Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Judaism

Old 22-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Pathfinder

Tzadikim Nistarim

Hello,
I would really appreciate what any one can share with me concerning the 36 Tzadikim Nistarim.
G_d Bless you all,
Saint Seraphim
Old 22-11-2010, 11:42 PM
Master
Old 23-11-2010, 01:02 AM
Pathfinder

Thank You very much for sharing that 7luminaries. Very interesting. I was reading a book a while back and came across the mentioning of the 36 Tzadakim Nistarim. The book did not explain it very well. Do you know if Noah was considered a Tzadik Nistarim? I kind of figured all of this had some relation to Abraham and Sodom and Gommorah. Is this in the Talmud? If it is, it is assumed to be fact, right? Anyways, I find it fascinating and love the whole concept, even more if it is true. It feels right to me. Thank you once again for sharing this. I always enjoy reading your threads.
G_d Bless,
Saint Seraphim
Old 23-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Seraphim
Thank You very much for sharing that 7luminaries. Very interesting. I was reading a book a while back and came across the mentioning of the 36 Tzadakim Nistarim. The book did not explain it very well. Do you know if Noah was considered a Tzadik Nistarim? I kind of figured all of this had some relation to Abraham and Sodom and Gommorah. Is this in the Talmud? If it is, it is assumed to be fact, right? Anyways, I find it fascinating and love the whole concept, even more if it is true. It feels right to me. Thank you once again for sharing this. I always enjoy reading your threads.
G_d Bless,
Saint Seraphim

With thanks to Rabbi Geoff Daniels.

"The Thirty-Six [Righteous] are the minimum number of utterly moral people in each generation that are necessary to sustain the world. The legend evidently evolved from an earlier tradition of interpreting the “thirty shekels of silver” mentioned in Zechariah 11:12 as an allegory for godly people; God ensures there will always be thirty righteous people in every generation.

It also may have roots in the story of Abraham's efforts to save Sodom (Gen. 18), where it becomes evident that any society must have a minimum number of decent people in order to survive (Gen. R. 49:3; Zohar I:105b; Tikkunei Zohar, 21).
In the earliest version of this idea in rabbinic literature, found in Gen. R. 49:3, there are forty-five, “fifteen in Babylon, thirty in the land of Israel.” There is no firm explanation for how the tradition settles upon the number thirty-six (Sanh. 97b). Perhaps it is symbolic of "abundant life": double the number eighteen, the number value of the word chai / "life." According to the “thirty-six” legend, most of the thirty-six are nisterim, unknown, anonymously doing their good work unnoticed by the world. A esoteric prooftext for the number is found in Isaiah 30:18 - "For the Eternal is a God of justice; fortunate are those who wait for Him." In Hebrew, the pronoun "for Him" has the numeric value of 36. Thus the verse is read as "...fortunate are those who wait - [the] 36"

The reward for their anonymous labors is that they are privileged to directly experience the Shekhinah. One of them in each generation is suitable to be the Messiah (Sanh. 97b; Chul. 45a; Gen. R. 35:2; Mid. Teh. 5:5; Zohar 2:151a)."

B'shalom,

Peter
Old 23-11-2010, 11:09 PM
Pathfinder

Truly fascinating. Thank You very much RabbiO and Rabbi Geoff Daniels for sharing this with me.
G_d Bless you,
Saint Seraphim
Old 20-08-2014, 07:35 PM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbiO
With thanks to Rabbi Geoff Daniels.

"The Thirty-Six [Righteous] are the minimum number of utterly moral people in each generation that are necessary to sustain the world. The legend evidently evolved from an earlier tradition of interpreting the “thirty shekels of silver” mentioned in Zechariah 11:12 as an allegory for godly people; God ensures there will always be thirty righteous people in every generation.

It also may have roots in the story of Abraham's efforts to save Sodom (Gen. 18), where it becomes evident that any society must have a minimum number of decent people in order to survive (Gen. R. 49:3; Zohar I:105b; Tikkunei Zohar, 21).
In the earliest version of this idea in rabbinic literature, found in Gen. R. 49:3, there are forty-five, “fifteen in Babylon, thirty in the land of Israel.” There is no firm explanation for how the tradition settles upon the number thirty-six (Sanh. 97b). Perhaps it is symbolic of "abundant life": double the number eighteen, the number value of the word chai / "life." According to the “thirty-six” legend, most of the thirty-six are nisterim, unknown, anonymously doing their good work unnoticed by the world. A esoteric prooftext for the number is found in Isaiah 30:18 - "For the Eternal is a God of justice; fortunate are those who wait for Him." In Hebrew, the pronoun "for Him" has the numeric value of 36. Thus the verse is read as "...fortunate are those who wait - [the] 36"

The reward for their anonymous labors is that they are privileged to directly experience the Shekhinah. One of them in each generation is suitable to be the Messiah (Sanh. 97b; Chul. 45a; Gen. R. 35:2; Mid. Teh. 5:5; Zohar 2:151a)."

B'shalom,

Peter

This is a very good reply!