Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 19-05-2022, 02:30 PM
Knower

I see they list Eckhart Tolle as neo-Advaita. I actually like his teachings. I think I'm also referring to non dual teachers or what they are calling pseudo-Advaita. The whole there is no path we are already awakened thing. I should research before I post. It's been a long while since I looked up neo Advaita/non duality teachers. Also I shouldn't have said all teachers, just some of the ones I've come across.
Old 19-05-2022, 07:05 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexagon222
@iamthat Hate to admit it, if I want an ego check I just watch neo-Advaitist vids on youtube. It's my kryptonite, my trigger lol. ...

Listened to Adyashanti for a few minutes about his awakening. It was good! His experience is similar to mine.
I know what you mean. There are various neo-Advaitist teachers who say do nothing and enlightenment will happen, which is no doubt very appealing to some people. So they try doing nothing and oddly enough nothing happens. So they move on to the next such teacher who again says "Do nothing."

But all these teachers seem to spend a lot of time and energy telling people to do nothing. How many books and videos does it take to get the message across?

Their teachings do contain much of value, but many of them seem to have no idea how their own realisation happened so how can they then guide others to that same realisation?

Reading Adyashanti last night he said that he has no problems using terms such as I, me and mine. It is the most convenient and natural way to teach. I would agree. But there are those who might be described as the neo-Advaita language police who pounce on any reference to a separate self. As you say, their understanding seems to be entirely intellectual. With realisation comes the freedom to use whatever terms we want.

Anyway, enough griping about neo-Advaita - as I said, the teachings do have value but some practical application is required.

I don't think I have ever read Evelyn Underhill - I have always associated her with Christian mysticism whereas I prefer Eastern mysticism.

Peace
Old 20-05-2022, 03:29 AM
traceyacey12

Interesting posts Hexagon and iamthat thanks :)
Old 23-05-2022, 09:23 AM
JustASimpleGuy

Idiot's Guide to Awakening (For Dummies)

https://youtu.be/pnkfWrt1QVk?list=PL...F2rGcUqIb4O F

Gotta go past thoughts...
Old 24-05-2022, 04:58 AM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
Abiding awakening is a permanent shift in consciousness, non-abiding awakening may last for a moment, a day, a week, or even some years.

Reading Adyashanti

Read "The End of Your World" Good book! One of the more relatable books I've read. I see he mentions not wanting to tell his story of past life to Non-Dualists because they will tell him "no one ever existed, no one was ever born" etc. Those are the non-dualists I'm speaking of. They tear down others experience, it's their way or the highway. However, I was watching a youtube vid of a non-dualist today and they explained their awakening. Seemed genuine and humble and haven't seen any videos of them tearing people down. So I enjoy that non dual teacher. Thanks M.R.!

My initial awakening was a permanent shift in consciousness, it is permanent. I could go into detail why, but once you have the keys to the prison door you never become a prisoner of the mind again, well at least not for long and never like before the awakening. There are higher states of being/consciousness, more awakenings. Those were not permanent. Also about the claim of a final awakening, I too thought the first awakening was the final, and second, third, fourth and so on ... To me the final awakening in human form would mean to transcend this physical plane entirely, there would be no one to say “my final awakening”. The movie “Powder” and “Midnight Special” kind of embodies that. That you move beyond this existence as you evolve. I know that sounds way out there but it’s my take and partial experience that in the final awakening you would not remain here.

One of the biggest differences I have with the book and elsewhere is the idea that you are not in control. That you have zero control in what happens to you in life and that you need to surrender to that fact. I know it to be the exact opposite. After awakening all things are possible. If that’s not included in the teaching then it’s not a complete teaching for me. Somebody like Robert A. Russel or Emmet Fox would be a more complete teaching, for me anyway. States of being/consciousness can be changed through deliberate manifestation. You can become enlightened, achieve union with the one by manifestation. It's not all things are possible to him who believes except enlightenment. But there is still purging and purification (clearing out, diminishment of self) at times and that means surrendering, as I understand it.

Oh yeah, I liked how Adyashanti said that after the awakening a percentage of you gets blown out. That's a much clearer way to put it.
Old 24-05-2022, 05:01 AM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustASimpleGuy

Nice video!
Old 24-05-2022, 07:27 PM
Master

Quote:
Read "The End of Your World" Good book! One of the more relatable books I've read. ... One of the biggest differences I have with the book and elsewhere is the idea that you are not in control. That you have zero control in what happens to you in life and that you need to surrender to that fact. I know it to be the exact opposite.
Yes, it is very relatable. I like that he says that awakening is drawn to clearing those aspects of ourselves which are unawakened. This acknowledges that we can still be dealing with personality issues long after awakening.

Which is similar to Sri Aurobindo who says that realisation of the Divine happens in two stages. First there is the realisation of the Divine within, and then there is the descent of the Divine through the lower vehicles of expression. It is this descent of the Divine which transforms the lower vehicles.

The question of control is an interesting one. Yes, we do seem to have control in many areas of our lives. We make choices and deal with the consequences of these choices. But then there are the larger circumstances within which we live. Here we have no control over events. All we can do is choose how we respond to these events. We can resist (even if resistance is futile) or we can surrender (flowing with whatever unfolds).

It is all interesting.

Peace
Old 24-05-2022, 10:53 PM
Knower

@iamthat

I agree with what you have said, well put! That is the practice, to surrender to what is, to our current circumstances, non resistance, non reaction and so on. There is also the idea that on a much deeper level you are creating everything that you experience in your life. Reality being literally like a dream, an illusion. It has been talked about in NDE's and various teachers. But I get that it's not everyone's cup of tea.
Old 25-05-2022, 07:14 PM
Master

Quote:
There is also the idea that on a much deeper level you are creating everything that you experience in your life. Reality being literally like a dream, an illusion. ...But I get that it's not everyone's cup of tea.
Yes, I do believe that on a deeper level we are the architects of our own lives. Before incarnating we make certain choices about the life we are about to experience, although that does not necessarily mean that everything is fixed.

And our external circumstances and environment are mirrors of our internal states. If we want to change what is outside we start by changing what is inside.

Or to use the analogy of a film being projected on a screen, the screen is our environment, the film is made up of our mental and emotional filters, and it is the Light of our Consciousness which allows projection to happen. If we don't like the images on the screen then we need to change the film. The more clear the film, the more there is just Light shining on the screen.

But as you say, this is not everyone's cup of tea. There is always someone who questions why people would choose to undergo certain experiences, and at some point it leads to a discussion on the Holocaust. But from the perspective of the Soul or Consciousness, a life on Earth is just a brief moment. The suffering passes but the learning remains, and out of learning comes wisdom.

Peace
Old 27-05-2022, 07:15 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
If we don't like the images on the screen then we need to change the film.

I think the value in understanding that we create our reality, that we can manifest, call it prayer, faith etc, is that prayer/faith can move mountains and nothing will be impossible to you. The mountain can be the personality issues you mentioned, the blockages to enlightenment, union, ascension. To me understanding this is even more important than the practice mentioned in previous posts. That we wouldn't even need to change the film, it can be changed for us.

Last edited by Hexagon222 : 27-05-2022 at 11:58 PM.