Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 27-08-2020, 11:08 AM
Guide
Double post. Sorry...
Old 27-08-2020, 11:16 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by green1
This depends on the Buddhist path I guess. According to Thich Nhat Hanh, connection with God is very important, without it we waste our life:

https://youtu.be/lrJxMLesolk

Yes He does talk about God a lot but His interpretation is not the same as a Christians idea. Life itself is His idea of God's Kingdom.
Old 27-08-2020, 11:26 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by green1
This depends on the Buddhist path I guess. According to Thich Nhat Hanh, connection with God is very important, without it we waste our life:

https://youtu.be/lrJxMLesolk

Erm... I can't say I liked the video, but my preferences are not relevant. If someone likes it or does not like it makes no difference. Preferences are individual, beliefs are individual, religious background or atheism is individual; but dhamma is universal and applies the same to everyone.
Old 27-08-2020, 11:39 AM
ketzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untersberg56
The so-called "Shroud of Turin", subjected on three occasions to radio carbon dating, provides proof that the material of the shroud was made between 1260 AD and 1390 AD.

It is not easy to see how this proves God one way or the other.

Don't be silly, of course it does. Jesus must just have appeared on the Shroud of Turin after it was made. It happens all the time. Not as much as it used to though, as people don't iron their sheets as much as they once did. It's just his little way of reminding you that God is always watching you. Jesus shows up on potato chips, in the browning pattern on your pancakes or toasted bread (not English muffins though), and even in the nacho cheese pattern on the odd Doritos here and there. It has to be a genuine Doritos though, not one of those store brand tortilla chips, he is God after all.
Old 27-08-2020, 01:18 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketzer
Don't be silly, of course it does. Jesus must just have appeared on the Shroud of Turin after it was made. It happens all the time. Not as much as it used to though, as people don't iron their sheets as much as they once did. It's just his little way of reminding you that God is always watching you. Jesus shows up on potato chips, in the browning pattern on your pancakes or toasted bread (not English muffins though), and even in the nacho cheese pattern on the odd Doritos here and there. It has to be a genuine Doritos though, not one of those store brand tortilla chips, he is God after all.

He is on English Muffins, I accidentally smeared Jam on His beard this morning...
Old 27-08-2020, 02:48 PM
Master

belief in God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Belief in God is considered irrelevant or unnecessary or unimportant in Buddhist philosophy. Thus, if a person believes or does not believe in God makes no difference, and anyone from any religion, including atheists, can engage with Dhamma teachings.
Belief in God is useful and important bur certainly not mandatory as u say. Many a times in history people believing in God have done lot of wrong than right. So belief in God is not certificate to divinity. Purpose and actions too are very important.Thought patterns and actions in the world are also important part in the life. Like Buddhism all religions accepts atheists also if they engage with true teachings of those religions .

Like Buddha said " I am awake " when somebody asked him if he was God , others in the history too have been asked same question . They too have answered the question the way Buddha rightly answered .The question is kinda tricky one because Gods never/rarely say/claim I am God . If they routinely claim it that way , he/she really is not God/Goddess . God (like other nomenclature like saints , angel ) are what others give and for one to claim himself or herself about it is self-aggrandizement/propaganda.

And also those believing God also do not claim and can not claim to know God fully . That would simply be exaggeration . Being in the finite one can only glimpse the ways of infinite really with modesty, honesty and discipline. And these glimpses such people when recorded/documented becomes sciences / scriptures and is what the treasure of humanity as whole .

But I certainly would go with Green1 that belief in God ( along with right thoughts and actions) , life in the long run can be better in all aspects with relatively lesser efforts .

Last edited by HITESH SHAH : 27-08-2020 at 04:10 PM.
Old 27-08-2020, 03:16 PM
ketzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
He is on English Muffins, I accidentally smeared Jam on His beard this morning...
Well doggonit he does get around don't he. I didn't think he would show up there an account of what it does to his complexion. Anyway, I don't think I would be eating an English Muffin with a beard regardless of how much jam one puts on it. Are you sure that's the J man, or perhaps that muffin is a little past the expiration date. Best not to try to resurrect some things.
Old 28-08-2020, 09:02 AM
Master
HHDL.

A man addressed the Dalia Lama, I understand Buddhism does not believe in God. What is your opinion about God ? Does God exist or not ? His Holiness laughed, grabbed the hands of the two spiritual leaders on each side of him, lifted them in the air, fixed his gaze upon the audience, and said emphatically, God exists or God does not exist. Leave it for us. Your task is to learn how to live peacefully.

' People believe that God is an embodiment of love and compassion, yet that belief does not stop them from their hatred and cruelty. It was clear then, and it is clear in today's times, that a mere belief in God does not automatically make us good, and that a lack of such beliefs do not make us bad. Mere belief does not take away doubts, fear, or destructive and negative behaviour. '
Old 28-08-2020, 09:25 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by HITESH SHAH
Belief in God is useful and important bur certainly not mandatory as u say.

Some people seem to find it useful and some find it important, and other people do not, but in either case, such individuals can equally engage in dhamma and neither are advantaged or disadvantaged by their respective views.

Quote:
Many a times in history people believing in God have done lot of wrong than right. So belief in God is not certificate to divinity. Purpose and actions too are very important.Thought patterns and actions in the world are also important part in the life. Like Buddhism all religions accepts atheists also if they engage with true teachings of those religions.

Yes, well said. Dhamma concerns the actuality of nature, with respect to the reality of individuals' condition.

Quote:
Like Buddha said " I am awake " when somebody asked him if he was God , others in the history too have been asked same question . They too have answered the question the way Buddha rightly answered .The question is kinda tricky one because Gods never/rarely say/claim I am God . If they routinely claim it that way , he/she really is not God/Goddess . God (like other nomenclature like saints , angel ) are what others give and for one to claim himself or herself about it is self-aggrandizement/propaganda.

It is not like Buddha is some sort of special person. Indeed, a very wise, insightful, intelligent and articulate individual with relevant teachings on dhamma, but it's a mistake to revere and swallow the teachings whole in blind faith. It is more like saying, Well, this one is enlightened; a wise and intelligent man, so I'll give these teachings the benefit of the doubt, and look into it so I can find out for myself if they true or untrue.

Quote:
And also those believing God also do not claim and can not claim to know God fully . That would simply be exaggeration . Being in the finite one can only glimpse the ways of infinite really with modesty, honesty and discipline. And these glimpses such people when recorded/documented becomes sciences / scriptures and is what the treasure of humanity as whole .

Yes, people who talk about God are not necessarily truthful, and in spiritual circles there is a great deal of pretentious posturing. In Buddhist practice we are alone with the truth, having nowhere to turn, and only then do we really begin to pay attention and really discern.

Quote:
But I certainly would go with Green1 that belief in God ( along with right thoughts and actions) , life in the long run can be better in all aspects with relatively lesser efforts .

People want to believe in God and think it is important, no difference to some atheist with the counter view, but right thought and action equally applies, and because it is universally applicable to every human being without exception, it can classified as dhamma.
Old 28-08-2020, 09:33 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketzer

I own an iron, but have no reason to.