Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 10-07-2023, 07:27 PM
Molearner

Which version do you like ?

The 4 Gospels can give differing accounts of the same story….either adding details or omitting details. In contrast the OT does not usually have different books reporting the same story. Therefore the Gospels can present a challenge. How do we understand or interpret what seem to be discrepancies ?

One such story that is of interest to me involves the crucifixion story. The Matthew and Mark versions have both of the criminals that were being crucified alongside of Jesus as both mocking him. The Luke version, however, has only one mocking Jesus. Luke 23:40…”But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence ? We are punished justly, for we are getting what we deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”

Of course, assuming we have a choice I prefer the Luke version. Furthermore v. 43 has Jesus promising that criminal…”today you will be with me in paradise”. A number of things to unpack here….first the criminal uttering ‘God’…..and then this being an example of repentance and forgiveness.

Finally it reminds me of Peter answering the question of Jesus….who do you say that I am ? Peter identified Jesus as the Christ, the Son of the living God. Jesus then noted that man had not revealed this to Peter but that it had been by the Father of Christ in heaven…..Matthew 16:13-20.

I like to think that the criminal’ answer was also given by revelation from God…..any thoughts ?
Old 11-07-2023, 01:45 AM
Master
To be honest I do not know the Bible very well. Either the OT or the NT. I pick up bits here and there but have never read through the whole thing.

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 11-07-2023, 06:54 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
The 4 Gospels can give differing accounts of the same story…. How do we understand or interpret what seem to be discrepancies ?
By understanding ' Chinese Whispers '
Old 11-07-2023, 07:02 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
To be honest I do not know the Bible very well. Either the OT or the NT. I pick up bits here and there but have never read through the whole thing.

I know the NT more than the OT through it being spoon fed to us at School. Thankfully as an adult I can choose which parts are of value to me personally and the rest I can leave behind for others....
The Gospel of John is my favourite.... love it
Old 11-07-2023, 08:45 AM
Master

I like my own version .
Old 11-07-2023, 08:48 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBlue
I like my own version .

Now that would be a bestseller, I'd definitely read it
Old 11-07-2023, 08:52 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky
Now that would be a bestseller, I'd definitely read it
BABE , believe it !!!
Old 12-07-2023, 08:22 PM
Master

Here's a few simple gospel differences.

How many at the tomb?

Mark - three
Matthew - two
Luke - more than three
John - four

The supernatural beings who appeared at or in the tomb:

Mark - a young man
Matthew - one angel
Luke - two men
John - two angels
Old 12-07-2023, 08:33 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
How do we understand or interpret what seem to be discrepancies ?

I think the four gospels were written by four different people who were all unique individuals with their own biases, opinions, beliefs etc. I would think all were early Christians, but no two Christians are exactly the same as the many different Christian denominations and Churches today show.

Some believe the bible is literally the word of God and I think to them, any discrepancies were intended to be there by God.

Last edited by Maisy : 13-07-2023 at 03:44 AM.
Old 13-07-2023, 06:39 AM
Master
The story of the storytellers.

The Bible was written over the course of almost a century after the death of Jesus, the 'Four Gospels' of the New Testament, though they tell the same story they reflect very different ideas which is normal when different people try to describe the same event...
Chinese Whispers.....