Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 22-01-2021, 06:33 PM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
Here are some general points regardless of type of practice.

Understand the purpose
Understand the practice whether technique or no technique
No expectation
No manipulation
No chasing after or clinging to experience
Consistency is more beneficial than duration
There's no such thing as a bad sitting
I guess i don't belong here as I don't agree with any of your points after practicing for almost 50 years.These are beginners points of reference, and I thought this was a more advanced forum.
Old 22-01-2021, 06:44 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthtuner
I guess i don't belong here as I don't agree with any of your points after practicing for almost 50 years.These are beginners points of reference, and I thought this was a more advanced forum.

There are many meditation practices, and those on this forum seem to use various systems. If you regard JASG's points as beginners points of reference then what system do you use?

Peace
Old 23-01-2021, 11:14 AM
JustASimpleGuy

Quote:

In the early 90s I took a one year orange belt course in TaeKwonDo. When testing for a belt we had to demonstrate proficiency in the form and techniques associated with that belt and also the forms and techniques of all the preceding belts. Even when black belts were testing for their next degree they had to demonstrate proficiency in the forms and techniques of all prior degrees and belts, all the way back to white belt. Advanced techniques require proficiency in all preceding techniques.
Old 23-01-2021, 01:11 PM
Quote:
I guess i don't belong here as I don't agree with any of your points after practicing for almost 50 years.
These are beginners points of reference, and I thought this was a more advanced forum.
If that is what you would prefer - it only takes one person to change it up. :)
Be the change.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 23-01-2021, 06:35 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Nondual Meditation: One Practice of Total Awareness

This is an interesting technique and one I tried several times last year.

https://deconstructingyourself.com/n...awareness.html

There are many pathways into nondual awareness. Most forms of meditation, if you push them to their farthest limit, will take you into a nondual experience. Which one(s) will work for you is a matter of practice and experience.

In this post, I’ll lead you through one practice that I’ve found works well for people who’ve done a fair amount of mindfulness meditation practice in the past. But if you haven’t done much mindfulness it may have benefit anyway, so give it a try.
Old 24-01-2021, 09:09 PM
JustASimpleGuy

Basic Steps of Preparation

Some great advice for preparation to meditate.

https://youtu.be/xdX2gqfhxVI?t=933

What I want to focus on is the relaxation technique and I do something very similar. There's a saying that goes something like "Place body on cushion then mind in body".
Old 24-01-2021, 10:34 PM
JustASimpleGuy

"Do Nothing" Meditation

A very good and instructive talk on resting in awareness/do nothing meditation.

https://youtu.be/cZ6cdIaUZCA

Shinzen talks about the technique he calls "do nothing", which is associated with what other traditions call choiceless awareness, just sitting, the great perfection (dzogchen), and mahamudra. Shinzen's instructions for how to do this is: "Let whatever happens happen. As soon as you're aware of an intention to control your attention - drop that intention." Filmed at a group process in Jan. 2010 at the Mary and Joseph Retreat Center in Rancho Palos Verdes, C.A.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahamudra#Indian_sources

"Mahāmudrā, that which is unified and beyond the mind, is clear yet thoughtless, pervasive, and vast like space. Its aspect of great compassion is apparent yet devoid of any nature. Manifesting clearly like the moon in water; It is beyond all terms, boundaries or center. Polluted by nothing, it is stainless and beyond hope and fear. It cannot be described, like the dream of a mute."

Yup, 'bout says it all.
Old 25-01-2021, 11:28 AM
JustASimpleGuy

Mindfulness of Sound

When I feel breath becomes too stale or mechanical I switch it up, using sound as an object of attending. Here's a YouTube playlist of some Tibetan Singing Bowl tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...zUW-wKgrAMfKE-
Old 27-01-2021, 11:09 AM
JustASimpleGuy

Posture

I've never been big on strict posture, using a decent adjustable office chair, however I decided to give a try to a seat made specifically for meditation and it's the Alexia Meditation Seat. It looks like a good design, should be durable (leather) and is rated up to 300 lbs.

https://alexiameditationseat.com/wp-...XIA-ULTIMO.png
Old 27-01-2021, 01:05 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy
I've never been big on strict posture, using a decent adjustable office chair, however I decided to give a try to a seat made specifically for meditation and it's the Alexia Meditation Seat. It looks like a good design, should be durable (leather) and is rated up to 300 lbs.

https://alexiameditationseat.com/wp-...XIA-ULTIMO.png
Interesting, I didn't know such a product existed - I'd be interested to hear how you get on with it :). I've come to think that good posture is hugely important with regards to meditation, because discomfort in the body tends to cause agitation in the mind and just creates unnecessary difficulty, it seems to me (a little discomfort is to be expected, of course, but it's best to minimise it as much as possible I think). Poor posture can also hamper the breathing, which is also liable to create unrest and discomfort in the body and inhibit the flow of energy.