Spiritual Forums

Home


Donate!


Articles


CHAT!


Shop


 
Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-12-2019, 03:02 PM
Still_Waters Still_Waters is offline
Master
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 1,733
  Still_Waters's Avatar
Saw Excellent dramatization of Gospel of John

Yesterday, I caught the Gospel of John dramatization by Ken Jennings at the Sheen Center at 18 Bleeker Street in Manhattan, New York City. For those interested in seeing a dramatized, verbatim performance of this Gospel by a consummate actor, go for it.

I am NOT a critic nor do I have any vested interest in this show. I am not even a devout Christian (I'm eclectic but do quote Jesus often). I just wanted people who are in New York City or nearby to be aware of this excellent opportunity.The actor is obviously sincere and one can feel it.

In any case, here's the review I posted on show-score.com in accordance with the prescribed format of that site.

The Gospel of John
East Village
91
Great acting, Masterful, Thought-provoking, Riveting, Absorbing
Paul Joseph
December 9th, 2019

See it if you want to watch the life of Jesus unfold before you in this moving, verbatim dramatization of the Gospel of John by a consummate actor.

Don't see it if You don't enjoy solo-performances, a minimal set, or the subject matter which is essentially a Christian scripture with theology and dogma.

Also I caught the opening day 3PM performance by Ken Jennings in the Gospel of John at the Sheen Center, and it was truly an extraordinary, well-acted, riveting experience. The Gospel came alive and one could actually feel that the scriptural characters were on the stage in front of you, including Jesus, even though Ken was acting out all the roles in this solo-performance. Ken is obviously a devout Roman Catholic and he presented the Gospel like a prayer. It was a very inspirational performance. On the other hand, it is understandable that there may be some who are not interested in a solo-performance with a minimal set on a Christian book of the Bible which obviously includes Christian dogma and theology. Nonetheless, even for non-Christians, I would recommend this highly moving, inspirational, educational play on the life of Jesus presented by someone who most assuredly has a passion for what he is doing and clearly absorbed the audience into his deeply felt, sincere personal experience
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-12-2019, 03:56 PM
sky123 sky123 is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 10,159
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
Yesterday, I caught the Gospel of John dramatization by Ken Jennings at the Sheen Center at 18 Bleeker Street in Manhattan, New York City. For those interested in seeing a dramatized, verbatim performance of this Gospel by a consummate actor, go for it.

I am NOT a critic nor do I have any vested interest in this show. I am not even a devout Christian (I'm eclectic but do quote Jesus often). I just wanted people who are in New York City or nearby to be aware of this excellent opportunity.The actor is obviously sincere and one can feel it.

In any case, here's the review I posted on show-score.com in accordance with the prescribed format of that site.

The Gospel of John
East Village
91
Great acting, Masterful, Thought-provoking, Riveting, Absorbing
Paul Joseph
December 9th, 2019

See it if you want to watch the life of Jesus unfold before you in this moving, verbatim dramatization of the Gospel of John by a consummate actor.

Don't see it if You don't enjoy solo-performances, a minimal set, or the subject matter which is essentially a Christian scripture with theology and dogma.

Also I caught the opening day 3PM performance by Ken Jennings in the Gospel of John at the Sheen Center, and it was truly an extraordinary, well-acted, riveting experience. The Gospel came alive and one could actually feel that the scriptural characters were on the stage in front of you, including Jesus, even though Ken was acting out all the roles in this solo-performance. Ken is obviously a devout Roman Catholic and he presented the Gospel like a prayer. It was a very inspirational performance. On the other hand, it is understandable that there may be some who are not interested in a solo-performance with a minimal set on a Christian book of the Bible which obviously includes Christian dogma and theology. Nonetheless, even for non-Christians, I would recommend this highly moving, inspirational, educational play on the life of Jesus presented by someone who most assuredly has a passion for what he is doing and clearly absorbed the audience into his deeply felt, sincere personal experience



Great, glad you enjoyed Sounds like something I would have found interesting , oh well that's what happens when you live in a different Country... We have nothing similar happening here, lots of Musicals / Ballet/ Orchestras etc: which are very nice but something different for a change would be good..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-12-2019, 04:21 PM
ThatMan ThatMan is offline
Master
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,586
 
The Gospel of John is one of my favourite writtings from history, I love it and I love it, I am really happy for you that you had this chance!! :)
__________________
The truth.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-12-2019, 10:18 PM
Miss Hepburn Miss Hepburn is offline
Trial Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southwest, USA
Posts: 15,820
  Miss Hepburn's Avatar
https://www.sheencenter.org/shows/john/2019-11-30/


I went to many Broadway and off Broadway plays, cuz I lived in NYC for years.
A very exciting thing to be part of. Oh, and the stories I have!
__________________
.,

"Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by riding daily in a balloon of divine perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones...Meditate unceasingly,
that you quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence"
~~Lahiri Mahasaya, the guru of Yogananda's guru

I have no scientific evidence for anything I say.
Better to PM me if you want me to see a post to me. I miss a lot.







Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-12-2019, 12:27 PM
Still_Waters Still_Waters is offline
Master
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 1,733
  Still_Waters's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
https://www.sheencenter.org/shows/john/2019-11-30/


I went to many Broadway and off Broadway plays, cuz I lived in NYC for years.
A very exciting thing to be part of. Oh, and the stories I have!

I tend to go to shows and discussion groups often in NYC.

As for Broadway, I've won about 20 lottery tickets to Broadway shows over the past 2 years, including a $10 fee for 1st row center orchestra tickets to Hamilton.

One advantage of living in NYC is that there is so much diversity in shows, lectures, museums, and so on. Having been to almost 50 countries, NYC is still my favorite city.

This particular performance, the Gospel of John, was really mesmerizing. Even though I am obviously very familiar with the story of Jesus, the nature of the play was such that it still commanded my attention.The actor, Ken Jennings, almost seemed to be in a meditative state as he performed and one really did feel as if he was a real-time eye-witness to the happenings and that we in the audience were similar eye-witnesses seeing the events through his eyes (remote viewing ).
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-12-2019, 12:31 PM
Still_Waters Still_Waters is offline
Master
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 1,733
  Still_Waters's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Great, glad you enjoyed Sounds like something I would have found interesting , oh well that's what happens when you live in a different Country... We have nothing similar happening here, lots of Musicals / Ballet/ Orchestras etc: which are very nice but something different for a change would be good..

Having traveled to almost 50 countries, I get my visits from people whom I've met abroad. My friend, Jakob from Vienna, is a regular and he will be here in February ... again.

Let me know if you ever travel to NYC as I would love to meet you and host you and any travel companion who may be accompanying you.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-12-2019, 03:18 PM
sky123 sky123 is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 10,159
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
Having traveled to almost 50 countries, I get my visits from people whom I've met abroad. My friend, Jakob from Vienna, is a regular and he will be here in February ... again.

Let me know if you ever travel to NYC as I would love to meet you and host you and any travel companion who may be accompanying you.



Thank you so much for that lovely offer SW. If I ever do visit I will definitely contact you...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-12-2019, 03:14 PM
Still_Waters Still_Waters is offline
Master
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 1,733
  Still_Waters's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Thank you so much for that lovely offer SW. If I ever do visit I will definitely contact you...

That would be very nice!

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) Spiritual Forums