Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 11-05-2011, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicsinner
Fantastic answer,

here is some more -

The traditional Sanskrit explanation of the name Vishu involves the root viś, meaning "to settle, to enter", or also (in the Rigveda) "to pervade", and a suffix nu, translating to approximately "the All-Pervading One". An early commentator on the Vedas, Yaska, in his Nirukta, defines Vishnu as 'vishnu vishateh; one who enters everywhere', and 'yad vi****o bhavati tad vishnurbhavati; that which is free from fetters and bondages is Vishnu.'
So in other words that which pervades everything is Vishnu.
It's almost a breath of fresh air to hear this rather than the Christian versions of existence.

I mean I love Jesus --- but the baggage of the misinterpretations that we need some sort of salvation and that there was original sin is not in the Hindu mind.

Vishnu is all-pervading, how simple is that.
This is why I gravitate more to the Eastern traditions.

Sorry, let's not start talking about Christianity, I slipped.

Ah, Vishnu - and all His manifestations...

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 11-05-2011, 03:58 PM
Master
Thanks epic sinner (fab name by the way) yes I love `the all pervading one` translation too, it hits the nail right on the spam (zen answer). The thing is, (well I believe anyway) we are in god, not seperate from him/her, only isolated by our `self perception`, our ego. Thats the science bit, folks, but getting that knowing of being divine, actually egolessly understanding it, well that must be a fine thing, and I hope to Vishnu, that `I` get it soon. I ardently hope and pray you do too.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Knower
I hope I get it too like you all, wow.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:41 PM
epicsinner

I love the central theme of all religion/sect/belief , otherwise, that all acknowledge the supreme divine and all strive for the ultimate truth, but here is a catch along with time and along the path the original theme gets diluted or distorted by different interpretations and theories etc, but they are basically isomers , so lets scratch a little more the surface of the cocoon so that the core theme gets the light and let all enjoy, cheers all.love all and god bless all, we all belong to one source.The seemingly divergent pathways actually converge at the same point.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:27 PM
Master

Hi Miss Hepburn,

Regarding your story with the flood...

My recollection of the version I heard is that it was someone? with Krishna who was asking Him (I think incredulously) how is it possible that the Maya of life has such power, that it can completely obscure God-awareness and God-search. Krishna says, "I'll answer you, but first please get me some water, I am thirsty". The seeker goes to the well and the rest occurs...he sees the girl, falls in love, courts her (completely forgets about Krishna), marries, has children, an entire life, etc. This lasts for 12 years (in real actual time), then the rains occur, and flood with everything being swept away, which in despair makes him think of Krishna. At the moment he thinks of Krishna, he is immediately back with Krishna in the original scene, Who gives some kind of, "See I told you so - that's how!"

Can you imagine living 12 years as an induced dream? (I guess the moral of the allegory is that we do this)

Water is significant in the story in different forms as a metphor for consciousness - seeking it and service to Krishna, sustainment of life, rain as Compassion, Flood is overwhelming of Divine Consciousness, etc.

I am sure there are many variations but that is the one I heard.
Thanks for flooding my memory of Krishna in this thread!

~ J
Old 06-11-2013, 12:06 AM
whispering wind

I wanted to share with you I recently had a experience that I do not understand. I know very little about Hinduism and actually knew nothing about it when this occurred. What happened was I was in a store and my husband I I were getting some stones. I was walking around the store and felt a strong draw to something but I didn't know what it was. I felt as if I could not leave the store until I found it. I looked around thinking it was probably a stone but had no particular draw to any of them. I walked by a group of small hindu figures and really thought that couldn't be it so continued to walk around the store . Again I walked by the figures and felt the draw was there. I picked up a figure and my hand tingled and warmed up. I felt a great amount of energy as I held it. I tried putting it down but couldn't. I asked the owner who the figure was. She told me it was Lakshmi. Each time I hold the figure I have the same feeling as I did in the store. Later I looked up Hinduism wondering why I had such a draw to the figure. I couldn't find much in my search until a few day ago. I came across an article written about SRiLA PRABHUPADA . In this article something I had been searching for a long time became very clear. I know know what will happen after I leave this body . Again I went to another place and was again drawn to hindu figures. I felt a great peace and comfort when near them. I have no idea why this occurred or what I should do now. I was brought up in a Christian family but no longer follow that religion it simply did not feel right. I began to fear that nothing would feel right and felt like I was just going through the motions of living. I thought perhaps I'd take some yoga classes and do more research on hindu. Any ideas on why this happened or what I should do from here. Thanks so much for reading.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:46 AM
kumarjitghoshal

whispering wind ,
don't worry , every piece of knowledge will fall upon time. There is no christian or Islam or any other religion for Sanathan Dharma.If you are a throbbing piece of life or a tiny particle of universe ...... you are included in Sanathan Dharma regardless of your personal Beliefs.
" Vasudhaiba Kutumbakam " - this is one big family , with so many diversities, but all are accepted.
Old 11-08-2020, 06:49 PM
What a thread! Thanks Kralaro for reminding us--2011 - ha!

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 30-03-2021, 03:41 AM
Suspended

Tridev god