Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 27-05-2014, 01:20 PM
Experiencer
If it's something we have to overcome, why does the ego exist?

We are humans. We were all born onto this Earth and into this form for a higher purpose. Right? Why, then, is the ego considered an enemy?

Surpassing the ego takes us beyond the physical and into the enlightened state (if I'm not mistaken). If we were meant to dwell within the spiritual plane alone, why would we not begin and remain there? Why does the ego even exist if it does not define and sustain our experience as human beings?

The more I'm reading about the ego, the more confused I'm becoming. Intentions of suppressing it provide amazing results, I'm sure, but why strip away the form you were provided with? Surely, we're all human for individualized reasons. Wouldn't complete undoing of the ego negate those reasons?

Very confused - sorry if the wording of this question reflects that. ;)
Thank you for your help in advance! Hope you're having a great week!
Old 27-05-2014, 01:52 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur-de-Frost
Why, then, is the ego considered an enemy?
That's a new-age misconception and misrepresentation of certain Eastern beliefs. Religious dogma (sin, the corrupt flesh, etc.) is also responsible for prejudicial interpretations of that sort. The ego is what it is. Recognize and accept it, and control it and don't allow it to control you. Pretty much the mantra for any and all self-realization knowledge and wisdom.
Quote:
Why does the ego even exist if it does not define and sustain our experience as human beings?
That's a very good question. The ego, and working with aspects of the ego, is a big part of the incarnation experience. But I wouldn't say it defines our experience. It is part of the experience of being human, but so is learning to control one's egoic responses and behavior. In fact I would say the latter is more relative with regards to the main purpose of incarnation. We come here to learn how to move beyond the ego self.

Even less does the ego sustain our experience as human beings. Again, yes it is an aspect of the human experience. But the ego is not what sustains us as souls in human form. It is our higher spirit natures that sustain us.
Old 27-05-2014, 02:22 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baile
That's a new-age misconception and misrepresentation of certain Eastern beliefs. Religious dogma (sin, the corrupt flesh, etc.) is also responsible for prejudicial interpretations of that sort. The ego is what it is. Recognize and accept it, and control it and don't allow it to control you. Pretty much the mantra for any and all self-realization knowledge and wisdom.

These lines especially makes so much sense - Thank you. Is religious dogma the reason we're meant to feel guilty about our ego? Also, when someone makes mention to 'corrupt flesh', can you elaborate on what that means juuuust a bit more? Heard it before and I think I understand the gist of it, just want to make certain. :)
Old 27-05-2014, 02:26 PM
Master

I read somewhere yesterday there are some lessons we simply cannot learn on the spiritual plane. Humility, sadness, anger just to name a few. All are linked with the ego.

The ego is a good thing for learning these type of Earth lessons. Without it we could not learn what we need in order to transcend the darkness we are born with.

I might also say, I've heard many who say we have to control our dark side, our ego. But I don't believe that. We need to let the ego express itself so we can learn. So if we are angry we need to express the anger, not bottle it up (most say to keep from creating negative karma), stuff it down and close the lid and lock it in.

I think we both know what happens when we do that enough times! One day someone looks into the horizon and says "Thar' She Blows!", and it's not a pretty sight.

Karma be poo-pooed. We cannot keep from creating negative karma. It is a natural byproduct of living!
Old 27-05-2014, 02:39 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by linen53
I read somewhere yesterday there are some lessons we simply cannot learn on the spiritual plane. Humility, sadness, anger just to name a few. All are linked with the ego.

The ego is a good thing for learning these type of Earth lessons. Without it we could not learn what we need in order to transcend the darkness we are born with.

I might also say, I've heard many who say we have to control our dark side, our ego. But I don't believe that. We need to let the ego express itself so we can learn. So if we are angry we need to express the anger, not bottle it up (most say to keep from creating negative karma), stuff it down and close the lid and lock it in.

I think we both know what happens when we do that enough times! One day someone looks into the horizon and says "Thar' She Blows!", and it's not a pretty sight.

Karma be poo-pooed. We cannot keep from creating negative karma. It is a natural byproduct of living!

