Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 20-05-2023, 06:01 AM
Master

IAMTHAT.

You stated that my comments weren’t relevant to this discussion but I think they were because TattyH stated the following:

…….”to answer your question, emotions are responses to external stimuli”

So I put forward some examples were emotions were NOT always connected to external stimuli.
Old 20-05-2023, 06:34 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redchic12
IAMTHAT.
You stated that my comments weren’t relevant to this discussion
So I put forward some examples were emotions were NOT always connected to external stimuli.
Your comments are relevant as some know from personal experience that emotions are responses to both internal and external events.....
Old 20-05-2023, 06:40 AM
Master

Quote:
IAMTHAT.

You stated that
When talking on forums, know who your dance partner is.

One guided by intellectual comprehension will lead you down the garden path.

Enough Confucious. I rather like iamthat's posts on this forum but that's just me. I don't see him telling you what you say is irrelevant (?)
Old 20-05-2023, 10:11 AM
Pathfinder

Quote:
So I guess excitement must be an emotion.
If you consider arousal as an emotion then yes, excitement must be an emotion to your way of thinking.

It's not just what you read it's also how you process what you read.
Old 20-05-2023, 10:14 AM
Master

PixieD I’m a bit confused at what you are trying to convey here. Can you be more specific. Thanks

You also stated,………”I dont see him telling you what you say is irrelevant (?)”

Re Iamthat post #38

He stated…………”.interesting but maybe not relevant to this discussion.”

I was merely pointing out that my comments (examples) WAS relevant to the discussion and why I felt it was. I wasn’t offended by his comments. I thought perhaps he misunderstood where I was coming from. But no worries. It’s all good.

Yes I also like his posts as well.
Old 20-05-2023, 10:32 AM
Pathfinder

Quote:
You get excited because of external stimuli/events, like a forth-coming birthday party or creating the telephone from an idea you had. A forth-coming birthday party is an expected external event that you might feel excited about, creating a telephone is a hoped-for external event that you might be excited about that the idea will come to Life. They are projections of expectations/hopes of what will become external events and as far as the mind is concerned they are 'external'. Neither the birthday party nor making of a telephone is 'you' - they're external - but how you feel about the prospects of it happening is 'you'.

So if excitement is an emotion it's still in response to an external event, whether real or projected.
Old 20-05-2023, 12:08 PM
Master

TattyH. You stated in #28 …….. “emotions are responses to external stimuli”

So I provided examples of where it was not always the case. Then I told you how I felt that arousal = excitement was an emotion. And in response to that you say it’s only an emotion to MY way of thinking. I feel that is a tad insulting when in fact excitement would be universally accepted as an emotion.

But now you seem to have changed the whole script around by now stating that emotion/excitement is connected to PERCEIVED events.

So if that is where you want to take this topic (#46) I have to ask about the people who have had a dream, woke up excited about something that they had learnt/experienced in that state and had absolutely NO “hopeful“external event” in their mind at all. I have personally done this many times.

I have also experienced great fear (emotion) in a dream that is not connected to anything in the physical world as well and would never become an external event either.
Old 20-05-2023, 12:50 PM
Pathfinder

Quote:
So if that is where you want to take this topic (#46)
Frankly I don't. You said excitement was an emotion, I didn't, and that's where the confusion lies.

And it's as bad to take offence as it is to give it, as a very wise woman once said to me.
Old 20-05-2023, 01:53 PM
Master

Oh right, so if you didn’t want to take the topic of emotions being linked to hopeful external events then why did you waste five lines of comments on trying to say it does?

Yes I said excitement was an emotion and you said it was “only an emotion in my way of thinking”. Re read your comments above.

You state……..”it's as bad to take offence as it is to give it, as a very wise woman once said to me.”

Those comments say more about you than they do about me?
(And that’s coming from a very wise woman herself)
Old 20-05-2023, 02:23 PM
Pathfinder

Quote:
Oh right, so if you didn’t want to take the topic of emotions being linked to hopeful external events then why did you waste five lines of comments on trying to say it does?
That's not what I said.

Yes I did say that “excitement was only an emotion in your of thinking.” So you're going to tell me that to you excitement isn't an emotion?

You're the one that took offence, as you said -
"I feel that is a tad insulting when in fact excitement would be universally accepted as an emotion."

I am not the one taking offence.