Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Death & The Afterlife

Old 26-09-2022, 09:57 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
Ramana Maharshi has questioned the Neti-Neti (not this, not this) removal approach and indicated that it merely confirms what you are NOT.
I wasn't talking about an "approach" but rather an end result. That was, after all, the target of the query I was replying to. Just because I responded Socratically instead of Twitter-friendly isn't a cause for assumptions.

Anyhow, that aside, the neti-neti stuff arises and does its thing of its own accord while one is practicing jnana yoga; it needs to be unequivocally ignored in deference to focus on practice. Sri Ramana's atma vichara is one technique of nirguna dhyana, the crux of jnana yoga, whereby all of those things which constitute the cherished beliefs and perceptions and attachments of the Ego will fall away due to lack of attention to them during its practice, the which must be consistent and perpetual and complete to be efficacious. And, while Sri Ramana may have said what you've stated, please understand that the depth of his words is directly commensurate to the comprehension of their hearers/readers. He said so himself!

"True Knowledge is being devoid of knowledge as well as ignorance of objects. Knowledge of objects is not true knowledge. Since the Self shines self-luminous, with nothing else for It to know, with nothing else to know It, the Self is Knowledge. Nescience It is not."
- Ulladu Narpadu, v. 12

Last edited by Wagner : 27-09-2022 at 07:10 AM.
Old 28-09-2022, 06:11 PM
Master
QUOTE 11 EXCERPT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagner
the neti-neti stuff arises and does its thing of its own accord while one is practicing jnana yoga; it needs to be unequivocally ignored in deference to focus on practice.

And, while Sri Ramana may have said what you've stated, please understand that the depth of his words is directly commensurate to the comprehension of their hearers/readers.
Please excuse my delayed response. I just haven't been frequenting this site as much as in the past. For the last few days, I've been hanging out with some meditation buddies who had requested a private audience with one of my Hindu/Sufi sage friends who, among other things, has a vivid recall of the process of her own birth process starting before conception. She no longer participates in groups or public forums but I am fortunate to be able to spend private time with her and introduce her to some of my sincere intense friends.

You obviously are very well informed on yoga theory (jnana, atma vichara, nirguna dhyana, Ramana Maharshi, Uladu Narpadu, etc.). What caught my attention most in your post, however, was your emphasis on PRACTICE. I'd be interested in hearing more about the parts of your post that you have directly experienced during your practice.

As for Ramana, his words often (not always) were NOT "directly commensurate to the comprehension of their hearers/readers" as he would often make listeners/readers come as close to his level of understanding as possible instead of coming down to their level. That's one thing that I really like about Ramana. In private one-on-one interactions, my teacher would do precisely that and it was mind-boggling as well as frustrating.... initially.
Old 02-10-2022, 07:46 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
QUOTE 11 EXCERPT:
Check that! ...whatever it means...

Quote:
Please excuse my delayed response. I just haven't been frequenting this site as much as in the past. For the last few days, I've been hanging out with some meditation buddies who had requested a private audience with one of my Hindu/Sufi sage friends who, among other things, has a vivid recall of the process of her own birth process starting before conception. She no longer participates in groups or public forums but I am fortunate to be able to spend private time with her and introduce her to some of my sincere intense friends.
Thanks for the update, 11th EXCERPT QUOTer.

Quote:
You obviously are very well informed on yoga theory (jnana, atma vichara, nirguna dhyana, Ramana Maharshi, Uladu Narpadu, etc.).
As much as you?

Quote:
What caught my attention most in your post, however, was your emphasis on PRACTICE. I'd be interested in hearing more about the parts of your post that you have directly experienced during your practice.
My words must stand solely by the virtue of their own merit, entirely independent of any crendentials of their author. You may judge my words by the fecundity of your own experience, or not; but not by mine.

Yes, Practice is most important, and its emphasis is the only meaningful purpose to any words on such matters that I could ever utter...

Beyond that, who cares what I say?

Quote:
As for Ramana, his words often (not always) were NOT "directly commensurate to the comprehension of their hearers/readers" as he would often make listeners/readers come as close to his level of understanding as possible instead of coming down to their level. That's one thing that I really like about Ramana. In private one-on-one interactions, my teacher would do precisely that and it was mind-boggling as well as frustrating.... initially.
LOL. I wasn't saying that Sri Ramana skimmed his words off at the top or watered them down. Only that personal experience is equally proportionate to the "scope" of said words.
Old 04-10-2022, 08:37 PM
Master
QUOTE 113 EXCERPT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagner

My words must stand solely by the virtue of their own merit, entirely independent of any crendentials of their author. You may judge my words by the fecundity of your own experience, or not; but not by mine.

Yes, Practice is most important, and its emphasis is the only meaningful purpose to any words on such matters that I could ever utter...

We're definitely on the same page regarding our words standing solely by the virtue of their own merit. My spiritual guide encouraged us to VALIDATE anything spoken by others via PRACTICE. I quote others on things that I have either validated through practice or am in the process of validating through practice. One of my teacher's frequent sayings was: "PRACTICE! Only then can you ask questions." She obviously was not a fan of speculative intellectualism.

Nice post.

https://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/s...&postcount=113