Oh my gosh, this is a wonderful response! Thanks! When you mention the consequences of repressing negative emotions - woo, that hit hard. One thing I never understood is 'accept the moment; accept what's happening within the present'. That's all fine and great. But not every moment is intended to be filled with light and joy and happiness. And when it's not, the general teachings run along the lines of 'just change what you're feeling and then accept it.'

From what I believe, negative emotions are fantastic teachers... and to suppress them (i.e. emotions the ego can generate) is to suppress potential lessons needed for our souls. Does that sound about right?
Old 27-05-2014, 02:40 PM
Master
Quote:
Is religious dogma the reason we're meant to feel guilty about our ego?
Man, we are trained to feel guilty from the moment we're born!

Don't do that, it's bad!
Believe in this or you''ll go to hell.
You, um, put on a few pounds?

As for corrupt flesh:

Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life.
Scripture teaches that the flesh is the instrument of man's inherent depravity.

You get the point.
Old 27-05-2014, 02:43 PM
Master
Hello Fleur-de-Frost.
Quote:
We are humans. We were all born onto this Earth and into this form for a higher purpose. Right? Why, then, is the ego considered an enemy?

Surpassing the ego takes us beyond the physical and into the enlightened state (if I'm not mistaken). If we were meant to dwell within the spiritual plane alone, why would we not begin and remain there? Why does the ego even exist if it does not define and sustain our experience as human beings?

The more I'm reading about the ego, the more confused I'm becoming. Intentions of suppressing it provide amazing results, I'm sure, but why strip away the form you were provided with? Surely, we're all human for individualized reasons. Wouldn't complete undoing of the ego negate those reasons?

From my understanding about the ego:

First of all, the ego, or ego-mind, is a fabrication of the mind.
This happened to most people at about the age of two years.
One of the human mind's main job is to make sense of the world the body is sensing (visual, smell, taste, feel, hearing).
However, because the brain has no nerve-ends of its own, the mind cannot sense itself.
To overcome this dilemma, the mind creates a story about the human unit it is in.
These stories are made from memories of achievements, acknowledgements, and anything that points to self validation.

Unfortunately, for the ego-story, the mind knows that the ego is not valid.
But without it, the mind will lose a sense of self, so the ego-mind will do anything to protect it from its truth of it being invalid.
So, to keep the lie alive, it is busy 24/7 in building self-esteem (ego-energy) by always seeking ways to validate itself.
Anything that steers the mind to truth of self, like being a liar, or lazy, etc. the ego panics.
As far as the ego is concerned, such truths threaten and diminishes self-esteem (humility).
Anger, anxiety, and all other fear-based (ego) emotions arise in the hope to prove differently (from the truth).

A life ruled by the ego-mind is one full of fear of its truth. To combat this, it produces such things as self-pride, denial, lies, conditional love, etc. All these point to an untrue life. An unreal life.

A life ruled by the spirit/soul-mind is one that is fearless and based on truth. The symptoms of truth include self-acceptance, awareness, unconditional love, etc. All these point to a truthful life. A real life.

The saying, 'the truth hurts', what hurts is our ego squirming.
The saying, 'The truth will set you free', what gets freed is our fears, our lost innocence, our spiritual expression of unconditional love.

I hope this has helped you in some way.
Old 27-05-2014, 02:54 PM
Master

Quote:

From what I believe, negative emotions are fantastic teachers... and to suppress them (i.e. emotions the ego can generate) is to suppress potential lessons needed for our souls. Does that sound about right?

You got it girl, high-five me!
Old 27-05-2014, 03:32 PM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by linen53
You got it girl, high-five me!

High-five!

Just found this thread, and it summarizes exactly what I'm feeling about the ego - just couldn't put into words. :)

http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/sh...ad.php?t=16726
Old 27-05-2014, 04:01 PM
Ivy

Quote:

I feel it's useful to understand how the ego is created, and perhaps to sport the minimalist look when it comes to ego

However, ego as a 'sense of self' is impossible to live without. And I would agree that life on earth is to experience life - whether there is a higher purpose other than to simply experience it, I would question.

But it is good to question, as you've done here... and of course, these are all only philosophies, not answers or definitive truths, just ideas, of which there are many different ones. So perhaps if it doesn't resonate with you at this point, it's not something that would help you. Go with the flow of where your questions take you, I say x