. I was in Fiji a couple of years ago, and it was the same story there. Every village had church and it was pride of place it was their choice to have it. The missionaries that died and got eaten that took the bible in there helped stop them killing and eating each other. Because of what they did it helped bring peace and prosperity to that country. and also the English took in some indians which they are not so fussed on but you take the good with the bad.

One guy I was talking to at the resort said he went down to a village. In it he met the chief. "The chief sad to him we have much to thank you for"
The guy said Iv done nothing what am i getting thanked for?
Bringing the bible here was his reply. Then he said if it wasn't for that book it would be you in that pot for dinner. Thats what stopped it.

Cannibalism stopped there in something like 1927. The place has virtually no crime and its safe to walk around anywhere. I didn't see it coming till the locals told me all about it. it was the first time I saw first hand what it could change in a culture.

All I'll say is read the book. The missionaries also came in, ripped families apart and destroyed cultures. It's very similar to what missionaries did on the Native America Indian reservations. It's basically cultural genocide in the name of religion.

I'm not saying ALL the missionaries did was bad. But their arrogance and distain was very destructive.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:56 AM
Prokopton

Quote:
It seems to me at every mention of christianity on forums strong negatives are sometimes thrust into thread replies by some who oppose it

Personally I don't oppose it at all, but I do oppose its exclusivism. (That is, its claim to be the 'only true path' -- it isn't.) As you've said, you don't think it is the only force for good... some people here do not agree with you on that. They think the only two possibilities are Christianity or ignorant darkness, a position which is clearly against all principle as well as all common sense.

In fact I would like to call on Christians who think that other paths can be valid to step up and say so, to their brothers and sisters who continually preach otherwise!

I'd like to hear more from WonderLight for example, in this spirit of this thread, about the Christianity he experiences. Hesychasm is very interesting to me, and I'm wondering if WonderLight ever practiced it or learned it and where...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triner
It's very similar to what missionaries did on the Native America Indian reservations. It's basically cultural genocide in the name of religion.

Sadly there certainly is this aspect to missionary work and conversion in principle. This has been going on since the persecution of paganism began in the 4th century. I keep meaning to do a few posts on that.

However when it comes to charitable work Christians here in the UK are acknowledged to do a sterling job.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Master
Quote:
It seems to me at every mention of christianity on forums strong negatives are sometimes thrust into thread replies by some who oppose it and it made me wonder if people really do understand christianity as would someone who lives and breathes it daily as Living faith and relationship with God.

Write the positives of your christianity experiences for all to see through the eyes of a Christian.
Christianity isn't the only force for good in the world but it can be a very good one.

My experiences with Christians have been very mixed. My experience with Christ has been nothing short of miraculous. I have encountered him twice and both times it changed my life in ways that I am still trying to understand.

He never asked me to follow him, he never claimed to be the one path to God. He just told me what I needed to know at that time and left. He taught me the power of forgiveness, the meaning of free will, and the symbolism behind his resurrection.

I have also been inspired by a few of the 'true' Christians that I have met over the years. They have been few and far between but they have shown me that even in the sea of people who give lip service to Christ that at least a few seem to see the truth of his message and live it.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by athribiristan
He never asked me to follow him, he never claimed to be the one path to God.
For false christs and false prophets will arise and perform signs and wonders, to lead astray, if possible, the elect.
Mark 13:22 ESV

Have you ever considered the possibility that the Christ who appeared to you was one of these false Christs? The Christ of the Bible did claim to be the only path to God and he called on everyone to follow him.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:49 PM
nightowl

I was involved in Christianity for 20 years. I saw both good and bad in the Christian churches. I have attended both conservative and charismatic churches. I taught Bible studies and did prophetic ministry and mission trips. I mention these things not to brag but show that I was not just a minimal participant.

I do want to share an opinion that many of the problems I experienced in the church were associated with the people. As with any group religious or not group dynamics do play a part in how things are run. What was taught or believed usually came down from leadership, some were legalistic and some were liberal. I believe that most people who feel aversion to Christian doctrine probably were somehow effected by legalistic and evangelical adherents then the liberal adherents to Jesus.

Christianity did help me realize that there was more to God than my simple understanding and did help me go deeper with the Spirit of God. I still believe in a monotheistic God. I have learned throughout the years that the teachings based in the Bible are questionable. What is really from God and what is really man’s interpretation is so intertwined with translation errors and misunderstanding of the original text that the Bible for me is a mess. The more I grew closer to God and the Spirit the more I could see the inconsistencies of the God I was experiencing and the one written about in Christian scripture and doctrine. The teachings of Jesus speak to my heart and about how we should treat one another, they do touch my spirit, but I always struggled with the idea of only salvation through him. This again seemed inconsistent with the God I knew.

I think that Christianity can become a judgment monster. When religious teaching points to how evil we are and how only certain people will get to go to heaven will rub against many. Christianity has produced good and bad. It has produced arrogant judgmental people and doctrines that build on human fears. It has produced wonderful organizations of aid and help. So any systems that involve people can generate both positive and negative outcomes and feelings.

The best thing it ever taught me was to never just sit by and let things be if you know they are wrong, now that pertains to both inside and outside of the church. To research and investigate what others teach. That all people experience God and it doesn’t matter what religious system you attach yourself to the important thing is to believe, connect and live your life to the end of loving God and loving others as yourself here in is the heart of spiritual living. There is so much more I could share but...

nightowl
Old 06-06-2011, 11:13 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by theophilus
For false christs and false prophets will arise and perform signs and wonders, to lead astray, if possible, the elect.
Mark 13:22 ESV

Have you ever considered the possibility that the Christ who appeared to you was one of these false Christs? The Christ of the Bible did claim to be the only path to God and he called on everyone to follow him.

Yes, I have considered this. The being I met was Christ. You can't fake that. I don't believe Jesus ever said that he was the only way to God. He knew too much to make such an obvious error. Certainly he never said anything like that to me. Which would you have me believe? The direct word of God, or the misremembered, mistranslated and purposefully altered text called the Bible? I have been taught to trust direct experience over the truth of others. This is what led me to God, and later to Christ. Should I discount that, then God would be false...Christ would be false.

I have had many messages from God himself and the two from Christ, his son. Does that make me a Christian? No, it does not. It makes me nothing but based on those messages I have chosen to be the servant of God. He has never required that I worship or in any way follow Christ. I am grateful for the beauty and Truth that has been shared with me by the Christ Consciousness, but part of that Truth is that wisdom carries no obligation to serve. He has given a great gift without requiring anything of me. That is Love and that is part of his message. If he required that I serve him then he would not be teaching Love.