Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Health

Old 11-04-2019, 03:43 PM
Guide

Health Wake Up Calls

I wasn't sure what to title this thread because I want to talk about a few things I was enlightened to just yesterday when I took my husband to a Functional Medicine Doctor for the first time for his stubborn psoriasis.

I've always been into alternative therapies and I'm pretty health conscious myself but after listening to this doctor for about two hours yesterday my jaw is still on the floor. Needless to say he talked about diet. He recommended an anti inflammatory diet which eliminates all grains (even "health foods" like quinoa), all dairy, processed foods of all kinds, "night shades" such as tomatoes and eggplant, along with tropical fruits such as banana and pineapple. Basically he can eat vegetables, most fruits, and grass fed antibiotic free meats. I was surprised to find the definition of anti inflammatory diets varies so much when I googled recipe ideas on the Internet. Many websites included starchy potatoes and tomatoes and many other things that were on his list of foods NOT to eat. This is going to be challenging.

In this day in age, would you say we should all be avoiding grains whether or not the label says non-gmo or organic? I know there's also strong opinions on eating meat here too, but wouldn't you think if someone has leaky gut syndrome then animal proteins would be hard to digest as well? What's safe anymore? Before anyone replies with super strong opinions on this I will say I personally believe each individual has unique dietary needs and what works well for one may not work for another...but geez..what is safe anymore? Water? Air? Not even!

In addition, this doctor recommended a series of detox treatments which include a foot bath hooked up to a frequency machine and a PEMF mat which he draped over a chair for clients to sit in.

The doctor had me test out the PEMF mat and the instant he turned it on I felt a spasm in my adrenal gland and the base of my tail bone which are two major weak spots on me. Ok now he really has my attention...but after researching PEMF a bit I'm wondering if there is positive EMF and negative EMF like the kind produced by wifi and cell phones. I'm no scientist but please, if someone knows enlighten me.

Of course the doctor recommended supplements and further genetic testing as well as other tests that can be done at home to check for yeast overgrowth, etc. Then he dropped the bomb on the cost of a six month package for follow up visits and detox treatments...$5,400. Oh wow...

After this two hour long initial visit being bombarded by a wealth of eye opening information on how the body and cells work, I was left mind blown to say the least but I also realized the doctor was missing a huge key piece that really has me thinking: what about the emotional/mental component?

So if every health issue has an underlying emotional root cause, why is he only addressing the issues on a physical level? There's so many factors to take into consideration when looking at the big picture of health, and sure genetics and predisposition to certain things plays a role...but if a person was to put all their efforts into creating optimal physical health through diet, detox, exercise etc. without addressing their emotional/mental/spiritual health then wouldn't you say the results will be limited or even short lived?

I realize this post is a bit of a rant, but if the topic interests you I'd love to hear your comments.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:07 PM
Master
P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
I wasn't sure what to title this thread because I want to talk about a few things I was enlightened to just yesterday when I took my husband to a Functional Medicine Doctor for the first time for his stubborn psoriasis.

I've always been into alternative therapies and I'm pretty health conscious myself but after listening to this doctor for about two hours yesterday my jaw is still on the floor. Needless to say he talked about diet. He recommended an anti inflammatory diet which eliminates all grains (even "health foods" like quinoa), all dairy, processed foods of all kinds, "night shades" such as tomatoes and eggplant, along with tropical fruits such as banana and pineapple. Basically he can eat vegetables, most fruits, and grass fed antibiotic free meats. I was surprised to find the definition of anti inflammatory diets varies so much when I googled recipe ideas on the Internet. Many websites included starchy potatoes and tomatoes and many other things that were on his list of foods NOT to eat. This is going to be challenging.

In this day in age, would you say we should all be avoiding grains whether or not the label says non-gmo or organic? I know there's also strong opinions on eating meat here too, but wouldn't you think if someone has leaky gut syndrome then animal proteins would be hard to digest as well? What's safe anymore? Before anyone replies with super strong opinions on this I will say I personally believe each individual has unique dietary needs and what works well for one may not work for another...but geez..what is safe anymore? Water? Air? Not even!

In addition, this doctor recommended a series of detox treatments which include a foot bath hooked up to a frequency machine and a PEMF mat which he draped over a chair for clients to sit in.

The doctor had me test out the PEMF mat and the instant he turned it on I felt a spasm in my adrenal gland and the base of my tail bone which are two major weak spots on me. Ok now he really has my attention...but after researching PEMF a bit I'm wondering if there is positive EMF and negative EMF like the kind produced by wifi and cell phones. I'm no scientist but please, if someone knows enlighten me.

