Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 18-09-2019, 10:22 AM
Master
Surrender

I wanted to hear peoples thoughts on surrender in spiritual development.

I believe it is possibly the most unspoken about, yet most important practice hidden within every other practice.

If you meditate, you surrender to a single point of focus, if you mantra you surrender all other thoughts and reduce them to a single chant.

If you pray you surrender for a few moments to a greater reality.

If you act humbly you try to surrender to those around you.

At the heart of all spiritual practices is an element of surrender.

One of the difficulties for many aspirants these days is that society doesn`t like to surrender, we live in a world where the ego is big so many struggle to surrender.
What do you think?
Old 18-09-2019, 10:38 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyzen

I believe it is possibly the most unspoken about, yet most important practice hidden within every other practice.

If you meditate, you surrender to a single point of focus, if you mantra you surrender all other thoughts and reduce them to a single chant.

One of the difficulties for many aspirants these days is that society doesn`t like to surrender, we live in a world where the ego is big so many struggle to surrender.
What do you think?

Hi Pete

I suppose there are many aspects to surrendering depending on the situation at hand but where there is control there is a deeper level of fear attached.

Letting go of life in regards to what happens to you is one form of surrendering and another form as I see it is letting go of the self in a way where what you are is realized that is not self.

Having trust and faith in whatever transpires is difficult especially when sufferings are experienced and observed in other's.

Perhaps one can both feel the sufferings on one hand and not be entirely happy with the situation but know on some level that this is part of our life's creation..

If there is no blame other than self, then there is an awareness present that reflects acceptance for things as they are. I see acceptance as surrender's second cousin ..

x daz x
Old 18-09-2019, 10:50 AM
Master

Quote:

What do you think?

I agree completely.

There are many struggles on the journey of inner growth, and these struggles seem to push us to the point where we are finally ready to give up and surrender. And maybe the biggest surrender is when we let go of all that is familiar, all that we identify with, all that we think we are, and take that step into the unknown. And then we realise that we have lost nothing by surrendering; instead we have gained a greater state by letting go of that which was small and limiting.

Peace
Old 18-09-2019, 11:26 AM
Master
Surrender is all about letting go but it is not about giving up. Society thinks of surrender as giving up but spiritual surrender is only about letting go. There is a difference. In this physical world wealth is determined by how much you can hold on to while in the spiritual realm wealth is determined by how much we can let go of. Surrender is for our benefit in the spiritual realm as well as in this physical realm.

The Law of Reversal is expressed in our mental attitude; as physical matter is but a reflection of spiritual light, or energy, and a reflection is the opposite of that which is being reflected, like looking in a mirror your reflection is reversed, it is also true of dynamics in this physical realm verses dynamics in the so-called spiritual realm.

The word “man” is and English noun, derived from a Sanskrit root, manas, meaning “mind” as the senses and thinking principle. The suspension of personal mental activity via concentration initiates us into spiritual surrender. To reverse one’s mental attitude can take them out of the thinking box and bestow a freedom beyond thought. Basically what we do is surrender our control, our logic, and rationalizations; which instills humility.

Many dynamics on the spiritual realm are the opposite of what we have in this physical world. This physical world is largely the path of the head while the spiritual world is the path of the heart. Logic and reasoning dominates this physical realm while intuition prevails in the spiritual realm. The physical realm is based on conditions while the spiritual realm is unconditional. So what we surrender are the dynamics of the physical realm so that we can enter the spiritual realm.

It is and internal surrender and has little to do with external conditions. A spiritual person can have external wealth, but the key is not to be attached to that external wealth. You have to be able to thread the eye of a needle with your conscience. Your conscience must be clear, and that is where surrender comes in. Basically surrender means not to be attached. Buddhists talk about impermanence; everything in this physical realm is temporary; so we let go, and not get attached to, the temporary and hold on to that which is within us, which is permanent.
Old 18-09-2019, 11:32 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:

What do you think?

AMEN.
I see that the highest level of surrender is to surrender ones Will to the highest being in the universe, always desiring to do what He wills in thought, action, and all our daily life.

Not my will but thine... that is the highest mantra.

Not my will but thine... this is the best prayer.

The heart of the true spiritual practice is in surrendering ones Will to the Divine (provided that they know what that Will is).

Not my will but thine.
Old 18-09-2019, 02:22 PM
Master
Quote:

What do you think?

The only valid surrender is surrender of our attachment to delusion
The delusion that entraps us in narrow walls of ego conditioning
Once we let go off stagnation we regain our innate blissful orientation
Simply flowing in the now continuum and nonchalantly witnessing

To make this happen we must as such be to become
Aligned in thought-word-deed with conscience one

Old 18-09-2019, 03:21 PM
My thoughts on surrender...surrendering thoughts while meditating - no problem,
surrendering some ego anger or slight towards me (happens often
on another forum, ha)- really no problem.
Surrendering my old Bostonian/East Coast road-rage--no problem.

