Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Nature

Old 16-10-2011, 02:46 PM
Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentientno1
norseman, that is such a cool thing to do. With the spread of maples, and thier dense shade, much of the flora beneath them die out for lack of sun, including seedling oaks. You may or may or may not know oak and shagbark hickory forests are considered globealy endangered.

The viability of a wildwoods depends a good deal on it's diversity. In the future, i will look up your oaks

Its because oak/hickery forests are the last step to a mature forest. They take longer to grow, and live way longer then pioneer trees. You should look up succession of your native forests if your interested in that kind of thing, itll help you in the long run if you like to plant things!
Old 17-10-2011, 10:36 PM
Sentientno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time
Its because oak/hickery forests are the last step to a mature forest. They take longer to grow, and live way longer then pioneer trees. You should look up succession of your native forests if your interested in that kind of thing, itll help you in the long run if you like to plant things!

Not sure about that order of process Time...had a discussion with a state biologist some years back , his was opposite opinion, but, maybe the thinking has changed on it. i know i did disagree with him that maples were a recent event in this area and responsable for the decline of oaks and hickory. Historic documents record the making of maple sugar by the Native Americans, making maples not as recent as he implied.
Old 18-10-2011, 07:52 AM
Master
Where I plant used to be part of the original forest of Britain but, over time, it was cleared for farming, charcoal burning for use in Lead smelting, and even for building Nelson's ships. I plant in the valleys because the surrounding country is harsh in winter.
Old 18-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentientno1
Not sure about that order of process Time...had a discussion with a state biologist some years back , his was opposite opinion, but, maybe the thinking has changed on it. i know i did disagree with him that maples were a recent event in this area and responsable for the decline of oaks and hickory. Historic documents record the making of maple sugar by the Native Americans, making maples not as recent as he implied.

Where exactly are you from? If its north america, maples are everywhere anyways, and are probably a middle stage in succession.
Old 18-10-2011, 01:35 PM
Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
Where I plant used to be part of the original forest of Britain but, over time, it was cleared for farming, charcoal burning for use in Lead smelting, and even for building Nelson's ships. I plant in the valleys because the surrounding country is harsh in winter.

Maybe plant some lower shrubs in that vally? Some foxglove would adapt perfect as a ground cover!
Old 20-10-2011, 10:07 AM
Suspended
My work today involves finding information about trees of the world.

Imagine hugging one of these beauties...wow.

Old 20-10-2011, 01:24 PM
Time

I LOVE redwoods!

The species is over 100 million years old, and have remaind almost unchanged. This one is my personal favorite, and im currently trying to grow them from seed!

http://theshopatvictoriagardens.blog...ides-dawn.html
Old 20-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Suspended
The Giant redwood is incredible - I have to find 10 trees of the world (non-British - I've done them) and I couldn't leave it out of the selection.

I love the link you posted Time. That trunk is amazing!

How are yours doing? Have you started them?

Squiggs
Old 20-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time
Maybe plant some lower shrubs in that vally? Some foxglove would adapt perfect as a ground cover!

I am not much of a gardener, Time. But I can tell you there is ground cover, mostly heather and fern. Land is a thick bed of peat over limestone.. The valleys have soil washed off moors.

This is what it looks like. About 1200 feet above sea level. You can see the end of the valley in the rhs background and it is fed by the stream

Old 20-10-2011, 02:14 PM
Master
Squatchy A snippetlet about trees. In Weardale, small market town called Stanhope, there is a fossilised sequoia from when my patch was tropical zillions of years back.