Of course the doctor recommended supplements and further genetic testing as well as other tests that can be done at home to check for yeast overgrowth, etc. Then he dropped the bomb on the cost of a six month package for follow up visits and detox treatments...$5,400. Oh wow...

After this two hour long initial visit being bombarded by a wealth of eye opening information on how the body and cells work, I was left mind blown to say the least but I also realized the doctor was missing a huge key piece that really has me thinking: what about the emotional/mental component?

So if every health issue has an underlying emotional root cause, why is he only addressing the issues on a physical level? There's so many factors to take into consideration when looking at the big picture of health, and sure genetics and predisposition to certain things plays a role...but if a person was to put all their efforts into creating optimal physical health through diet, detox, exercise etc. without addressing their emotional/mental/spiritual health then wouldn't you say the results will be limited or even short lived?

I realize this post is a bit of a rant, but if the topic interests you I'd love to hear your comments.

Just from my own past experience. Having a medically complex kiddo, now adult (he has to genetic anomalies). We tried and/or looked into practically everything. Diet, massage therapy, colloidal silver, oregano, Nettie pots, chiropractic, Chinese herbs, PT, OT, clap therapy, HGH, homeopathy, herbal medicine, traditional medicine, many, many different things.

On a friend’s recommendation, we even had a complex study done involving diet, supplements, it ran the full spectrum of popular suggestions at the time. It was supposed to be full body, integrating body and mind. The report was pages long. The therapies were extensive. Our initial reaction was wow. But then we looked into each individual suggestion. We did a “gut” check. We set with it for a good long while. It felt like a shotgun approach, (Throw out every popular idea and then one of them is bound to work.) Keep in mind, he is complex. They would try to solve everything, “cure” him. In the end, the doctor never called for follow-up appointments and we never went back.

For us, it also came down to our intuition, the priority of the moment, along with how much time, energy and money.

Good Luck out there!
Old 11-04-2019, 09:14 PM
Guide

Thanks for your perspective friend! Agreed, there is so much to take into consideration when trying to nail down the root cause of any disease, disorder, ailment etc. Theres a multi pronged approach that involves more than supplements, blood test results, diet and detoxing. It's a complete lifestyle change and so much to consider, especially the out of pocket costs for all of these alternative treatments.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:35 AM
Seeker

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky

Wow...you have touched upon so many important aspects of what I consider to all fall under the umbrella term of "wellness". First, I would say Congrats to you for taking it upon yourself to be in control of your health. It's good to see someone else who questions doctors. I think this is one of the biggest problems with modern health care, at least in the US. People all to often just go to the doc and do what s.he says. And even the "natural medicine" proponents fall into the same trap. Taking control and responsibility for one's own health is so empowering (to use yet another "in" word.) If something doesn't seem right, don't do it! I would be very wary of some of the things you were describing and I would walk away from the $5400 tab for sure!

YES! The whole picture has to be addressed, not just the ache or pain that drove one to the doctor in the first place. "Western medicine" falls woefully short on this point. In an effort to remain scientific (rational, objective, measurable, repeatable) it often isolates things so much that its results become meaningless. Add to that layers of profit-seeking from businesses and the media and you get a really distorted message about what is healthy. Does anyone remember the lowfat craze of the 90s? Wow...how much damage did we do to our bodies back then as we stuffed fat-free (and sugar-laden) cookies down our throats.

YES! Anti-inflammatory is not well-defined at all. What causes inflammation in one person may not in another. And does a certain food cause inflammation because of something else going on in the body? Or is it just an "evil nightshade?"

YES! The spiritual, mental, emotional aspects are just as important as food, maybe even more so. And sadly, western medicine doesn't really ever look at those things other than when the doctor asks "are you stressed out at work?"

I hope you and your husband find answers to the health issues. It may not be an easy road, but I think with your kind of questioning you are likely to find answers for what works for you. I don't think the answers are the same for everyone, so when a doctor seems to be making blanket recommendations ("No dairy! No bananas!") without taking your unique situation into consideration, it's time to find a different health path.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:33 AM
Master

Well, you may think what you like about this and all the explanations but it's quite remarkable that the wounds healed up almost immediately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPt1S8AuMHA

The mind has great powers and doctors should be careful what they say and you should be careful what you believe.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:04 PM
Guide

Petey...thanks for your reply.
I am discerning and while I do see some of the doctors recommendations as valid, the twice weekly detox sessions scare me a bit. I think it's too aggressive to overhaul the body that quickly. Also in order for this entire protocol to work it involves a lifestyle change the client has to be willing to adapt to. If the emotional and mental aspects aren't on board then I don't see all these things working so well.

Busby...
I couldn't bear to watch that video !