Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 07-08-2011, 01:43 PM
Ascender
The Wind Is My Mother

I just finished reading that book by Bea Heart. I just have to say that I found it rather sad how some of the Christian teachings had been merged in with the Native American beliefs.

Especially the part in which he described a group of Native Americans singing a song about how wretched (I don't remember the exact word) they all were.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:28 PM
Master
I know Amazing Grace is one of the most popular old Christian songs/hymns, but I always wrinkled my nose at it because I thought how very very sad. It just didn't jibe with what I understood about who and what Jesus was all about. I'll never understand how people can 'get' anything out of that song, that kind of attitude.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:05 PM
earthprowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triner
I just finished reading that book by Bea Heart. I just have to say that I found it rather sad how some of the Christian teachings had been merged in with the Native American beliefs.

Especially the part in which he described a group of Native Americans singing a song about how wretched (I don't remember the exact word) they all were.

read more, the christian teachings weren't merged with their beliefs but more forced into their beliefs. seeing as they were "heathens" in their eyes, they just didn't know any better and had to be taught about God. I think for the most part they took it on the chin and did better than I would today. Thinking of someone forcing their beliefs on my lifestyle because they didn't think I knew anything and refusing to look at the way I saw things. very closed minded.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:42 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthprowler
read more, the christian teachings weren't merged with their beliefs but more forced into their beliefs. seeing as they were "heathens" in their eyes, they just didn't know any better and had to be taught about God. I think for the most part they took it on the chin and did better than I would today. Thinking of someone forcing their beliefs on my lifestyle because they didn't think I knew anything and refusing to look at the way I saw things. very closed minded.

Yes, I've read other books that demonstrate what you're saying. In other books, the Native Americans have dropped the Christian teachings all together. To me, those express a purer, if not pure, form of Native American beliefs.

I just found it sad in that particular book how the merging of the two expressed itself. Like "Amazing Grace" Silvergirl referred to her post. I would find it terribly sad to hear Native Americans singing "to save a wretch like MEEEEEE".
Old 13-08-2011, 07:43 PM
thunderseed

Well, things are the way they are and we can empower the native youth of today, allowing them to have voices, and teaching them about their culture and traditions.
There are a lot of ancestors who did not give up without a fight, and there are a lot of my people today that still hold onto the sacred way. The native way is not dead, or lost, or mixed up with christianity. I know native people who choose to go to christianity these days, do so with their own obligations, but most times, they still have their traditions. There are also some who are very lost and dislocated. There are some very bad things going on today, even. The government is still killing my people, you just will never hear it in the media, you only hear about the bad things we do.

In the end, what is the difference, between calling the Creator "GOD", instead of "wa kan tan kan"? There is no difference.
We have a creator, just like christians do, in fact, there are many similarities between that religion and our spirituality, even the stories. The difference is, christianity became a tool of destruction and was changed over the years from its original context. Native beliefs and creation stories were never changed, they were passed over generations through elders, medicine people and story tellers, and to this day, they remain untouched, unchanged. It takes strict regulations in order to become a person who has the sacred and respectful job of preserving these things. We don't write down our traditions and ways, for that reason.

When christianity was introduced, it was a lot more than just a "we don't understand your beleifs thing" it was just another tool of genocide, and they banned our beliefs as being evil. They took away all our sacred objects, and would kill those who they found practicing it, even if they found you holding a sacred mask.
And my elders to this present day, were there to witness it, they remember the Christian residential schools they were in, and terrible memories of what happened, you see, it was not that long ago, and these horrible things were still happening. All sorts of white people would come to preach and open up their little religious schools, and people were forced into it, these same people that preached about God were also hurting people, raping the women, and killing innocent children and persons. This continued to happen into the generation of my elders.

But to this day, i look at my elders and relatives who still have not forgotten it, and i feel ashamed. Why? Because they are allowing the sickness to harvest their futures, and they are living in hatred. It was terrible, but we should be coming together and working on helping the youth.
On the day there was a mass apology for the residential schools all over the news, a lot of first nations people did not know what to expect, or how to react. I had to witness my elders being brought into terrible memories, having horrible traumatic breakdowns. Some people were pleased, yet others still lived by "how could an apology make up for what happened?"
The only two places of first nations decent that have ever received an apology by white man, is Australia, and here, in Canada. My people in the US have not a thing, and it is not very big on multicultural living like it is here. But even here, it is hard. A lot of mass suicides happen on the reserves. A lot of mass die outs. Alcohol addictions. Lots of my people have lost the old ways. But on the other hand, a lot of my people have not lost the old ways, and we are striving to unite and resurrect the culture, teach the youth, help the elders, and build strong communities. With native pride.

Old 13-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Master
Lightbulb

Quote:
The only two places of first nations decent that have ever received an apology by white man, is Australia, and here, in Canada. My people in the US have not a thing, and it is not very big on multicultural living like it is here. But even here, it is hard. A lot of mass suicides happen on the reserves. A lot of mass die outs. Alcohol addictions. Lots of my people have lost the old ways.But on the other hand, a lot of my people have not lost the old ways, and we are striving to unite and resurrect the culture, teach the youth, help the elders, and build strong communities. With native pride.

It's good to hear about the existing sparks.

Old 14-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Ascender
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderseed
... But on the other hand, a lot of my people have not lost the old ways, and we are striving to unite and resurrect the culture, teach the youth, help the elders, and build strong communities. With native pride.

Agree with silvergirl... that is good to hear about the existing sparks.

One thing I wonder, as a 50 year old white guy on the East coast of the US, is there anything I can do to help? I'd love to help, but have absolutely no idea how.
Old 17-08-2011, 05:12 PM
sunwolf411

from Sunwolf

Quote:

I have not read that particular book, however, I do have an opinion I think it is shameful the way the white missionaries and other christian religious persons decided they had to commit complete genocide on our own native peoples. Part of that was sending the children to the missionarie's boarding schools where their entire culture was wiped out, customs, songs, ceremonies, religion, manner of dress. It is sickening what the white man has done. I only hope that new generations of native americans work on bringing back their culture and their own religious beliefs and practices. Especially the shaman system, that needs to come back, they know the importance of bring religion and medical knowledge together, as well as spirituality. I hate to see that all go, and I think all native americans should band together and work on bring their culture and beliefs back. Don't give up! - Sunwolf
Old 17-08-2011, 06:20 PM
Master
Interesting thread.......I personally like the song but kind of block out a few words here and there.
Spiritlite.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:47 AM
willows

Quote:
I just have to say that I found it rather sad how some of the Christian teachings had been merged in with the Native American beliefs.

Yep, definitely a tragedy. I remember reading a book about Norse mythology back in school, and there were all of these great stories, and then, at the end, I found tacked on some garbage about how after the great battle, the Christian god came down from a higher realm and assumed control... I thought it was bizarre, and now that I think about how, at some point, that happened because some other so-and-so's came in and said look this what you're going to believe now....

Edited by SF Staff

Last edited by Kaere : 03-09-2011 at 07:54 PM.