Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Films

Old 26-05-2016, 09:51 AM
Newbie ;)

This is a hard one

I really dig the Zatoichi films produced, directed, and starring Shintaro Katsu.

A seemingly blind Masseur that assumes the title Zatoichi (zato meaning zero or lowest rank, and ichi meaning masseur)

In reality this blind ichi is actually a high ranking yakuza assassin and is an extremely skilled swordsman.

go to IMDB to read about it. There are 25 of these Japanese films, and they all have the same actor and they are amazing. If you like Seven Samurai, you will dig this.
Old 28-05-2016, 04:37 PM
Suspended

Fantastic Planet! : D

I enjoy a lot of Japanese animated films, like the ones directed by Hayao Miyazaki and Wolf Children...
Old 28-05-2016, 09:05 PM
Guide

Saimin (Japanese horror)
Most movies by Kim Ki-duk...and a bunch of other South Korean films
Old 29-05-2016, 06:52 AM
Guide
Like Water for Chocolate
The Orphanage
Pan's Labyrinth
Let The Right One In
Spirited Away
Amelie
Old 29-05-2016, 01:03 PM
Master
Been meaning to watch Amelie for the longest time, but still haven't got around to it!

I've seen a good few foreign films, but not loads, and I'd like to watch a few more, so this is a good thread for me Of the ones I've seen, I really enjoyed:

The Lives of Others
The Baader-Meinhof Complex
Mirror (Tarkovsky)
La Dolce Vita
Let The Right One In (didn't imagine I'd find a film with so much blood and gore so sweet )
Old 29-05-2016, 01:46 PM
Guide
Ah yes, forgot-- all the Bergman and Tarkovsky stuff.

As well as basically any Korean horror movie.
Old 29-05-2016, 02:22 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseelie Queen
Ah yes, forgot-- all the Bergman and Tarkovsky stuff.

As well as basically any Korean horror movie.
Oh yeah, Bergman - I forgot about him too. Went through a Bergman phase not so long back, had to stop after a while because it was getting me down Loved 'Persona,' 'Wild Strawberries,' and 'Through a Glass Darkly,' though must admit I didn't get all the fuss over 'The Seventh Seal,' but it's been a few years since I've seen that and I might appreciate it more now.
Old 29-05-2016, 02:40 PM
Guide
Forgot to add Ponyo (one of the more recent Miyazaki movies. It is possibly the most adorable movie in existence. Almost unbearably so.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A human Being
Oh yeah, Bergman - I forgot about him too. Went through a Bergman phase not so long back, had to stop after a while because it was getting me down Loved 'Persona,' 'Wild Strawberries,' and 'Through a Glass Darkly,' though must admit I didn't get all the fuss over 'The Seventh Seal,' but it's been a few years since I've seen that and I might appreciate it more now.

Love Persona. I haven't seen most of them in ages, myself. Seventh Seal seems to be quite popular with the snooty pretentious types, I notice! (And granted it is quite a visually striking film)
Hmm, I want to rewatch Hour of the Wolf. I've always liked the opening bit: "The hour of the wolf is the hour between night and dawn. It is the hour when most people die, when sleep is the deepest, when nightmares feel most real. It is the hour when the demons are most powerful. The hour of the wolf is also the hour when most children are born.'

Though I don't really make a distinction between "foreign" films and English language ones.. Seems odd to divide all movies under the sun into two categories like that. However, non-American movies are typically always better than American ones. Especially when concerning horror movies. American horror movies just.. Completely lack subtlety and atmosphere. They're always rushed.
Old 29-05-2016, 03:42 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseelie Queen
Pan's Labyrinth

Oh yeah! I forgot about this one...Very cool movie...