Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Love & Relationships -Friends and Family

Old 25-08-2022, 04:45 PM
asearcher

fashion question

i kinda like the 70's and the hippie look although today it goes under other terms but still and i am thinking hey it is kinda back in fashion at least for the women.

still it is as if it is not allowed, encouraged to wear at certain events?

same goes with wearing stones or stone like or shell in jewelry? instead of "plain" gold or silver or pearls?

Am I wrong or right? What is your experience of it?

I sort of like to leave a personal touch to who ever I am trying to help get ready for the event or me myself going and it still feel to me as if it is too rigid at times, too stiff up-style that is the one and only allowed style? I understand the concept if asked to wear a color that is not too bright or too many patterns to it, not to stand out too much if it is that kind of an event though.

it is as if it is encouraged during summer time, beach parties etc, but not in those particular stiff-up rooms??
Old 25-08-2022, 08:23 PM
Administrator
I don't follow the Fashion I wear what I want.
I have a few of the hippy style skirts I love them they are so comfortable.
As for jewellery you wont catch me wearing gold I hate it,
I am all for silver. I like white gold though.
Pearls are another thing you wont catch me wearing .

Namaste
Old 25-08-2022, 08:45 PM
Master
I don't care for fashion, never did, never will.
Generally speaking I wear what I want to wear, what I feel comfy in and in the mood for at the time.
That goes for jewellery as well. I never wear gold, don't like it, only silver. As for the rest it's leather bracelet with clicks on it, wrap around bracelet with a rhodochrosite in the middle, silver bracelet(s), etc. etc.
I do have a faux pearl necklace, I do love that, but depends on the rest of my outfit.

I'm 56 now, but when I go out I sometimes wear short tight skirts with tights -sometimes fishnet tights- and overknees with boots or overknee boots.
Other times it's tight jeans with a fancy top.
But I've also worn pagan / priestess dresses for other occasions. LOVE that just the same, it's also entirely 'me'!

Hippie style stuff I can also appreciate but not typical 70s style with bell bottoms, platform shoes, and the like, ugghh...
Not too keen on 70s fashion myself, I'm more into 80s fashion. Dutch 80s fashion that is, from what I've seen US 80s fashion was horrible, hihi.
I don't think what I like is hippie style btw, I hate psychedelic patterns and flower prints. I think what I fancy is more gypsy style. THAT I do like!! But I also like burlesque outfits!

In any case, I pretty much wear what I like, although if a posh party I wouldn't for instance wear my faux leather tight skirt with overknees. And when it's a funeral I also dress accordingly, but still 'me'.
Since there's so much I like and that looks good on me, I never have a problem really.
Old 25-08-2022, 08:48 PM
Master
Oh, and as for fitting in or standing out, that hinges on my mood and what I want.
Sometimes I feel like standing out and feel great. Then I do dress up and depending on weather wear my faux leather bright red jacket.
I would not wear that when not feeling so great. Basically I decide whether I want to stand out or not.
Old 25-08-2022, 11:15 PM
Ascender

The fashion of the 70s was called 'Bohemian' and then 'hippy'. Wear what you want if it makes you happy. Make your own style. I think a lot of the bohemian fashion is being recycled as 'cottage core' too. I grew up in the 70s. To me there were a lot of gosh awful fashion trends. The bell bottoms hip hugger jeans. Hated them then and hated them when they recycled around again. Polyester everything. Who thought THAT was a good idea? Earth shoes. Funky looking and really didn't help your posture or gait. One piece pantsuits. They recycle around every once and again and the suckers who buy them realise that they have to get completely undressed just to go to the bathrooms and then, I guess the sales plummet because you don't see them around for very long at all. lol.

I say embrace your inner 3 year old.

Last edited by Traveler : 26-08-2022 at 01:33 AM.
Old 26-08-2022, 04:24 AM
asearcher

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing, interesting to read of your opinion and taste :)

yes bohemian was the word I was looking for, and now cottage core, Traveler, thank you.

I agree lots of fashion hick ups too in the 1970's, LOL, you got to pick out some that were not though.

It's just this something that has hit me over the years as I am being asked to help and usually I am good at it but I can only push the envelope so much if I know it is a particular type of event and they won't get away with it and they can be nervous too and just want to fit in. Usually what helps then is to give them or me for that matter that personal touch, but then I can't do that either...it sucks, LOL. Well well I guess I gotta focus on all the rooms, occasions you can wear it instead of moping in the few room you can't. All about perspective.

Maybe in time. One has to take the first step though.

Again really interested and good points & advice you all made, and funny too :)
Old 26-08-2022, 07:25 PM
Master
My favorite fashion is "Southern Hillbilly"....LOL!

Maybe we're all here because we ain't all there????

If you're lucky enough to have been born in TEXAS....you're lucky enough!
Old 26-08-2022, 08:10 PM
Master
I had to Google bohemian fashion as I don't know any names. I was just a young kiddie in the 70s.
What comes up is called Boho Chic or Boho style as being Bohemian.
I like that a lot but not everything of it would suit me in spite of me liking it. Certainly not the long dresses. I don't often wear dresses.
But many of the prints, fabric, and the style itself I totally love!

The polyesther stuff I do recall. I had a top for my parents' anniversary party that was cream polyesther. It had 3/4 length sleeves that were wide at the end. THAT I also love as it feels so incredibly feminine!
I even bought a similar black top when 36. Also synthetic, also flowing sleeves at the end.
I still wear that at times, not at home, but when I go out to the pub and feel like it.

But in general, for day to day wear, I want cotton.
Old 26-08-2022, 10:15 PM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyCrystal
The polyesther stuff I do recall. I had a top for my parents' anniversary party that was cream polyesther. It had 3/4 length sleeves that were wide at the end. THAT I also love as it feels so incredibly feminine!

But in general, for day to day wear, I want cotton.

I remember being sweaty and uncomfortable in my polyester skirt, and pullover long sleeved shirt that I wore to school during the Spring when it was getting warmer. They were wrinkle free and looked lovely but felt like I was wearing plastic bags. Did not breathe. So hot! They coulda put a percentage of cotton in the fabric to make it breathe. They eventually did. You don't see 100% polyester anything much any more.
Old 26-08-2022, 11:36 PM
Bambo

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native spirit
I don't follow the Fashion I wear what I want.
Yup same with me!!

I do not follow the crowd..........