Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 12:55 PM
Master
THE GREATEST and 2ND COMMANDMENT

Jesus spoke of the greatest commandment and the second commandment.

Matthew 22:34-40
records that conversation from the (NIV)

(34) Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together.
(35) One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question:
(36) “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
(37) Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’
(38) This is the first and greatest commandment.
(39) And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’
(40) All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Why are these two commandments so difficult to follow?

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 01-03-2020, 11:13 PM
Master
Hard to believe the Ten Commandments and the rest of the law "hung on these two commandments."

Over 700 laws reduced to 2 ...... unbelievable simplification.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 02-03-2020, 01:28 AM
ImthatIm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn

Fear.

There is Love which unites and there is fear which isolates.
Love is a path which leads to the Kingdom.
Fear is the path which leads to destruction.

This how I see it.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:12 AM
ketzer

Quote:

(37) Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’

IDK, but it does seem hard. I suppose it takes some courage. Which reminds me that I saw a couple of good flix lately. "Won't you be my neighbor" and "A beautiful day in the neighborhood". I look at someone like Fred Rogers and think maybe it shouldn't be that hard after all.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:32 AM
Master

I don't try to argue with the dogma. When there's absolute faith, there isn't room for anything else. Questions like "why we are born here, ignorant, and have to learn to love Him based on faith with no proof", or, "why should we love our apparently undeserving neighbor as ourselves, unconditionally", are out of place.

To me, all those stories, and all those teachings are in fact symbolism. The symbolism varies among religions, and schools of thought, being different takes on the same unknown wider reality.

I feel more comfortable with an explanation like "all your thoughts create thought-forms; the more intense the thought, the more stable the form, and the longer and more influential that form will be part of your life", than just believing a commandment without question and explanation like "Love your neighbor as yourself".
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:35 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
I don't try to argue with the dogma. When there's absolute faith, there isn't room for anything else. Questions like "why we are born here, ignorant, and have to learn to love Him based on faith with no proof", or, "why should we love our apparently undeserving neighbor as ourselves, unconditionally", are out of place.

To me, all those stories, and all those teachings are in fact symbolism. The symbolism varies among religions, and schools of thought, being different takes on the same unknown wider reality.

I feel more comfortable with an explanation like "all your thoughts create thought-forms; the more intense the thought, the more stable the form, and the longer and more influential that form will be part of your life", than just believing a commandment without question and explanation like "Love your neighbor as yourself".

Good afternoon inavalan

Me thinks it comes down to what you class as your neighbor to be.

Doesn't say neighbours, unless someone wish to put me straight.

But that me
Old 04-03-2020, 12:51 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Jesus spoke of the greatest commandment and the second commandment. Matthew 22:34-40 records that conversation from the (NIV)(34) Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together.

sorry!, had to edit , accidently sent.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:56 PM
Ascender
Quote:

to truly LOVE God with everything, one must be willing to put "God", Jehovah ,before ones self. meaning trying to do his "will" as Jesus stated, which will give us life ,(Matt. 7:21 Not every one that said unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that do the will of my Father which is in heaven). Jesus even said that we should deny ourselves in order to follow him ,(Luke 9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me).

it's so hard for some, because MANY are more into their wants and needs more so than God. also satan, makes it hard by throwing in our faces, ALL that we desire. especially when he knows it goes against Jehovah God and Jesus. many of us are more about what the world has to offer ,which ISN'T MUCH. vs what Jehovah and Jesus offers, which is eternal life.

see (1John 2:15-17 Do not love this world nor the things it offers you, for when you love the world, you do not have the love of the Father in you. For the world offers only a craving for physical pleasure, a craving for everything we see, and pride in our achievements and possessions. These are not from the Father, but are from this world. And this world is fading away, along with everything that people crave. But anyone who does what pleases God will live forever).
Old 04-03-2020, 01:56 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo50
to truly LOVE God with everything, one must be willing to put "God", Jehovah ,before ones self. meaning trying to do his "will" as Jesus stated, which will give us life ,(Matt. 7:21 Not every one that said unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that do the will of my Father which is in heaven). Jesus even said that we should deny ourselves in order to follow him ,(Luke 9:23 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me).

it's so hard for some, because MANY are more into their wants and needs more so than God. also satan, makes it hard by throwing in our faces, ALL that we desire. especially when he knows it goes against Jehovah God and Jesus. many of us are more about what the world has to offer ,which ISN'T MUCH. vs what Jehovah and Jesus offers, which is eternal life.

see (1John 2:15-17 Do not love this world nor the things it offers you, for when you love the world, you do not have the love of the Father in you. For the world offers only a craving for physical pleasure, a craving for everything we see, and pride in our achievements and possessions. These are not from the Father, but are from this world. And this world is fading away, along with everything that people crave. But anyone who does what pleases God will live forever).

That is a nice synopsis of the Greatest commandment.

Can you do the same for the 'second' commandment?

Old 04-03-2020, 04:06 PM
Master
Moses never actually refers to them as the “ten commandments.”
Exodus 20:1–2 introduces one of the most famous sections in the Bible—indeed, one of the most important pieces of religious literature in the whole world—the Ten Commandments. Oddly enough, they’re never actually called the Ten Commandments.

The Hebrew expression, which occurs three times in the Old Testament (Ex. 34:28; Deut. 4:13; 10:4), literally means “ten words.” This is why Exodus 20 is often referred to as the Decalogue, deka being the Greek word for “ten” and logos meaning “word.” These are the Ten Words that God gave the Israelites at Mount Sinai—and, I would argue, the Ten Words that God wants all of us to follow.
Closed Thread