Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

Old 03-12-2021, 09:11 PM
Pathfinder
Do pets always remember a companion of theirs who died?

Back in 2018, we lost our beautiful black girl cat Ebony, long story short for the last 2 of those years we knew it was only a matter of time before her asthma attack floored her and her other health conditions stole her away, if her asthma allowed her to survive the attacks

I have (and had at the time of having Ebony) our stripy tabby girl Tigger

The night before Ebony left this world, Tigger was (unlike her, normal for Tigger was "if I can bounce on it then it will get bounced on, including bouncing on Ebony" ) very attentive towards Ebony, she would not leave her side and would go with her if she went up and down the stairs, positioning herself so Ebony if she fell she would not hurt herself by falling down the stairs, she would only fall against the wall or against Tigger

By this point, poor Ebony kept having fits and was getting weak on her legs, i knew in my heart that she was not going to pull back this time, she was too far gone by the cancers that the vet confirmed was eating her insides (tummy and lungs and brain) :(

My question is, does Tigger still remember Ebony now? Or has she forgot her? Last time she saw a black cat last year she got hurted cause she ran over to him to say hi to him, he lunged at her and caused a lot of damage to her leg

Her running towards a strange cat, who was the same colour as Ebony, is this proof that she remembers Ebony still? I assumed at the time it happened she thought Ebony was home and had ran over to welcome her back?

edit: I know when Ebony's boyfriend Tom died in 2014, Ebony never recovered from losing him, she still looked for him for nearly a year afterwards cause Tom and Ebony adored each other, she was never quite the same after his death, i honestly think she gave up and just went through the motions, me fighting for her every time she got sick, there wasnt much fight in her from 2015 through to 2018, i think the fight she did put up when she got sick was simply for my benefit, i dont think she would of tried to fight had she not had me and my mum :(
Old 03-12-2021, 10:24 PM
Administrator
No tigger wont forget Ebony she might even go to lie in her place.

she could even go looking for her. she wont forget her.

Namaste
Old 04-12-2021, 03:37 AM
Master
I had a dog that would go lay where some of her puppies were buried.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Old 04-12-2021, 02:42 PM
Knower
Ziva and Tyson are my two 12 year old Shih Tzus, brother and sister, together since they were born, totally inseparable. Tyson left us in July of this year after a short bout of chronic kidney disease. We took Ziva with us when we went to the vet for Tyson’s final visit. When we put Tyson on the pillow after he left (he was in my arms then we laid him on a pillow), Ziva went to him and poked his nose with hers.

Only lately has she been coming out of the bedroom to stay in the living room to watch tv. She was avoiding all the places he used to hang out at. I think she knows he’s not there and doesn’t want to be reminded. And it’s especially confusing for them because the scent is there, probably always will be, but the friend or sibling isn’t.

In short, I think they remember and feel more than we give them credit for. They remember people who’ve mistreated them, or people they (dis)like, favorite locations, etc. So yeah, I think they remember.
Old 04-12-2021, 03:17 PM
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jainarayan
In short, I think they remember and feel more than we give them credit for. They remember people who’ve mistreated them, or people they (dis)like, favorite locations, etc. So yeah, I think they remember.

Jainarayan, I am sorry for you and Zika and your family for the loss of Tyson.
I also believe they have memories, especially those sparked by smell and familiar locations. My grown daughter came to visit for the first time in serval years. My Cavi goes nuts when someone new comes into the house and my 16 yo Shih Tzu is deaf and partially sighted. But both reacted immediately when they got a sniff of my daughter, remembering her from when they were pups.

In many homes, like yours and mine, our pets are very much a part of our family and the joy they bring and heartache when they pass are very real for us and the four legged friends they leave behind.
“Opinion is really the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding. The highest form of knowledge… is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another’s world. It requires profound purpose larger than the self kind of understanding.”

― Bill Bullard
Old 04-12-2021, 03:32 PM
Master
yes/no
I know when my sister had to get one of her cats put down over cat other cat she had was trying to find his brother for a long time I'm where is he going
My cat Lucy when my dad died she was trying to find them for a long time I'm she was

i dream dreams all dreams
🌟🌟🌙🌙☔☔🌆🌆🌁😈😎😒💋💑💑💑💌🍨🍩🍔🌟🌟🌟✴🍩🍔
Old 04-12-2021, 03:52 PM
Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jainarayan
Ziva and Tyson are my two 12 year old Shih Tzus, brother and sister, together since they were born, totally inseparable. Tyson left us in July of this year after a short bout of chronic kidney disease. We took Ziva with us when we went to the vet for Tyson’s final visit. When we put Tyson on the pillow after he left (he was in my arms then we laid him on a pillow), Ziva went to him and poked his nose with hers.

Only lately has she been coming out of the bedroom to stay in the living room to watch tv. She was avoiding all the places he used to hang out at. I think she knows he’s not there and doesn’t want to be reminded. And it’s especially confusing for them because the scent is there, probably always will be, but the friend or sibling isn’t.

I am so sorry for your loss

The mistreated thing reminds me of something

Ebony was always afraid of police cars and police uniforms

Another fear she had was long things in a hand, one day my stepdad came to collect a cue for pool and Ebony saw him picking it up and dived under the table, cowered and would not come out for anything, she had both eyes fixed firmly on the cue the whole time she was cowering :(
Old 04-12-2021, 04:03 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by whispershadow
I am so sorry for your loss

The mistreated thing reminds me of something

Ebony was always afraid of police cars and police uniforms

Another fear she had was long things in a hand, one day my stepdad came to collect a cue for pool and Ebony saw him picking it up and dived under the table, cowered and would not come out for anything, she had both eyes fixed firmly on the cue the whole time she was cowering :(

Thanks. I still cry when I remember.

Anyway, my sister’s dog (long gone also) who was a rescue would growl when she saw anything like a cane or walking stick. After my husband had surgery he used a cane. When we were at my sister’s house Shelby growled at the cane. We put it out of sight, and she was fine and friendly with my husband himself, just cane set her off. We were all and then suspected she may have been hit with one by someone. Poor babies.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:07 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmergingPath
Jainarayan, I am sorry for you and Zika and your family for the loss of Tyson.
I also believe they have memories, especially those sparked by smell and familiar locations. My grown daughter came to visit for the first time in serval years. My Cavi goes nuts when someone new comes into the house and my 16 yo Shih Tzu is deaf and partially sighted. But both reacted immediately when they got a sniff of my daughter, remembering her from when they were pups.

In many homes, like yours and mine, our pets are very much a part of our family and the joy they bring and heartache when they pass are very real for us and the four legged friends they leave behind.

Thanks. And I swear I see him scampering around, and his outline. My house is “alive”. I see little scamperings in the evening. My landlord, who lived here, used to see shadows. Not anything malevolent, just people or things hanging around. I suspect it’s animal spirits.
Old 06-12-2021, 04:51 PM
Ascender
whispershadow, I have come a little late to this thread, but I will answer the question at the top of this thread with one simple word: "Yes". It is evident from what you have written that Tigger sensed when Ebony was close to passing. She will not forget her. The passage of years may dull the memories in the physical brain *a little* (as with humans, too), but at a spiritual level the soul never forgets a close bonding.

Every best wish to you!