Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 12-06-2011, 08:38 AM
mattie

Dangerous Hydrogenated Fats

Scan all labels for hydrogenated fat (solid shortening, like Crisco). They are now calling it interestified to try to dodge the hydrogenated word as many are learning how dangerous this is to our cardiovascular system.

I’ve seen hydrogenated fat in several foods in which it was completely unexpected (pork loin w/ marinade & ice cream). In the pork loin it was in the marinade. Ice cream has cream milk fats, but these aren’t hydrogenated.

The solid tropical oils of palm & coconut are OK, but not if they are artificially hydrogenated. Coconut oil can be easily obtained for personal use & is available in many groceries. Palm oil is great as a shortening substitute to grease pans for baked goods.

Many food manufacturers have removed dangerous hydrogenated fats, substituting heart-friendly tropical oils. Artificial colors & preservatives should also be eliminated from food products. Emailing these manufacturers who have these unhealthy items in their food products & urging others to do so via social networks on the web can be very effective.
Old 15-06-2011, 09:04 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattie
The solid tropical oils of palm & coconut are OK, but not if they are artificially hydrogenated. Coconut oil can be easily obtained for personal use & is available in many groceries. Palm oil is great as a shortening substitute to grease pans for baked goods.
Palm oil is a major cause of deforestation in Asia (just like rice and tea).

So in line with this thread.. If we consume palm oil we could be supporting the destruction of the homes of many forest animals, plus the animals themselves.
There are more animals (more iconic ones) in the world than the farm animals..

Some meat products can be more environmentally friendly and can have less involved animal killing than some vegetarian products.
It can also be the other way around (especially with beef), so it's a matter of looking at specifics.

Some food for thought.
Old 15-06-2011, 09:45 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysaetos
You forgot rennet, which is often found in cheese.
Unfortunately rennet also is used in beer and wine production. you can seek out non rennet alternatives too.
Old 15-06-2011, 06:39 PM
akatreehuggerni

Bunny wow

Wow have I been too trusting of the companies, I'll definately start reading the labels more closely. I eat mostly organic but every once in a while I will buy something, well, not so organic, but still I don't think its fair that they are tricking people .
Old 15-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Master
I'mn ot even close to being vegetarian but heard long time ago there was a certain tomato worm content in ketchup/catsup, no real surprise there. Do you consider that 'meat'?