Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 05-09-2021, 11:41 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelco
I don't think in Buddhism Siddhi are seen as wrong.
Not wrong, but they can arouse strong cravings and egomania.
Quote:
talk to the noble ones that mastered them.
probably a good idea
Quote:
the Visuddhimaga gives an in depth way to get to the siddhi.
https://www.bps.lk/olib/bp/bp207h_Th...ddhimagga).pdf
My word search didn't find 'siddhi'.
Old 05-09-2021, 11:58 AM
Eelco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
My word search didn't find 'siddhi'.
Correct, but since it is a translation...
The siddhis are mentioned as supernormal and other direct knowledge powers in dedicated chapters and all throughout the book under the different kasina sections.
Old 05-09-2021, 12:12 PM
Eelco

Cutting and pasting is a bit wonky.
Here's a part of page 167

Quote:
The fire kasióa is the basis for such powers as smoking, flaming, causingshowers of sparks, countering fire with fire, ability to burn only what one wantsto burn (S IV 290), [176] causing light for the purpose of seeing visible objectswith the divine eye, burning up the body by means of the fire element at the timeof attaining Nibbána (M-a IV 196).31. The air kasióa is the basis for such powers as going with the speed of thewind, causing wind storms.32. The blue kasióa is the basis for such powers as creating black forms, causingdarkness, acquisition of the bases of mastery by the method of fairness andugliness, and attainment of the liberation by the beautiful (see M II 12)33. The yellow kasióa is the basis for such powers as creating yellow forms,resolving that something shall be gold (S I 116), acquisition of the bases ofmastery in the way stated, and attainment of the liberation by the beautiful.34. The red kasióa is the basis for such powers as creating red forms, acquisitionof the bases of mastery in the way stated, and attainment of the liberation by thebeautiful.35. The white kasióa is the basis for such powers as creating white forms,banishing stiffness and torpor, dispelling darkness, causing light for the purposeof seeing visible objects with the divine eye.36. The light kasióa is the basis for such powers as creating luminous forms,banishing stiffness and torpor, dispelling darkness, causing light for the purposeof seeing visible objects with the divine eye.37. The space kasióa is the basis for such powers as revealing the hidden,maintaining postures inside the earth and rocks by creating space inside them,travelling unobstructed through walls, and so on
Old 05-09-2021, 02:56 PM
Master
QUOTE 107 EXCERPT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Doing an 'instant healing', is that not a Siddhi?

I never thought of it that way, but you have a point there.

As you probably recall, I had an "instant healing" during my symptom-free emergence from a 3-day "irreversible coma" NDE many years ago during which I realized that the physical body is projected thought/consciousness. Perhaps one doesn't think in terms of siddhis when one has some understanding of the underlying process.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:05 AM
Eelco

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rrh4qC...o 8Yg&index=4

Here's a nice light relief story about a monk who could fly.