Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 31-07-2021, 01:14 AM
Master
What was the name of the God for the Northern Kingdom of Israel?

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 31-07-2021, 01:29 AM
Master
Wikipedia claims "In the Hebrew Bible, elohim (Hebrew: אֱלֹהִים‎ [(ʔ)eloˈ(h)im]) usually refers to a single deity, particularly (but not always) the God of Israel."

You can find this here :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elohim

I claim the name has many meaning which I have expressed this numerous times.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 31-07-2021, 02:15 AM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
As you can see, there are slight variations in the spelling of each word. I suspect your transaltion of the Bible is based on the Masoretic Text. If I am right, why doesn't your translation speak of those variations?

Those aren't variations in spelling, they're pronunciation marks. As I've said repeatedly on this forum, religious traditions aren't really in the realm of my interests, so, I'll leave any further research on the subject to you and maybe you can get back with me, but just off the top of my head (take this with a grain of salt, as they say) anecdotally, the verses you gave ought to cause you little problem in researching because I think those are familiar marks. But at places you might look at: Genesis 16:5; 18:9; 19:33; 33:4; 37:12; Numbers 3:39; 9:10; 21:30; 29:15; Deuteronomy 29:29; 2 Samuel 19:19; Psalm 27:13; Isaiah 44:9; Ezekiel 41:20; 46:22 are anomalies. There is considerable dispute over what those marks indicate.

Regarding those marks, The Kingdom Interlinear Translation, pp. 320, 321, says: “It will thus be seen that the points were regarded by the ancient authorities as marking the letters and words in question as spurious and that the Prophet Elias [Elijah], who is to solve all doubts and difficulties, will give his decision on them when he appears. The practice of using dots to stigmatize words as spurious was not restricted to those days. Later scribes continued the example of the ancient Sopherim, as may be seen by the student of Hebrew MSS.”
Old 31-07-2021, 02:21 AM
Knower
Quote:
Look at the example I previously mentioned. Everything is provided so a person can pronounce the word.

Here is the first example I provided: from Genesis 2:9 יְהוָ֤ה

If you noticed, niqquds, cantillations, d'geshims, etc. are provided so the word can be pronounced.

Yes, but how is that significant? Who added those and how do you interpret them? You know, just because a Hebrew school of thought prescribes some import there doesn't mean that it is authoritative by any measure outside the parameters of that particular school of thought.
Old 31-07-2021, 02:29 AM
Knower
Quote:
Wikipedia claims "In the Hebrew Bible, elohim (Hebrew: אֱלֹהִים‎ [(ʔ)eloˈ(h)im]) usually refers to a single deity, particularly (but not always) the God of Israel."

You can find this here :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elohim

I claim the name has many meaning which I have expressed this numerous times.

Okay. I'm not getting through to you and you aren't explaining to me why you've come to that conclusion. Honestly, to me it seems that you just have a superstitious traditional sort of take on one of the Hebrew words for god(s). It isn't a proper name, it's an appellative name or title.

I've told you repeatedly that it is a word that applies to any god(s). You're arguing my point by using my point in your example. That's confusing.

Let's try this. Forget about elohim for a minute and tell me what you think of any of the other words for god I gave you in some other thread not so long ago. El. Or Elim. (Geneis 14:18; Exodus 15:11) Or perhaps El Gibbohr or El Shaddai (Isaiah 9:6; Genesis 17:1. Just for fun.
Old 31-07-2021, 02:33 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHenson
Yes, but how is that significant? Who added those and how do you interpret them? You know, just because a Hebrew school of thought prescribes some import there doesn't mean that it is authoritative by any measure outside the parameters of that particular school of thought.

How significant?
If you look at the source for your Bible, the Hebrew part, uses what I wrote.
The translators of your Bible used that very same 'authority'.

If you look at other Bibles, they seem to be consistent in using the same text for the Hebrew scriptures.

Now, the New Testament is different. The last time I looked, there were at least 5 different texts used for translating the Greek. I have had at one time or another, almost all of them if not all of them.

Old 31-07-2021, 02:36 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHenson

EXCERPT

Okay. I'm not getting through to you and you aren't explaining to me why you've come to that conclusion. Honestly, to me it seems that you just have a superstitious traditional sort of take on one of the Hebrew words for god(s).

I guess those sources I quoted...... they were wrong also. Are they also superstitious also?

Old 31-07-2021, 03:08 AM
Knower
Quote:
What was the name of the God for the Northern Kingdom of Israel?

The same as the Southern Kingdom.
Old 31-07-2021, 03:10 AM
Knower
Quote:
I guess those sources I quoted...... they were wrong also. Are they also superstitious also?

I don't know if they are superstitious, but I do know that one of them was wrong and the other was misunderstood by you. Anyway, I'm not impressed by who says a thing but rather what was said. I don't care if Wikipedia, the Jerusalem Bible or Sponge Bob Square Pants said it, the question is does it hold water or is it full of holes?
Old 31-07-2021, 03:17 AM
Master
Maybe it is full of holes........

But then, how many people have looked at the source text used for the Old Testament? Virtually all Bibles are based on that one singular text. What I wrote about the word that sounds something like Yahweh is found in the source material for virtually all Bibles.

Having said that, that text does show how the name would be said. Strange, almost nobody uses that name. One person, erroneously claimed, that maybe the name sounding like Yahweh, was the God depicted by Paul as an "Unknown God".