Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 20-05-2015, 06:54 PM
Seeker

How to change the world?

I want to change the world. I just don't know how to do it. I know I have the ability to do it in the future.
I want to be a motivational speaker, brilliant leader, great poet and a role model, all for the sake of improving this world.
But I don't know where to start. What sciences should I study? Which poems should I read? Where do I find people that I can 'spar' with ( = speaking, arguing and debating about ethics etc. to improve my own worldview).

I'm sure many others want to make a change too, it's just so damned hard.
Old 20-05-2015, 07:13 PM
Experiencer
Good evening Fikre.

You could learn practical skills like Permaculture, horticulture, agriculture, arboriculture and sciences like meteorology, medicine, physics, astronomy, geology and ecology. All of these activities lead to a greater understanding of the natural world, and of humankind's influence on it. You can travel the world while learning (there are brilliant Permaculture courses in Australia or Spain for example), and you learn in the company of great designers and innovators. You could also work with disadvantaged people in your own country or abroad, passing on your time, skills and knowledge - learning lots of lessons while you do it.

And, read. Read every scientific, historical, philosophical, biographical and autobiographical book or article you can get your hands on. You'd then have a breadth of understanding that would enable you to change the world for the better, and to inspire others to follow you.
Old 20-05-2015, 07:33 PM
Experiencer
Greetings,

Fikre: your desire to want to change the world for the better is a wonderful ambition and I wish you the very best ... and the follow up by DaiBach was superb.

But don't forget, any advice you wish on any subject can be found by allowing God to help you. It's amazing how many doors can and will be opened for you by those on the other side as long as you remember to ask.

I wish you the very best in your endevours.

JOHNTY
Old 20-05-2015, 07:40 PM
Experiencer
As for poetry; you can't go wrong with the Oxford Book of English Verse for a start. It has a selection of poems from all ages and all parts of the world and is a great introduction to the works of the great poets (the Celtic poets, Dylan Thomas, R. S Thomas and Yeats being the greatest ;))
Old 20-05-2015, 07:46 PM
Pathfinder

Sounds like you want to control the world, rather than help it.

We already have enough people like this already.

If you want to do something useful, buy a mirror and sit in front of it for 1 hr everyday.
Old 20-05-2015, 08:14 PM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideforever

If you want to do something useful, buy a mirror and sit in front of it for 1 hr everyday.

Depends on what you mean by 'wanting to control the world'.
Could you expand slightly?
Old 20-05-2015, 08:46 PM
Knower

Your heart seems to be in the right place if your intention is to make the world a better place. You and I share the same goal, and I also do not know where to start. Sadly, the only advice I have for you is to be yourself. Because that way you can do your best best and make the world a better place just by being in it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fikre

You may have taken that word 'control' out of context the above post. I think he/she meant that many want to CONTROL it, instead of help it... as more as a statement than anything. Many of us would rather have control over others than allowing them to be as they are, but that's only from my own personal experiences with people. It may vary for you.
Old 20-05-2015, 08:57 PM
Master

If you want to change the world, then you must change yourself.

Because if you can't be what you aspire to, then how can you expect anyone else to be?

If you can be what you aspire to, then you can speak from the heart and with authority.

Remember that the best teacher is good example ...

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Old 20-05-2015, 10:08 PM
Cheesus Toast

Quote:
I want to change the world. I just don't know how to do it. I know I have the ability to do it in the future.
I want to be a motivational speaker, brilliant leader, great poet and a role model, all for the sake of improving this world.
But I don't know where to start. What sciences should I study? Which poems should I read? Where do I find people that I can 'spar' with ( = speaking, arguing and debating about ethics etc. to improve my own worldview).

I'm sure many others want to make a change too, it's just so damned hard.

First off - please do not take anything I say to heart. I am not saying anything that is a personal attack on you at all. It is not my intention to lecture you either.

I think you are already getting some strong advice from people on this thread already. One person seems to have been very blunt; however, I think he possibly made a valid point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideforever

There are many people who wish to influence the world around them. Many have a level of influence that I find disturbing and others I do not mind so much. It is possible that those who wish to change things are actually looking for control.

The world will change regardless of who is in it and regardless of what people do. The word "improve" is incredibly subjective. For all I know, what you consider to be an improvement others could consider disastrous.

The people with the most influence are those with the most amount of power. These people include (amongst other things) those with money, those with new ideas that stand out from the crowd and people who make large amounts of effort to become known/ famous.

One of my main questions would probably be:

Precisely what is it about you or rather your values that you believe others require in order for them to become "improved"?

I would probably have many other questions but that seemed to be the first one that popped into the mind. The problem I see is that people who wish to change the world seem to do this for the sake of their ego. I would suggest that, in order to improve the world, one should concentrate on improving and understanding the self. I would suggest that those who truly find out what the self is will begin to lose interest in improving that which seems external to this self.
Old 20-05-2015, 10:15 PM
Lorelyen

Quote:
If I might interject.....

For example - what do you want to change it into? Realising such an ambition would come with a target and singleminded pursuit.

Jesus might have done it had his teachings not been prostituted for profit and control.