Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 06-06-2014, 10:24 AM
Administrator
There are a lot of mixed race indians about but the majority that i speak to are full blood they all treat me the same, but as i said before i have got Native ancestry,we get a lot of people thar come onto the site from all over the world we get on with them as long as they have respect for us all.some people come on there wanting to know what its like to live in tepees.they dont see that the NDS of today some live in houses or on reservations,they are not interested in the NDS but the way of life that they once lived.

Namaste
Old 06-06-2014, 03:45 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimberlyt
Whenever I try to respect the old ways and traditions of the Native American people I get told that I have no business following native traditions because I am not full blooded. My father was half Lakota (no papers to prove it though). Things have happened in my past to remind me of what I am. The most hostile of the remarks I get are from Native Americans when I say that I may not look Native but my heart is! How can I respect and follow Native beliefs and traditions when those very people get upset over it?

If your in California I can tell you when the next native ceremony is. There are three tribes and three medicine women doing it. One of which is Lakota. She does the pipe ceremony. She knows a lot and is awesome to talk to.

The deal for them in the ceremony is about integration of cultures and community it seemed. They used to do a monthly I think, sweat lodge. And hoping to do it again. They are looking for land to do it again.

California is a very diversified state culturally. So people are pretty open culturally. Its a melting pot.

I never in my life seen such a beautiful event. Everyone was happy and free spirited. From all kinds of ethnic backgrounds. I don't think anybody even thought about who was what on the outside. The spirit is all the same is what I felt there. Maybe its because its California I don't know.

In any case I pretty much never request time off from work. I just take what they give me. But I will be asking for time off to go to there events. To give you an idea how awesome it was! Lol

Wherever I May Roam
https://youtu.be/Qq9PxuAsiR4
Old 06-06-2014, 04:03 PM
elisi

running

i'm a bit confused....i thought arvol looking horse was the 19th generation keeper of the white buffalo calf pipe. i know some lakota and they are a patriarchal society. i didn't realize lakota women could do pipe ceremonies.

just going on what i've been told. please tell me if things have changed.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:08 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisi
running

i'm a bit confused....i thought arvol looking horse was the 19th generation keeper of the white buffalo calf pipe. i know some lakota and they are a patriarchal society. i didn't realize lakota women could do pipe ceremonies.

just going on what i've been told. please tell me if things have changed.

I'm not a Lakota. Or even Native American. I'm just a person who went to the event. So I can't answer that. I would guess it is not a pipe for all the Lakota. But a pipe for the ceremony. I believe but dont know her husband is a pipe maker for them. I have a piece of one that broke.

Perhaps they are going against old Lakota customs as far as having to be a man. Who knows? Women make great healers from what I have seen.

Wherever I May Roam
https://youtu.be/Qq9PxuAsiR4
Old 06-06-2014, 04:22 PM
elisi

thanks. yes, women DO make good healers.

i was just curious because i know not all nations are the same.

the cherokee, for instance, are matriarchal and the clan mothers rule.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:32 PM
Guide
Location: Up a mountain communing with the Grandfathers, Ancestors, Ravens n Horses beside the Stones
elisi

As far as I know Lakota are a Matriarchal society, I'm good friends with a Lakota medicine carrier who is a woman. Check out the links below to some interviews with Russel Means a well know Lakota actor and AIM Activist.

This is regarding the matriarchal society he lives in. Also you may want to check out his E-book titled " If you have forgotten the name of the Clouds you have lost your way." Its a very interesting read.

Pm me if you want further detail of his book I'll happily give you the links.

Maikan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuTdvDk1cxw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFt6XRyQhD8

Here's where we go off the map.
Out past the power lines,
up that little side road without a sign.
Hidden from the mainstream.

Keeper's of the Ancient future, Keepers of the Drum.
They don't preserve it.....
They live it......!
Old 06-06-2014, 07:37 PM
elisi

makoiyi

thanks for the info. i can't remember why i believed that.

yes, i know russell. but i haven't read that book. i'll have to check it out.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:35 PM
Guide
Location: Up a mountain communing with the Grandfathers, Ancestors, Ravens n Horses beside the Stones
Its well worth the read, if you've trouble tracking it down as I said feel free to pm me n I'll give you the links.

Maikan

Here's where we go off the map.
Out past the power lines,
up that little side road without a sign.
Hidden from the mainstream.

Keeper's of the Ancient future, Keepers of the Drum.
They don't preserve it.....
They live it......!
Old 07-06-2014, 07:23 PM
Suspended
I am Navajo. I am now back out in the back country of the REZ. I am not near WiFi now. When I do find a WiFi hot spot, connections are iffy at best. I will not be in this forum as much as I am in winter season.

I now in back desert with the Horses, rocks and wind. I Wish my friends here the best. Please PM me if you need to, and allow a few days for a response from me.

As far as the Topic in this thread, Honor Yourself. Forget the blood quota. Just click off the Internet bullies, for they are insecure cowards, for they are not really Native, blood quota or not.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:26 PM
elisi

thunder bow

i know the rez is a big place but by chance do you know chuckie begay? she's dine and a musician.

i haven't seen her for awhile and was hoping all is well with her.