Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Mediumship

Closed Thread

Old 21-10-2021, 06:48 PM
Deactivated Account
I'm comfortable admitting I'm not a historian and I sure wasn't around at the time of the pioneers to see what they actually did. But if they served the spirit for the benefit of others then they were mediums and their attributes were indeed latent if they had not been evident before.

Although I have no detailed historical knowledge my rough appreciation of what happened in those distant days would lead me to hazard the guess that some would have had the potential to be philosophical/teaching mediums.

Others likely emerged as evidential mediums, individuals able to communicate with spirits to provide evidence of their identity hence their survival of death. I apologise to historians who know all that in detail.

Where phenomena occurred without evidence of what was causing them and where no-one benefited other than the individuals involved, then it wasn't mediumship. They might, of course, have demonstrated it on other occasions though.
Old 21-10-2021, 07:49 PM
Master
It seems you are saying the Fox Mother and sister were not Mediums in 1848 even though every account I have read claim they became Mediums as rapping Mediums.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 22-10-2021, 11:47 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
It seems you are saying the Fox Mother and sister were not Mediums in 1848 even though every account I have read claim they became Mediums as rapping Mediums.
When I expressed my thoughts I didn't mention names or refer to individuals.
How could anyone be so mistaken?
Old 22-10-2021, 03:44 PM
Master
'History' claims they became rapping Mediums back in 1848, whereas you claimed if "no-one benefited other than the individuals involved, then it wasn't mediumship". In 1851, Isaac Post claimed to be a Medium and wrote a book about his Mediumship, but 'nobody benefited from his Mediumship'.

The National Spiritualist Association of Churches does not seem to claim it has to benefit anybody. Spiritism seems to make the same claim. So when did that 'rule' get implemented and by who?

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 22-10-2021, 04:33 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
'History' claims they became rapping Mediums back in 1848, whereas you claimed if "no-one benefited other than the individuals involved, then it wasn't mediumship". In 1851, Isaac Post claimed to be a Medium and wrote a book about his Mediumship, but 'nobody benefited from his Mediumship'.

The National Spiritualist Association of Churches does not seem to claim it has to benefit anybody.

You're the guy skilled at looking-up details. I'm sure you will find what you're looking for. blessings
Old 22-10-2021, 06:57 PM
Experiencer
I never wanted it

From a very early age i saw things lights wizzing round the bedroom while my brother was fast asleep and i could not wake him, to young people appearing and talking to me i never wanted it. the highier beings i suppose you would call them light beings told me i would see such things and that i would not be able to cope with it this is true i almost ended up in a nut house when i was young person that did not happen till my forties and still saw them as plain as day in the hospital even though at the time the old victorian ward was locked up for the night because i was afraid to go to bed at night i wondered how these people got out but in my dis jonted state i only had so much mental enegy then i would get very tired because you more susceptable when you been asleep and just awoken nobody to turn to confide in i just wanted to be like everybody else it just amazes me how many people think its the end when they die but thats just your physical side it serves it purpose then you move on
Old 22-10-2021, 07:34 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by briam
From a very early age i saw things lights wizzing round the bedroom while my brother was fast as......ust amazes me how many people think its the end when they die but thats just your physical side it serves it purpose then you move on

I'm really sorry to hear about the bad time your psychic awareness caused you most of your life. It's very late but never too late to learn how to deal with your unwanted visitors from someone who is experienced at that. I don't know if you're in the UK but help should be available if you are.
Old 22-10-2021, 07:35 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjob
You're the guy skilled at looking-up details. I'm sure you will find what you're looking for. blessings

I suspect the 'definition' of what a 'Medium' is, was changed, for some, shortly after Modern Day Spiritualism began but not everybody went along with the more restrictive 'definitions'. At first, there does not seem to have been any clear cut definitions. It appears everyone knew A medium was one who spoke with Spirit. As I have mentioned, some today hold to that belief, but there others who don't. Being the Fox Mother and sisters seemed to have played a major focal point in those who believe in Mediumship, I thought it would be interesting to see what Mediumship was all about back then in circa 1848.

As I have indicated before, I suspect a lot of people on SpiritualForums are Mediums......

Old 22-10-2021, 07:53 PM
Deactivated Account
not needed

Even though you're not a Spiritualist you have a deep personal interest in Spiritualism's history. But other than to historians I am not persuaded the events in those far distant times have all that much relevance to the present.

As I pointed out elsewhere, mediumship doesn't need any involvement in Spiritualism anyway and doesn't need any knowledge of the activities and values of its pioneers.

And mediums don't need a scrap of interest or involvement with either historical or modern-day Spiritualism to be able to serve the spirit.
Old 22-10-2021, 08:04 PM
Deactivated Account
I can't see any way to assess how many members on Spiritual Forums are mediums or have the potential to develop further and perhaps become mediums. I can, though, see some individuals whose postings indicate they have psychic sensitivity/awareness.

I hope the discussions here have given anyone wondering about her/his attributes a few points to consider and look into.

Blessings on all who seek to serve the spirit.
Closed Thread