Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Lounge

Old 22-01-2023, 09:28 AM
Pathfinder

How do you let go of time of your life wasted?

Wondering if anyone has been in the same position. I spend the last 10 years of my life trying to make it as an artist. Spend money on art classes, a college degree, did unpaid internships, a load of volunteer and underpaid work. It took its toll on my finances, career and personal life. It also screwed me up mentally, I ended up feeling worthless. This year I decided that was that. Got a day job I enjoy, pushed art into the hobby category. BUT… I find I’m bitter. I think about it quite often. About all the time spent on something that didn’t work. I find myself googling about how the art industry sucks. I enjoy drawing less. Anyone been there? With art or anything else? How do you let go or at least see it in a positive light? Thanks!

Brian
Old 22-01-2023, 11:20 AM
Master
Hi,

I spent years trying spiritual practices which did me no good at all. In the end I did learn that I was being unrealistic and this helped me choose a more realistic path. When I was young I was way too idealistic and ambitious. I ended up hurting myself. Now I know better.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 22-01-2023, 12:59 PM
Master

Re Travellseeker

Hi TravelSeeker.

Yep I get where you’re coming from because I am a artist as well as an art teacher and spent the last 25 years in the game, so I kinda know what works and what doesn’t now. (I think) lol

Yep the art world is full of bull….. and pretentious people but unlike you I have never wanted to be a part of it. You are wise not to go there but perhaps looking at some alternatives is the way forward.

Off the cuff, one day I decided to go around a few coffee shops with a couple of my paintings and Lo and behold three places put them up for me. My opening line was, “ I wonder if you would like to put some of my paintings on your wall and we can BOTH make some extra money. Then straight away, talk about what THEY are gonna get out of it. Anything that is ten percent to twenty percent is reasonable. Anything over that is just plain greedy in my book. I would advise you to keep your prices VERY LOW at first and then when they start selling you can slowly up them.

It’s a good idea to have a look around at WHAT IS IN re art/prints/colours and paint the kinda things people are wanting. I started painting in black and white ie models with big hats and red lipstick. Sold like hot cakes. Personally I didn’t like them and wouldn’t put one up on my wall but hey who’s arguing when they’re selling so fast.

I got quite a few commissions from doing that as well. I also did a mural for one of the shops that took my paintings!

I also offered to do a mural free in a coffee shop if she fed me and gave me coffee. Nah I wasn’t poor or anything, I just had an idea and wanted to see what it would look like on a wall. She was delighted and really looked after me. Then funny enough I got a commission and two new students from their customers!

Glad to see you got another job tho cos we’re art is concerned you can’t rely on an income. You and many many other people have done the same thing trying to make your art a job, so your not on your own. Don’t be bitter mate. At least you gave it a go!

I also volunteered to run a course for adults at college and for special needs people. This lead to other paying jobs and commissions. Never under estimate the power of volunteering. I would highly recommend it.

Was just thinking of something of something my ol granny used to say “ the only rich artist is a dead artist” lol

If you want you can send me a PM and I would gladly give you a few more ideas.

Hope this has been helpful.
Old 22-01-2023, 03:13 PM
Master

Re Miss H

Brilliant response Miss H and SO TRUE!!!!!!

Looking at situations from that point of view has always helped me get over a bad situation easier and quicker. It prevents bitterness from happening as well. It really does work.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn : 04-03-2023 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Sorry I deleted my post
Old 23-01-2023, 04:39 AM
Master

I know how frustrating it can be to put your heart and soul into something that doesn't quite work out as planned.
Getting established into any of the fields of art is a very difficult thing to achieve.
I would always advise to do other work concurrently to keep the wolves from the door whilst doing your main love as and when you can to build your reputation.
Among my offspring I have an actor and an artist.
The actor was quite successful . He had an agent , and appeared on TV in 3 TV shows, was a voice over on radio ads and appeared in on stage in Leeds and Manchester.
He was also a bit of a play- write .
But like anything , the work was very sparodic and he had to take a job to earn a regular income. Slowly , bit by bit the job took over a lot of his life and he met a girl, settled down , 2 children, and the bills need paying. But he has very fond memories of his acting days and still writes in his bit of spare time.
The Artist was also successful. He studied fine art at uni and went all over the world to exhibit his work and sold a few pieces.
He also spent several years in schools doing as a volunteer and worked his way to becoming a teacher at a primary school and is now a head teacher.
Again, his art has been put on the back burner for now. His plan is that later in life he plans to teach art at exam level either in a college or university so that he can pick up his own artwork again.

Try not to be too dissapointed with what you consider a "waste" with all the years and effort you put in.
Once an artist , always an artist. That will never leave you.
It may well be that you need to go slightly off course for now to do something else and your artistic talents will come into evidence again when the veered path joins the one you are currently on again...

( Now I'm just waffling... I'll shut up !..)...
I wish you well on your journey.
Old 25-01-2023, 04:27 AM
Master
I have dipped into art at periods during my life ,I get quite obsessed for a year or two then it just stops,but I always go back to it and it always improves.It kills any creativity in me if I start thinking about money,but othe people like it and I did sell some-I am hoping to start up again working with glass,improving on some work I used to do in plastics.My drawing and paintings are just doodles so don't feel like work at all,and I built up a pile that I suppose could have been sold (they all got stolen) if I had to do them to order though I couldn't ,a lady in the local market asked me to churn out some insects I was doing in plastics and offered a good price but as I started thinking about cash it killed the creativity.(I think if I build up enough work in future perhaps could sell them on the net)
Old 25-01-2023, 08:34 AM
Master

Re Podshell

Hey Podshell when you’re creating something, instead of thinking about the cash, think about the joy and happiness you are giving to the person who wants to buy your product. Their whole day has become brighter because of your artwork that they bought.

Consider people ALWAYS want to give back to someone who has given them something and the only way they can do that is by giving you money. It kinda makes them feel much better.

I feel you have a wonderful gift of creativity so don’t let the money side of things prevent you from giving that gift to others.

Alternatively you could give half the money to a charity of your choice and then use the other half to buy materials.

Just a thought.
Old 25-01-2023, 08:56 AM
Master
Nothing is wasted, everything happens for a reason even though we can't always immediately see nor understand the reason.Past actions are a tailwind propelling you forward to where you are today...Imo only
Old 25-01-2023, 06:51 PM
Master
How and why do we judge something to be a waste of time?

Sometimes I may think I waste or have wasted time, sometimes by my own standards (which is useful), sometimes by other standards (which is useless). I end up doing things because it's what I want, I can't know all the ins and outs of the outcome beforehand.
Old 25-01-2023, 11:50 PM
Master
Thanks Redchic,yes I like thd art giving others pleasure and that spurs me on,I have to put money ideas out of mind though as I start getting agitated.