Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 27-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Experiencer
Loosing weight as a vegetarian

Hello fellow veggies,

I was wondering if any of you who have experienced some weight loss on a vegetarian diet had any tips or advice for me?

I've got the exercise thing down pat, Yoga classes, boot camp classes (I have much more fun in class environments), home exercising.

Should I be upping my protein in order to gain more lean muscle? Egg whites, natural peanut butter..

I'd love to hear any advice you guys have to offer!

All the best,
-TrainsAndSewingMachines
Old 28-01-2011, 12:42 AM
Master
skip the peanut butter, eggs are great, beans, tofu, milk, yogurt esp greekdon't eat white carbs or really a lot of carbs in generaldon't drink juice it's too high in sugardon't eat bananasmake sure you are getting enough iron and omega 3 (can get them from flax seeds and walnuts)eat every two to three hours light mealsmake sure you take a good multi vitamindon't use dressing, make a vinegrette low cal one
Old 28-01-2011, 02:07 AM
dogninja

I used to do more protein shakes, whey and then soy. I would bike to work (25 mi. round trip) and got a six pack without trying. Trains, were you a trainrider?
Old 28-01-2011, 03:19 AM
mava

lol, it's definitely okay to eat bananas...
it's great to eat lots of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. beans, legumes, nuts, seeds are good for protein. i wouldn't necessarily worry so much about the protein because we really don't need as much as people tend to believe, as in, we don't need to eat pounds and pounds of meat. try to incorporate some protein into every meal to balance the carbs, but i wouldn't try to bulk up from it.
it's definitely possible to lose weight on a vegetarian diet, but be healthy about it! if you're trying to avoid fatty foods, skip the salad dressing as mentioned above. i use dried cranberries as a substitute. or hummus. good luck!
Old 28-01-2011, 02:15 PM
Time

The one thing that veggitarians usualy lack is protien. When your body lacks a nurtrient you need, it either, burns up the availible resource of this, causeing you to loose weight, and or causes you to store it all, when you actualy eat some, causeing you to gain weight...

Im not an expert, or a vegitarian, but i do know, that everyone who switches over to a vegan or vegitarian, needs to see their dr every few months to check their mineral and vit, levels ( at least till you get the haing of it), as well as seeing a nutritionalist or dietician.

Low protien, and iron ( we get most of this from meat prducts), can cause havk on your body. Please even if you feel healty, go to your doctor to get your sel fchecked... just to be sure
Old 28-01-2011, 02:48 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by mava
lol, it's definitely okay to eat bananas...
it's great to eat lots of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. beans, legumes, nuts, seeds are good for protein. i wouldn't necessarily worry so much about the protein because we really don't need as much as people tend to believe, as in, we don't need to eat pounds and pounds of meat. try to incorporate some protein into every meal to balance the carbs, but i wouldn't try to bulk up from it.
it's definitely possible to lose weight on a vegetarian diet, but be healthy about it! if you're trying to avoid fatty foods, skip the salad dressing as mentioned above. i use dried cranberries as a substitute. or hummus. good luck!

um bananas are high in glucose and do not aid in weight loss, actually the opposite
Old 28-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Master
Try the Good food Doctor diet it's packed with yummy vegetarian recipes and the weight falls off .

Every situation is an opportunity for healing, learning, growth and transformation.
Old 28-01-2011, 05:40 PM
mava

But it's a fruit and any fruit is good for you.
I mean obviously if you eat too much of anything you can gain weight. So I wouldn't recommend eating tons of bananas a day, but I also wouldn't completely cut them out of your diet!
Combined with a balanced diet and exercise, it's completely fine, and even good for you to eat them.
Old 28-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Knower

Actually, research is leaning towards fructose being bad for you, at least in "high" quantities. It doesn't even have that many nutrients, just a loooad of sugar. Stick to veggies or if you must eat fruit, berries.
Old 28-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Master
^exactly zero, foods like bananas can cause blood sugar spikes.

Maya she asked about tips on loosing weight, bananas are high in natural sugar they won't help her loose weight and can actually deter the process. She can eat them in moderation of course that applies to anything you can even eat one cookie a day on a diet, but it's not a food that aids in loosing weight and can actually make you gain weight