Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Lounge

Old 15-01-2021, 01:49 PM
Guide
Lightbulb

Ah the subsequent posts (after my initial one) serve to highlight that I experienced the late 60's with the alternative/underground hippy lifestyle! We called people that worked 'breadheads'/straight and obviously had our own conditioning mentality! Everything seemed to be either 'far out' or 'heavy' (which was one of the reasons that, much later, I did a degree course in philosophy and majoring in psychology!) We got stoned listening to the albums of the time - Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, Incredible String Band, Dylan, Cream etc. I remember lots of belly laughing sessions, good times, caring, sharing, love, gentleness and feeling like this was our time (the teenage years/generation.)

They say that if you can remember the 60s then you weren't there! A nod to the dominant drug culture of that time. I hung out with those smoking dope (never liked that name for it) and acid/LSD. The heroin addicts for the most part had their own social circle and I was never attracted to that direction.
Old 15-01-2021, 02:00 PM
Elfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busby
In London (I don't know about other places) there were Lyons Corner Houses. These were eating places all done up in the style of the chain that it then was. They offered quite a choice of really English meals. These included
Steak and Kidney Pudding - with chips. It was my favourite, I'd drool when it was on the table in front of me. So tasty and juicy - plenty of gravy. Lovely stuff!! Finish off with a cup of proper tea!!!
..... I know of the Lyons corner houses... They seemed quite posh... Seen them in dramas on TV and they have featured heavily in many of the novels I have read...
Old 15-01-2021, 02:49 PM
Master

I was 12 when Armstrong did his thing on the moon ( yes we did go to the moon ) . As its been a long time and I have had a few beers since then its a bit hazzy . I was 16 in 73 when Nixion ended the war and the draft , so yeah getting drafted was in my mind . I remember braw and draft card burning and guys splitting the country . The hippies and mini skirts . TVs that had 40 vacuum tubes . Guys that came home from Nam were falcy called baby killers . Cival rights marches in the south , anti war riots all over . Certenly an interesting time . I may remember more and post in later in this thread .
PS , These were the cold war days . People believed they could survive a nuc war. Lots of people were building nuc war bunkers. Many are still around. As a kid I keep hearing the term. Iorn curtain , I really thought there was something like shower curtain made from iron running through Europe some where.

Last edited by desert rat : 15-01-2021 at 03:32 PM.
Old 18-01-2021, 06:24 AM
Master
Very good stories Everyone, I always wondered what the 60s we're like. I love the music and cars from that time but never lived it. I grew up in the 80s and 90s. Born in 76. Like the late 60s/ early 70s hopefully we can at least get some good music out of all that's going on now. Hahah. Who knows, maybe I am stretching it.
Old 18-01-2021, 07:20 AM
Elfin

.... I too loved the music....
Old 18-01-2021, 02:50 PM
Elfin

..... And of course there are many that will never answer the question because they won't want to admit they are that old LOL...
Old 21-01-2021, 10:20 AM
Elfin

Microwave ovens LOL.... Now even though they were introduced I believe in the 60's , into households, it may have encroached slightly into the 70's when we got one. But the concept was the same.... We were all terrified of them. The way to use them was this ... Put your raw food into it, on a plate , and turn it on to required time on dial. Then run for your life and do not enter the room again until the time was up , otherwise if you stood too "close" to it , whilst it was in operation , you would also "cook" from your "insides out" and subsequently die....it was all very disturbing really..... Of course, like anything, along the way they lied ....they PROMISED that it would cook the food , but the plate would remain "cool" , so no risk of burning... I always think of that, some 50 years later , every time I burn the skin off my fingers. But on the bright side ( because there ALWAYS is one ) I have no fingerprints left , just incase the police "happen" to catch up with me......!! .......Happy days .....
Old 21-01-2021, 10:47 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfin
Microwave ovens LOL.... Now even though they were introduced I believe in the 60's , into households, it may have encroached slightly into the 70's when we got one. But the concept was the same.... We were all terrified of them. The way to use them was this ... Put your raw food into it, on a plate , and turn it on to required time on dial. Then run for your life and do not enter the room again until the time was up , otherwise if you stood too "close" to it , whilst it was in operation , you would also "cook" from your "insides out" and subsequently die....it was all very disturbing really..... Of course, like anything, along the way they lied ....they PROMISED that it would cook the food , but the plate would remain "cool" , so no risk of burning... I always think of that, some 50 years later , every time I burn the skin off my fingers. But on the bright side ( because there ALWAYS is one ) I have no fingerprints left , just incase the police "happen" to catch up with me......!! .......Happy days .....
. OMG! That made me think of my dad. Whenever anything was in the microwave he would stand and watch it like an intense movie. Never understood why. I just laughed to myself about it.
Old 21-01-2021, 10:51 AM
Elfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallow
. OMG! That made me think of my dad. Whenever anything was in the microwave he would stand and watch it like an intense movie. Never understood why. I just laughed to myself about it.
....LOL .... He was a brave man ... Stood on guard and not rushing you all off to the "Anderson" type shelter in the garden till the blinking chicken had cooked !!! Heehee.....
Old 21-01-2021, 10:53 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfin
....LOL .... He was a brave man ... Stood on guard and not rushing you all off to the "Anderson" type shelter in the garden till the blinking chicken had cooked !!! Heehee.....
Hahaha. He always walked to his own drummer.