Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Philosophy & Theory

Closed Thread

Old 25-03-2007, 01:28 AM
Deactivated Account
[quote=angelicious]I've been going over this in thought, for me certain words seem to resonate more harmoniously than its equivalent. A good, and relavent example that I'll use relates to a SpiritualForums rule, which is "Opinions need to be labeled as such, ......" So, to comply with this rule, one might usually say, "It's my opinion....", or abbreviate, "Imo...."

The word that I want to put focus on here is "opinion."

[size=3][color=darkorchid]It is my preference however, use a different word that is equivalent in meaning like, view, notion, theory, belief, and assessment among others[i].
?????????????but angelicious any one of those words is acceptable or am i missing the point somewhere
Old 25-03-2007, 01:29 AM
Deactivated Account
i'm also very poor at editing quotes lol
Old 25-03-2007, 01:32 AM
Creator

I like your style Angelicious........ your posts make me smile !!

Creator
Old 25-03-2007, 02:24 AM
angelicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy
?????????????but angelicious any one of those words is acceptable or am i missing the point somewhere

Yeah Daisy any one of those words can be used in place of each other. So, in relation to my theory on semantics, which particular definition or word would you use (presuming you wouldn't use all of them at the same time,lol) to convey the same meaning that each word possesses?
And knowing that no matter which word you choose, it would create/have the same meaning in this example.

There's no right way or wrong way to convey words when discussing theories about language and philosophy relating to words. It's a neutral discussion on words.

I give "points of view" and they are not based on solid fact, why? Because it's an opinion, view, notion, theory, belief, assessment, etc." and are stated as such. 'Stone the crows' for the sake of repeating myself....in other words of course, lol.
Old 25-03-2007, 02:44 AM
Master

Here is an excellent example of putting semantics to use.
Old 25-03-2007, 02:49 AM
angelicious

Hi Creator,
And thank you. Your post "means" a lot. It says to me - you're getting a positive "vibe" or could it be "meaning" from what I say through the "words" or "language" I chose to "communicate" here now......Welcome to the "Semantics" thread!!! lol. That's just my interpretation. Ummm, I could be wrong (my nassicism tells me otherwise, lol).

(P.S. I absolutely love your avatar. It's got the same blue (cobolt) colour tones as my avatar and gives me the same energy as my avatar, which is of an angelicious painting called, Pillars of Divinity.)

Last edited by angelicious : 25-03-2007 at 04:19 AM.
Old 25-03-2007, 03:02 AM
angelicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris
Here is an excellent example of putting semantics to use.

Hi kris, I clicked on "semantics" and got linked to a site & didn't know where to go. Can you give an excellent example in here, of putting semantics to use?
Old 25-03-2007, 03:41 AM
angelicious

Here is a link I found while researching "semantics" and I found it easy to understand. The author uses this example: "I can't untie that knot with one hand." And then proceeds to investigate & interpret it's meaning, rather philosophically.

http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~rthomaso/...semantics.html

Last edited by angelicious : 25-03-2007 at 04:13 AM.
Old 25-03-2007, 04:20 AM
tiltjlp

angelicious,

Sorry if you felt I hijacked the thread with my reply to your earlier post. That wasn't my intent. But since preaching is such a problem, I thought it was a good time to make a point.

John
Old 25-03-2007, 04:48 AM
angelicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltjlp
Sorry if you felt I hijacked the thread with my reply to your earlier post. That wasn't my intent. But since preaching is such a problem, I thought it was a good time to make a point.

Cool, lol, hijacked you say?

Just as long as you're not expecting a ransom in return for the thread, smiles. Anyway, I hijacked the "semantics" thread from 'Arrow' by the look of things. All aside, I think we're back on topic now, aye.

P.S. Did you check out the link in post #18? It rocks!

Last edited by angelicious : 25-03-2007 at 05:23 AM.
Closed Thread