Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 16-09-2022, 02:10 PM
Master

If pride is the gravest sin

If pride is the gravest sin is humility, then, the greatest virtue ?
Old 16-09-2022, 03:02 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
If pride is the gravest sin is humility, then, the greatest virtue ?

Why is pride seen as the gravest sin
Old 16-09-2022, 04:30 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky
Why is pride seen as the gravest sin

It is the logical conclusion drawn from the Bible by believing Christians….the verses and rational are quite easy to provide……:)
Old 16-09-2022, 05:58 PM
Master
Quote:
It is the logical conclusion drawn from the Bible by believing Christians….the verses and rational are quite easy to provide……:)

The Bible was written a longggggggg time ago when the population had no knowledge of Mental Health being as important as Physical Health. Pride comes in variations and I personally find it can be both healthy and unhealthy, it depends on how you use it so I do not agree that it's a sin. Hubris is another story
Btw not all Christians think pride is sinful....
Old 16-09-2022, 06:21 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky
Btw not all Christians think pride is sinful....
Not all Christians are Christians…..but all have the potential to learn…..:)
Old 16-09-2022, 06:31 PM
Master
Quote:
Not all Christians are Christians…..but all have the potential to learn…..:)
Did that perception come from pride . Are the ' Christians ' who say they are proud to be a Christian commiting a grevious sin ?
Old 16-09-2022, 06:38 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky
Did that perception come from pride
It comes from observation. This particular forum routinely has postings about the hypocrisy of ‘Christian’s’. If you wish to present pride as a virtue it would be beneficial if you posted the relevant scriptures…..
Old 16-09-2022, 08:27 PM
Master
Quote:
It comes from observation. This particular forum routinely has postings about the hypocrisy of ‘Christian’s’. If you wish to present pride as a virtue it would be beneficial if you posted the relevant scriptures…..

Did the Apostle Paul commit a grevious sin when He said ,
"I have spoken to you with great frankness; I take great pride in you. I am greatly encouraged; in all our troubles my joy knows no bounds."
2 Corinthians 7:4.

As I said previously many Christians say they are proud to be Christian, surely those words cannot be a 'sin'....
Old 16-09-2022, 08:41 PM
Master

And now for a few verses about God’s opinion of pride……while wait for any Scripture that speaks of God’s admiration for pride…..:)

James 4:6….”God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” If God stands in opposition to anyone they are without relationship with God. To have grace is a blessing. Each of the Beatitudes come with a blessing which is a grace of God. If this scripture is true the proud are left without blessing.

Can there be a better example in the Bible in the difference between pride and humility than this: the Pharisee and the tax collector ? Luke 18:9-14. Verse 14 concludes: “For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

Finally Malachi 3:13-18 tells that the names of the humble will be entered in a book of remembrance and will be spared. These shared scriptures are only a few of the many, many more that constitute God’s thoughts on pride.
Old 16-09-2022, 09:17 PM
Master

A few more thoughts……I have consciously worked for some years to remove ‘pride’ from my vocabulary. It can nearly always be replaced by ‘grateful’. Without saying it pride has the implication of comparison and, thus, judgement. If I am proud of my family or the business I have established it is in relation to the obvious misfortune of others. It is certainly obvious in the story of the Pharisee and the tax collector. Maybe singing the Doxology for a lifetime caused the lyrics….”Praise God from whom all blessings flow” to have a genuine effect on me…..?….:)