Surrendering tougher things: an unwanted feeling...loss, hurt, worry, dread, guilt, pride; then being uppity! Ha...
has been a wonderful thing and began years ago when I decided to follow Jesus directive...give your burdens (I say to God)...
be anxious for nothing, cast your cares, do not worry.

Those are blocks to God's Love...ya can't be thinking of and loving God if you're worrying or angry at someone.
If your cup is full of those ...it can't be filled with God's Love, Wisdom, Joy and Peace.

So give those burdens away, (feel them for 2 seconds, sure, they come upon us)...trusting God...
thus, surrendering doubt or dread....these were the things for me to overcome and surrender.

And so far so good! I find God so easy to trust...cuz He's right there, right here all the time, all around me and in me!

And sometimes if I am feeling a sense of loss of a loved one...I say to God..."You are having me feel this for a reason, Lord".
And I let it happen, surrendering to that moment of being human...
cuz it's all for a reason, this I know.

(Vivekananda~ There are 2 doors into the mind, the back door is guilt, the front door is pride.)

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 19-09-2019, 02:43 AM
Master
Quote:

What do you think?

I make it about my own surrender when it comes to others.

Change and choices grow when we grow and flow with life..

Potential of others lies in me as my potential..

How my own presence is with all life can be the difference between seeing the world in struggle or being proactive in how I connect to it. Sometimes we do have to change our perception to see people differently..
Old 22-09-2019, 02:38 AM
Master
Yeah, so...

Create this image, this scenario in your mind...

You are in an intense, loving relationship...the most beautiful, awesome, heart melting, consciousness expanding thing ever!

You realise that your partner loves you very deeply, yet your whole relationship is based and built upon showing just how much it is you love them! You buy them flowers, chocolates, jewelry and things they like every day....you call them up about a dozen times a day...your love is starting to border on obsession, isn't it?

Thing is that you cannot help it because there is no other way the heart can express this kind of love in a 3D world, but it tries...maybe you are overcompensating due to an inability to truly and fully love yourself? maybe you need to "show" or "prove" your worthiness TO be loved?...who knows WHY you are smothering your partner...but they aren't taking it very well.

All they want is the opportunity to show how much it is that they love you...and not by giving you material things...not by saying any sweet words but by giving you a blast of transcendental, unconditional, cosmic love...but you have all of your walls up..."I know you love me my dear...I love you too...here, let me put a flower in your hair...".

So, love turns into an act of worship. You are not worshiping because you want/need anything, worship becomes the act of love expressing itself unto love without any expectation...until one day, you hear this:

"I need you to stop loving me for just a few minutes to let me show you just how much it is that I love YOU..."

...and you sorta go, "how could I ever stop loving you, even for a second?"

Then, the voice speaks again..

"True love is not about what you feel... it's about what you don't feel. It has the ability to let go, accept and to trust fully...do you trust me?"

When a Bhakta gets to this point, they will usually find themselves in full prostration, face down on the floor, waiting for the universe to consume them out of a sense of humility, unworthiness, insignificance...trying not to feel love without any negative connotation...as I was.

What happens next needs to be personally experienced and that's all I could ever possibly say about that.

I have been through this about a dozen times in my life and I know that I could do with more...a LOT more..

Thing is that over the years I have taken all of this love for granted, as we also often tend to do...the love is still there of course, but the passion has died...the fire has gone out...on my side only, but not on God's side... that's if we are going to go the dualist route and actually believe there are "sides" involved in one's relationship with or to the Divine.

I cannot remember the last time I was totally lost in trance... Sometimes I will feel one coming on, but it is always "not now... can we do this another time?" and I will think and reason my way out of it...until in the end, the prompts don't bother prompting me anymore.. .Me: "not tonight dear, I have a headache"....God: "want some Tylenol?"...lol

The ego is going to fight surrender every step of the way...even the 'loving ego" comes up with any and every excuse and God has heard them all before..."why do I need to surrender to you when you know I love you?" is a good one. Then I get "yes, but can you feel how much I love you?" and I go "I know that you love me" and the reply is "that's not what I asked you?"

.....and I walk away singing the Barney the Dinosaur theme song.
Old 22-09-2019, 03:24 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:

What do you think?

there is also a surrender in allowing one to be who they are. however people may percieve that in whatever kind of ego that may be.

this is what my intuition told me and has proven to he true in my experience.

1. i am what i am

2. what im doing i just what im doing. who i am is just who i am

somehow we think that who we are as a person is how we open doors to whats beyond us. that is true. but its us locking us from it. not it locking us out. this is what my intuition calls programming.

Wherever I May Roam
https://youtu.be/Qq9PxuAsiR4